silent cap for primus omnilite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 10, 2015
Fife, Scotland
Hi all,

I'm a Primus Omnilite Ti user and really love the stove.However, it is loud even at 75% gas and I am quite sensitive to that kind of noise noise. Recently I have discovered BernieDawg's OmniPup, the Quietstove and now the official Primus Omnilite Silencer Cap.

Anyone have any opinions on these? Are they worth the money? They all seem to be highly regarded and work well.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Primus say re their Omnilite silencer cap that The silencer is not suitable when burning diesel, kerosene/paraffin or aviation fuel

Apr 10, 2015
Fife, Scotland
Thanks chaps.

AndyBB: That shouldn't be a problem as I usually use Primus PowerGas with 350ml of white gas as a back up. Cheers for the advice though...handy to know.

Rik: I wish I had got one when Gary was making them. Really good craftsmanship. How do you get on with your BernieDawg cap? I assume it works for you?

I have access to a machine shop but I just don't have the time to spend a weekend making one. I'm seriously considering going on to BernieDawgs Shapeways store and having one "printed".

I'll report back when I have decided.

Cheers,

Andy

Apr 10, 2015
Fife, Scotland
I kind of like it too Rik but recently we had an Omnilite, an Omnifuel and an MSR Micro Rocket all at 75-80% at the same time. Put it this way... a Harrier jet hovering very nearby would have gone unnoticed. Maybe it's kit I just don't need...a set of reusable earplugs might be more economical in the long run :)

Andy

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
If I was wanting a silencer I may try just clipping a piece of metal over the rim of the stove like the flame inpinger and drilling vertical holes in it. A vertial flame seems to be more economical rather than sideways ones. The problem being that the flame may not heat it up enough. To solve that you could have a small inpinger above the head to reflect/conduct a bit of heat back downwards.

The other thing you could try would be an infra red head like the msr reactor if you have the engineering recources at hand. All that you require is the flame to be held beneath the stove rose/head exit holes rather than above it. I accidentally made it with a primus spider,I turned it down low after rusting the mesh flamelift off inhibitor by leaving it in the rain when hot. A small infrared burn happened and burned it's way through the generator above it easily, leaving brass dripping over the stove! Impressed me alot. It should make enough heat to transmit to the brass omni.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I kind of like it too Rik but recently we had an Omnilite, an Omnifuel and an MSR Micro Rocket all at 75-80% at the same time. Put it this way... a Harrier jet hovering very nearby would have gone unnoticed. Maybe it's kit I just don't need...a set of reusable earplugs might be more economical in the long run :)

Andy

Fire up an army No12 if you want a really loud stove lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE