Sigg type bottle Meths stoves ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
I attempted the other day to make my first pop
can stove. Bit of a disaster as the can split
when i was pushing them together. I have seen
people use Sigg type bottles to make meths
stoves and fancy giving one a go. I have a
bottle and am going to take it into work and
cut it down on the mitre saw as it has an
aluminum cutting blade fitted far easier than
using a hacksaw. What size is best for the
holes/jets. Smallest drill bit i have is 1.5mm. Is
that ok. I will try again with the pop cans but
think the bottle type will be a more robust
stove.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I've done a couple of bottle stoves (both pan pressurised and open). Ideally you want a smaller drill bit (1mm), but unless you've got a dremel with a small collet you'll struggle to secure it. Must admit my method was more.... suck it and see.

They struggle a bit with cold kill, so its good to cut/file it so you end up with a few raised pan contact points.

Pics of the bodges I've done: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94070&p=1134280&highlight=#post1134280

Last edited:

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
I've done a couple of bottle stoves (both pan pressurised and open). Ideally you want a smaller drill bit (1mm), but unless you've got a dremel with a small collet you'll struggle to secure it. Must admit my method was more.... suck it and see.

They struggle a bit with cold kill, so its good to cut/file it so you end up with a few raised pan contact points.

Pics of the bodges I've done: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94070&p=1134280&highlight=#post1134280

Thanks that exactly what i was asking. In doing the middle one. Interesting idea about the internal jets.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Internal jets worked in the end.... but with huge cutouts in the sides to get air in and cut downs in the rim to stop cold kill. Its neat in that it directs the heat towards the centre of the pan rather than mostly outwards.

I got carried away with experimenting so a nice finish went out the window and the bodgematic1000 technique came to play (have dremel, will grind). The end result (apart from looking a god awful mess) was a stove that doesnt need to wait while it primes, doesnt cold kill, acts as its own potstand...... and should really be re-done to be vaguely neat. It'll boil 0.5L of water on 15ml of fuel in under 5 mins (really should re-test this and get proper times outdoors with a windshield).

Hopefully these links work, if you're easily offended by shoddy workmanship, look away!

http://i45.tinypic.com/33e6e74.jpg

Incidentally, unless you want the stove to also be the potstand you might as well do one of the monkey boy stoves. Its neat and minimal aggro.

Last edited:

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Links didn't work. I will most likely be using with a hobo stove (next Project on my list ) so pan support isn't an issue. was given a dremel type tool but no bits for it. Think i will invest in some they seem to be very useful for these jobs.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
You can tap the holes through using a dart to pierce the outer piece before assembling the stove. Use something rounded on the inside (piece of broom handle etc) to stop
you denting it. Masking tape helps when marking and protects from unwanted scratching.
burner 1.jpg

Have fun :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I made one out of an aluminium beer bottle yesterday:

Alustove.jpg

I made it a little taller than you need to but I wanted it to double up as a pot support and burner.

Quite like the look of the ebt.s above

Matt

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I attempted the other day to make my first pop
can stove. Bit of a disaster as the can split
when i was pushing them together.

Just a thought Steve, I always get better results making pop can stoves if I use the smaller diameter Red Bull size cans. Better strength - size ratio ? The normal size generally split on me:eek:

If you have not already tried with the smaller cans, give it a go :cool:

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I made an open burner stove out of one sigg bottle. I hacksawed it in half, cut both pieces to size, pushed them together. I then cut off the narrow mouth portion and I have an open burner stove. Will post pics later.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Off work tomorrow going to try pop can stove again. Problem is I now need to drink some cans of Stella so i have something to use. Better drink a few in case i split one.Its a hard life.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I find it easier to put some masking tape round the bottle at the height of the jets. It helps to mark them out and helps stop the drill from slipping. I use a 1 mm drill with some masking tape round it so it's held tighter in my drill and i drill them before i cut the bottle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE