Sicut. Something not quite the norm

You know how you can be mooching along in t'internet and come across something that sparks the neurons?
Well that happened to me whilst nosing about on Instagram
A chap by the username jollyroger3 posted a pic of a rather intriguing knife.
Its called the Sicut and was Australian special forces survival knife. Further reading into it showed that it was inspired/based upon an aboriginal flint tool called a leilira (i think ive spelt that correctly)
I found myself going back to the image quite a few times and ended up contacting our resident blacksmith extraordinaire Mr Budd to commission one for myself.
It arrived in the post saturday,promptly bit me as i was opening it and its AWESOME!
IMG_20170314_073339_222.jpg
Considering all i sent was a link to a different forum and the question can you make me one please i think Mr Budd's work is exceptional and i cannot wait to get out and play with it. Its a fine addition to my modern material primitive tools
However i do need to make a sheath for it as like all Dave's stuff its scary sharp.

Thanks Dave its a beaut

My understanding so far is its a small sharp pointy thing.
The chisel grind makes it easy to sharpen usin improvised sharpening stones

The 4 small holes allow it to be lashed to a short stick to make an improvised handle or can be lashed to a longer stick to use as a spear
More info will come when ive had a play

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Very interesting. Like a two edged version of those Siberian knives. The downside would be trying to convince an officer of the law that it wasn't intended for stabbing people.

Z

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I wonder how similar it is in shape/ size to aboriginal stone tools? Not something I know much about being more of a iron age sort of guy but it does look like it would fit nicely in the hand without any sort of handle like some Flint blades I've seen in museums, despite being double edged.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE