Sicut. Something not quite the norm

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why so Janne?
Ive seen plenty of posts of this knife on Instagram doing all sorts of things in a Nature setting.
And wednesday i'll be using it at my permission so again a nature setting

Well, it does not look user friendly. Weird handle, double edged.

Difficult to cut twigs with, difficult to baton. Difficult to cut bread, cheese, dry sausage.

Of course you can use it to perform all tasks a knife is for, but there are better knifes for that?
The design is more of a last ditch use. Like hurting other people?

I can imagine it would be fine for skinning animals with though.
Mr Budds workmanship is awesome!

Last edited:
Last ditch like in a survival kit as per the originals design spec?

It handles fine so far for cuttin twigs. I dont batton usin either an axe or using the fire to shrink the log to size
As for the handle its very comfortable and it can be lashed onto a stick to extend the handle length.
Dont forsee it being used for cuttin bread or cheese.
Its original design was meant for a survival kit which means its more a survival knife which whilst similar to bushcraft has different goals and thus different design spec

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In online litterature it says it was designed to be hidden and used to incapacitate, temporary or definitely, the enemy, or even finish your own life.

I did notice those holes and did think that it would make an awesome point for a spear, be it a thrusting or a throwing one.

If the design is copying a stone tool maybe it was a spear, arrow point?

I was issued with a Gerber dirk ( double edged) and found it quite useless in day to day nature tasks.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm interested to hear how well those deep curves work for hollowing. The chisel grind, double edges and deep curve might make that blade quite good for some carving.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
was very interested in how this knife would work so had a go at one myself using up a short off cut of 5mm o1. a little bigger at just over 5" overall length. needs heat treating
and finishing yet before i can test it.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
just finished a couple of these, one in 4mm and the other in 5mm o1, tried a couple sizes one in 4 3/4" and the 5 1/4"
they are actually quite handy little tools

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE