Sickened by vandals again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I don't like it when people vandalize nature. It's not good. People leave all sorts of crap in that little nature we have here too. :(

Learn the following "Mate, is that your gum wrapper" replace gum wrapper with item you saw them toss. Mild shame works a treat.
If they glower at you when you turn you back I find this funny and even more normal human / social decency enforcing "Put your hand to the back of your head, turn round with your hand stretched out like you are offering them somthing an say "Excuse me, Good Sir / Good Lady, I found these in the back of my head and I think they belong too you"
And if it comes to it rember this, A fist to the plums, a Knee to the Jaw and a Boot to the Happy sacs he will drop like any one else, I'll let you work that one out.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why do some bushcrafters get satisfaction from nonsensical mutterings about physical violence on those they deem offenders? Frustrated they cannot really hit people, fantasists or dangerous?

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Why do some bushcrafters get satisfaction from nonsensical mutterings about physical violence on those they deem offenders? Frustrated they cannot really hit people, fantasists or dangerous?

Well because I am willing to inflict violence on them perhaps if given provocation? I have had it out with poachers with everything from words, fists and worse, I have punched hard core right wing tossers in the face when they have spat at Muslim an Jewish friends, I have scrapped my whole life because I am willing to stand up for what I believe in, my rule in life is never start the bad, but always finish it.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Well because I am willing to inflict violence on them perhaps if given provocation? I have had it out with poachers with everything from words, fists and worse, I have punched hard core right wing tossers in the face when they have spat at Muslim an Jewish friends, I have scrapped my whole life because I am willing to stand up for what I believe in, my rule in life is never start the bad, but always finish it.

As I said, dangerous.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
As I said, dangerous.

As I have said before, I am not every one. I just happen to be me not every one can or do what I can, I just happen to be a big *******, who has morals and beliefs and is willing to stand up for them. Prefertable with my words as a first option, if I have to use my size an build in response to a lesser argument I will but I will do so reluctantly and as a last option. Just because I am called Gallootie by some mates and Yettie by others has no bearing in the fact I will engage in discussion until forced to use my other attributes and with some exceptions I always do so reluctantly.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I get it totally. You have to stand up for what you believe to be right and true

Well bluntly yes, infact the only time I go from 0 to punch is when some one attacks some one on racial or sexual grounds, and even then I always try and find a other option. My first weapon is my mind my last weapon is my fists and that is how I will always be, I will never start something I will always talk truthfully and I am always open to the position of others, but I will always stand up to a bully even if we are on the same side ideologically because if you are the first to resort to violence you are always the first losser!.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty around Loch Lomond Ronnie :(

Its one of the sad facts that, much as we might all wish people to use land access responsibly, a significant minority do not and cause real problems. The damage caused by that minority means that many land owners are resistant to increased access because it damages the trees they plant and pay for. They receive no compensation for that damage.

I just imported two very small True Service Trees to go with the Wild Service and other rarer trees I am trying to plant. They are small and will take decades to establish well. If faced with damage to something like that that had cost both money and time to plant, I suspect I would simply stop trying. I will happily share them with fellow responsible enthusiasts - but I can understand why many landowners are reluctant to have all and sundry on their land when things like those shown above happen.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That looks like kids with a saw. Judging by the height and mindless waste.
They were probably never shown how to use a saw or the respect the tool deserves. Never mind being shown how to use one to actually make something rather than destroy.
I doubt they had bad intentions just a lack of understanding.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

It's just a tentative to fall to the same level as the offenders, a sort of vitual empathy. ..............don't worry it's just harmless fun, something about sitting behind a computer turns some folk into bottom kicking Rambos..:D......also since we arn't able to discuss politics on this forum, it's a subtle way of communicating to us, which way they vote.;)

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a theory on this.

Shame. There is none. When I was young I did stupid things and made stupid mistakes, but they were pointed out and I felt ashamed for being a tool, so I didn't make those mistakes again. When confronted for doing things wrong I have noticed the predominant reaction now, rather than shame is aggression.

My friend put it well, we all pee'd in the fountain, you and I did it when drunk and felt ashamed when we were caught, now, they do it in broad daylight and confront you 'What you going to do about it'.

The actions haven't changed, it's the development beyond the mistakes I am concerned over.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
It's just a tentative to fall to the same level as the offenders, a sort of vitual empathy. ..............don't worry it's just harmless fun, something about sitting behind a computer turns some folk into bottom kicking Rambos..:D......also since we arn't able to discuss politics on this forum, it's a subtle way of communicating to us, which way they vote.;)

What you mean European Federalist? Because in all seriousness that they way I vote.

My friend put it well, we all pee'd in the fountain, you and I did it when drunk and felt ashamed when we were caught, now, they do it in broad daylight and confront you 'What you going to do about it'.

It's one thing to pee in the fountain it's another to drop anthrax in the water supply, and sadly this is what this kind of thing can end up in.
I know from sad experience seeing young trees is a excuse for vandals to have at it, maybe through ignorance maybe through some form of anarchistic glee but I have seen parks and green spaces created by councils turned from pleasant places to spend a day or evening into a place with grass and tree's burned for no other reason than they are there in many places in this sad country. I think perhaps this is a twofold problem, One being kid's acting out for what ever reason and Two being the apathy of the majority of parents on the subject.

The Children are acting out, maybe depression that they feel they wont be able to progress in station from either the Dole or low level job OR maybe a I am miserable so I will attack anything that gives me or others joy so they can feel as miserable as I am attitude.
The adults of the current crop of teens and the last crop seem to have a attitude of "Kid's they will learn", or sadly "I don't want to tell my kids off they are XYZ to me", I will just point out that I have friends who are parents and I sadly see a attitude of I want to be friends with my kids not the school teacher with a number of them, and I find that attitude worrying. Be a responsible parent first, a friend second and the latter should only happen once they are responsible enough to take responsibility for there own actions. and prove that they can be a respectable decent person.

And I equated it to dropping Anthrax in a water supply because well, councils only have so much of a budget, patience and to be frank a effort to give a care to areas in respect of 3rd level services. After a few times of trying a counil will stop providing services to that area if the cost get's to high, be it redeploying the money to another are that is not vandalized, use the budget for something else or use the money in another area that isn't suffering and plant more tree's and gardens elsewhere in established gardens.
The anthrax of vandalism is not the visible problem we can all regret but the invisible one of a cost / benefit ratio, that sadly leaves places worst off in the longer term.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Plenty around Loch Lomond Ronnie :(

Aye, it's a bit different down there...

My daughter threw a running about in the woods party a couple of years back. One of our 5 year old guests was a classic ADHD kiddie, lovely boy if you looked deep enough but kind of chaotic. Soon after arrival he started trying to tear up a small sapling. I explained to him that we have to look after trees, that trees are precious and that we need to help them grow. He really heard me and the rest of the afternoon went fine.

I agree with dwardo, kids just need to have some sensible role models and some simple explanation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE