Siamhammocks, anyone tried one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I came across these
http://www.siamhammock.com/specs.php
about a year ago. I was very tempted to buy one, decided against as the netting is white, meaning can't so easily see the night sky from inside.

They read like a great bit of flexible kit , hammock/tent midgenet and poncho/tarp, I keep being tempted everytime I have a little cash spare, I figure just over £100 given P&P with import tax.

I've done numerous web searches to try to find anyone who's actually used one but not found any sort of independent review anywhere, so anyone here know anything about them?

Just a bit loathe to splash out on something that sounds so good when I've never heard anyone else mention them ever. Mind you I'd half expect to hear more if they were useless than extremeley good.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
wizard said:
Go for the Mosquito Hammock, cheaper and very well made. Also has dark green netting.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

I did very nearly buy one but a group but insect net came up I thought that'd satisfy my hammock needs but alas nobody warned me that they'd get as bad as the stove constuction ones ;)

I'm trying ( not too sucessfully ) to talk myself out of, not into, getting another hammock, having 3 already. 1 Bushkit pro pod ( I use with Travelproof basha, group buy mozzie net and with group buy underblanket on the way ) an early DDhammock and later DDcombo. Not been keen to use the DDcombo with it's own tarp as the tarp is 2 pieces of material sewn together, The pictures of the Mosquito Hammock tarp look similarly constructed, though the seams are more towards the ridgeline. Doesn't strike me as such a good idea but I guess if it's seem sealed it should work well enough. The MosquitoHammock by itself is an option as it does look like I could make some poles to use it in a tent formation too. If I do get the SH the DDcombo will live with the girlfriend, who's only 5'2" and not likely to come out except in fair weather.

I just keep going back to look at the Siamhammocks as I like that versatile complete unit thing, to take with me weekends away, when I'm not really intending to camp out but might change my mind and do so anyway. Kinda throw in the back of the car/motorbike topbox with my emergency kit idea, along with nomad tropical quilt/poncho liner, small billy containing homemade versatile cooker which burns meths, hexi, wood and today I got it working with parafin lamp oil, using a cotton wool wick to get it primed ( next task will be trying to get it working with cooking oil ) must get round to tidying it up and taking pictures soon.

As you can tell I like flexibility of use in my kit, hence the continued appeal of the Siamhammock even though I don't really need another one. So back on track, anyone used a Siamhammock?

I've still yet to decide on a 3X3 Tatonka TC2 or Hennessey Hex fly as my luxury tarp purchase for more planned excursions.

Hmm payday is so stressfull sometimes ;)

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Glen, it is WORSE than the sodacan stove addiction. To date I have made 8 hammocks, with plans for a 9th. They get closer to my ideal with each one.
Maybe I can beat the habit by enjoying new hammocks vicariously through you ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
wentworth said:
Glen, it is WORSE than the sodacan stove addiction. To date I have made 8 hammocks, with plans for a 9th. They get closer to my ideal with each one.
Maybe I can beat the habit by enjoying new hammocks vicariously through you ;)

I may have to borrow the girlfriend's sewing machine myself soon ;)

Meanwhile, purely to help you out you understand, I just bought a Siamhammock combo on US ebay for a mere 79USD. Only weeks after I parted with one of the DD hammocks too.

Be interesting for us all to see how your own ones have evolved.

My "emergency hammock" is a simple rectangle of waterproofed ripstop synylon with cord sew in each end, which can be used as hammock, basha/hootchie, groundsheet or combined with poncho to make a 3 walled tent. Doesn't really excell as a hammock but for 400g and not much space it's worth taking with me most times out. It's not the best thing for any of it's funtcions but makes a reasonable back up for all of them, as well as a basha extension which was it's original intention.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE