Showell Styles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Hi All,
I wanted to ask people who or what got you interested in the outdoors pursuits that we all participate to some extent or other ? I thought it would be interesting to see what inspired people and see if that has changed down the years.

For myself it was a chance reading of a book 'Backpacking' by Showell Styles when I was 11. It was a revelation. Neither of my parents were outdoorsy types (both Londoners) and this book told me of the joys of carrying your home on your back and through that, being able to visit parts of the world less travelled. He also wrote a book called 'Backpacking in Alps and Pyrenees' that still makes for a good guide book and read in it's own right.

He advocated using a staff and was mocked - until everyone started using walking poles. He was of the generation that, because they weren't well off, innovated, invented and modified their kit to suit their needs rather than have 4 rucksacks and 12 waterproofs. From a time before built in obsolesence, this year's colours and must-have and where if it weren't wore out or broke then it wasn't necessary to change/fix it.

He also wrote something like 160 books including period Naval novels, childrens books etc under his name and 2 pseudonyms(?).

A great guy, sadly missed (2005) and a man who quite literally changed my life. I wish I'd met him to tell him of the places I had visited thanks to him.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used a lot of his guides when I started out - but the inspiration for me came from "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby, swiftly followed by his other "Journey through..." books.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Showell Styles - now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. I used to have his backpacking book when I was a teenager and loved it. Definitely an inspiration.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Pip Styles has been completely forgotten whereas the likes of Chris Townsend and the Crane brothers are often cited. (Not without some justification to be fair). 'Backpacking - A Comprehensive Guide' is a bible that has not lost it's relevance since it was written in the 70's -Unlike Blackshaw's Mountaineering ;-)

Who remembers Intermediate Technology and the Crames running across the Himalayas or Chris' long walks in the USA ? All equally awesome.

Dave

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
He advocated using a staff and was mocked - until everyone started using walking poles.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but what *are* walking poles for?

I was lucky enough to grow up in the countryside and I suppose that inevitably led to me developing a love of nature, wildlife, building dens and roaming at will. I was also lucky enough to find books like Walden and john seymours self sufficiency in my parents bookshelves and they were a huge influence on me.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I'm a towny.......but Dad took s camping every summer and easter during the school breaks, and back then camping and campsites where a fair bit more basic than that which most experience these days.....each year we would travel a different area.....scotland, wales the lake district,,,,etc

I think it was these camping trips which introduced me to the countryside that intilled in me a love of nature, the countryside and generally out door living....

we would canoe and sail, forage in woods and on beaches, fish in rivers etc....I had one hell of a playground compared to my friends who never left the town all summer and if they did it was butlins.....

I reconed back then I was fortunate and now I know I was.....

Smoggy

stevec038

Aug 11, 2008
Del City, OK, USA
Thanks to Dave the Pilgrim for his kind comments about Showell Styles. I am right now looking at a copy of his book "Backpacking A Comprehensive Guide" that I bought while in college in 1977. His simple approach, minimal kit, 3 day food plan and many other packing and hiking techniques were possibly the forerunner of ultralight or at least light backpacking. I still enjoy reading the chapter--A Backpackers Day. He had an influence on my packing that still goes on today over thirty years later.If any one has not had the chance to read Showell's work, I highly recommend it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry to go off on a tangent but what *are* walking poles for?

I was lucky enough to grow up in the countryside and I suppose that inevitably led to me developing a love of nature, wildlife, building dens and roaming at will. I was also lucky enough to find books like Walden and john seymours self sufficiency in my parents bookshelves and they were a huge influence on me.

:D
Walden was an ideal paid for by Big THs mates and basically a weekend retreat.
JS could not run his farm without the (vast amounts of) dosh made by showing other folks how to be self sufficient!
I have visitted Walden and heard the locals version of events (after the event- naturally) and have visitted JS place (and almost went on one of his courses - but ran out of dosh!)

The books - however - remain inspirational!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi All,
I wanted to ask people who or what got you interested in the outdoors pursuits that we all participate to some extent or other ? I thought it would be interesting to see what inspired people and see if that has changed down the years.

My brothers old copy of the Scout Patrol Leaders Handbook, I still have it today...

patrol_leaders_handbook.jpg

I remember begging some old washing line and string so I could build a knot-board in the garden shed :D

knotboard.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE