show your modified Opinel knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Here's my latest. Olive wood. Bit more understated then my usual pyrography but I didn't want to distract from the wood.

4445401367_43e44c8ab7.jpg

4445400125_e163d4106c.jpg

4445398987_d29f5ffa54.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Some of my first-try Opinel mods...What do you think?

Some of those are really nice.

There is an introduction section here where folks are asked to put one of their initial posts, new members are also permitted a single link on one post to a business venture where they offer a service (modifying Opinel Knives), so that members here know what they have to offer. You should look at section 8 of the rules you agreed too when you became a member here.

Nice work though, and hello and welcome. :)

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
1cabb59ba7ef4b2426578284c69aa1e3.jpg
I made it a drop point instead of a clip, and I rounded the end of the handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I made it a drop point instead of a clip, and I rounded the end of the handle

That's very similar to what I did with mine. I left the blade as a clip, but as the No. 6 pressed uncomfortably against my palm in use, I shaved the end down, removed the orange coating and gave it some beeswax instead. It's brought the beech up a treat.

20160207_102155_zpslgxinggr.jpg

One of the benefits of the tendency of the handle to swell, I've found, is with the virobloc removed and carried every day in a pocket (No.6 and smaller - a No. 7 or 8 is too long for EDC even without the lock), there's enough stiffness to stop the blade opening of its own accord and your body heat stops it getting so stiff you can't open it.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
It saws ok, not as great as a proper cross cut tho. Left just enough flat back for the striker. It was a shame the drill bit caught right at the last moment when I was doing the compas recess and split the wood, it superglued back ok tho!

The ferro rod mod was just an M5 Brass nut and bolt rounded off a bit. Drilling out the bolt was hard for the 4mm rod, in hindsight I should have reduced the ferro diameter a mm as there is not a lot of thread holding it in place, works fine tho!

It has since had a lanyard fitted, shown next to a no.8...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It saws ok, not as great as a proper cross cut tho. Left just enough flat back for the striker. It was a shame the drill bit caught right at the last moment when I was doing the compas recess and split the wood, it superglued back ok tho!

The ferro rod mod was just an M5 Brass nut and bolt rounded off a bit. Drilling out the bolt was hard for the 4mm rod, in hindsight I should have reduced the ferro diameter a mm as there is not a lot of thread holding it in place, works fine tho!

It has since had a lanyard fitted, shown next to a no.8...

:) Now that is nice bit of work there.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Ah yes ateallthepies - that makes things clearer. That is an ingenious survival knife solution, much better than those "Rambo" styled knives!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here is my modded number 12 saw.

Before the modification I was getting frustrated by the blade binding due to the handle swelling. There is no nail nick, and very little blade protrusion to grip hold of, so I thought I would drill an opening hole through the blade. The idea was to drill two holes using a carbide bit, and link them with the use of a diamond needle file. I managed the first hole, but when drilling the second, the metal between the hole and the blade spine broke away.

So I lowered the profile of the blade, losing about an inch from the tip in the process, and shortened and thinned the handle (I also eased the clearance around the blade pivot, to make opening easier).

The finished saw is more pocket friendly (when I got the saw it was a lot bigger than I expected)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE