show us your wannigans

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Never built one so no help from me :D If you build one you need to make it a nice curved corners so it fits and looks lovely in your canoe :D Contrasting woods and a nice harness incase you need to carry it about....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The uniquely talented JDLenton has one, and plans I believe.

Whilst I'd like to build one - I know it would never be anywhere near as good as his - maybe that's why I'm not starting it!

ATB

Ogri the trog

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Something I've been thinking about recently too Sam, something along the lines of a nice kitchen box for use at weekend camps for crockery, condiments, and brew kit, the things that you almost always need around a campfire. I'd be interested to see what people come up with.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Stanley 24" FatMax tool box for mine Sam, it takes plenty of cooking kit for multi day trips and makes a good seat too, the added bonus is it's waterproof so if I get tipped out I can easily recover it. When it's full of cast iron goodies I reckon it'll sink like a stone.

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds interesting, never heard the term before. So is wannigan stick a pot hanger then? Ive got a pouch with my brew kit and some condiments in it but I suspect it doesn't count.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a nice one made by Dr Jones of this parish
DSCF5587.jpg
Spalted wood top and 2 internal sections to divide clean from dirty. plus the outer holder for my frying pan.
I doubles as a seat or tabletop and is great as long as I do not have to carry it far!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Sounds interesting, never heard the term before. So is wannigan stick a pot hanger then? Ive got a pouch with my brew kit and some condiments in it but I suspect it doesn't count.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wannigan

[h=2]wan·i·gan[/h] [won-i-guh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
n
] Show IPA
noun1.a lumberjack's trunk.

2.a lumber camp's supply chest.

3.a small house on wheels or tractor treads, used as an office or shelter intemporary lumber camps.

4.(especially in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest) a lean-to or other smalladdition built onto a house trailer, cabin, etc.

Also, wan·gan, wan·gun [wang-guh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
n
] Show IPA , wan·ni·gan.

Origin:

1840&#8211;50; < Ojibwa wa·nikka·n pit, derivative of wa·nikke·- to dig a hole in theground < Proto-Algonquian *wa·&#952;ehke·- ( *wa·&#952;- hole + *-ehke·- make)

Although within the Bushcraft community it appears to mean "a box that fits in a canoe".

HTH

Stuart.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wannigan

Although within the Bushcraft community it appears to mean "a box that fits in a canoe".

HTH

Stuart.

Yeah I did check out the definition, I meant more the term 'Wannigan stick' which I read somewhere on here and I wondered if it referred to a pot hanger?
I've always known this sort of pot hanger as a Waigan stick. But perhaps Im just mispronouncing it, and it should in fact be called a Wannigan stick?

030.jpg

sorry :eek: :jacked:

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
A long experience with Wannigans here in a canoe-tripping context... By the way I always understood the stick variety to be a Waugan stick, but I'm not sure either.

First, I converted an old wooden case of wine into a wannigan, which looks great, especially with the chateau denomination still on the end. I embellished the lid with a NW People's painted design. However it is quite small and not of course waterproof. I always liked the idea of making a wooden wannigan to fit the curves of my canoe, but then I have several different canoes and it won't fit all of them. They also tend to be heavy. and not waterproof,

My next version was a Stanley Water Resistant toolbox. Very good, and cheap, but I soon found out that they are not at all waterproof if immersed in a loch and would, in fact, fill up and sink! if you are just vehicle camping, however, then this is not a consideration

After that I went the whole hog and got a large Pelicase. Totally waterproof and bombproof, and looks the part in olive green. Heavy, but with wheels and a handle. However, very expensive. This is my wannigan of choice for serious canoe trips.

After buying the Pelicase, I came across Duratool waterproof toolboxes. Although smaller, These are a fraction of the price of Pelicases and are totally waterproof. I take one of these on shorter trips.

From a vehicle-based camping perspective, there are some excellent Swedish army wannigan-style camp boxes, with pots pans and even a slot for an Optimus 111 stove, but they are big and heavy!

Here is a link to my Pelicase wannigan and also info on the Duratool box.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?26577-Wanigan-upgrade&highlight=wannigan

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
This is getting confusing. Can't we just use the terms 'box' (for keeping stuff in) and 'stick' (for hanging a pot over a fire)?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE