show us your wannigans

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never heard of the term till today. Lol.

Tiger

Yeah me too. Just ran a google image search and now I have to wipe drool off my keyboard.

Doing those curves on the base shouldn't be too much of an issue if you steam the 1/8 plywood and form it around the curve. Just don't be tempted to cut grooves on the inside face to assist the curve else it will break at the deepest cut.

Thanks for bringing this box to my attention Sam.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I know it wouldn't be pretty but how about converting a fishing seatbox? Maybe not so much for canoe use, but for a car camping set-up.
Certainly some very pretty wooden ones out there...

Found this tutorial too, but it is so out of my league.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I made that sound like a dig, I agree with your idea.

No offence taken, I get carried away...

Why spend £30 on a plastic box that says shakespeare on the side when I already own several plastic boxes ;).

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
No offence taken, I get carried away...

Why spend £30 on a plastic box that says shakespeare on the side when I already own several plastic boxes ;).

Haha! I remember when I was a kid and had a couple of cheaply plastic tackle boxes (still got 'em now) and wrote a letter to Shakespeare and Daiwa, asking for some free stickers which I then used to adorn said boxes. Job done!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Haha! I remember when I was a kid and had a couple of cheaply plastic tackle boxes (still got 'em now) and wrote a letter to Shakespeare and Daiwa, asking for some free stickers which I then used to adorn said boxes. Job done!

I used to make the annual trip to the anglers mail fishing show in Doncaster with my Dad. Tons of freebies including lots of stickers with which I did the same to my kingfisher Argos special. Load of those little plastic spool fillers too.

Anyhow, sorry OT. Jumpers for goalposts n all that.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, Made this wanigan out of 4mm ply and 3/4 by 3/4 wood to keep the weight down, but still be strong . The frame work is all butt jointed glue and screw. I added the flap on the right side to give more work surface

dsc00138vb.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi, Made this wanigan out of 4mm ply and 3/4 by 3/4 wood to keep the weight down, but still be strong . The frame work is all butt jointed glue and screw. I added the flap on the right side to give more work surface

dsc00138vb.jpg

That is a nice looking Wanigan but that picture reminds me of how terrible British bread can be. :)

For pot hangers, I believe (and I may well be wrong) that the name is 'Waughham stick'.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Very nice. I quite like the blue and yellow wannigan too.

You can get them on wheels too, even more useful then, if your camping buddy got one too you could even race them down hills when bored, it works for us :)

A couple of people have got all bleary eyed about fishing tackle boxes, mine was made by my granddad out of 1/4" ply and batons, it looked almost identical to this http://nwwoodsman.com/Articles/Wannigan.html but with a plain hinged lid. That worked well as a fishing box, so I'm guessing that a fishing box would work pretty well as a wanningan too, as Bushwacker said previously "a box is a box is a box".

As for the stick that you hang your billy from over the fire:

copper_head - Waigan
Nonsuch - Waugan
Me - Waidan
sandbender - Waugham

Do you think maybe we were all just talking to the same old drunk? :D

Cheers,

Stuart.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I now have another project on the list

THANKS!!!

seriously though these look useful for car camping as well as canoe trips!

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, not strictly a wannigan more a wooden box really. Plus i did'nt build mine, but rescued it at a car booty, it was looking rather miserable,covered in spilt paint, rusty hinges and handles, i got it for £4.
So back home i stripped the paint off and gave it some much needed TLC. I then hand painted on my logo, and gave it a few coats of varnish. It does have a few woodworm holes, but i feel it gives it character. I use for storing knives and the like when on courses.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE