Show us your smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I wish I could post photos but I am so last century. I make these posts on a borrowed computer on borrowed time. However, I have several smocks, anoraks, jackets, coats and parkas. Most are British army and I have attempted to keep up with all the variations over the last 40 years. I've even seen variations you've probably never heard of but not everything comes in my size.

Although I like all the British smocks, now called jackets, field, the one I wear the most is an old Fjallraven something or other (it had a name but I don't know what it was). It is unlined, not quite hip length and has a hood. But like many jackets with a hood, the hood it too small. It is reserved for outdoor use and is adequate for any activity down to below zero (rare around here) if sufficient undergarments are worn. Useful pockets, too.

I have a reproduction WWII style camouflage windproof suit, jacket & trousers and at one time also an original in khaki. In theory, this is an excellent garment as far as fit goes, with useful pockets. But the hood is too small on this one, too, and it's a little shorter than I would like, same as the Fjallraven. But the biggest drawback is that it's a pullover garment and once you get up a full head of steam, you can't open the front and regulate your temperature. It can't even be opened halfway.

I have another pullover parka from L.L.Bean that is insulated. The fit all round is perfect, including for once, the hood. It is easy to slip on and off (nylon, you know) and plenty warm. I don't know why I don't wear it more than I do.

I have others that I reserve for wearing to work over a wool jacket or suit jacket and although interesting, they don't get out to the woods. One is a very thick Belgium jacket that I seem to wear the most when the cold winds blow, except last winter was rather mild. There might be something to global warming after all and either way, it's not such a bad thing.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've been wearing a Plimo P5 smock for a couple of months now & love it !. Ian made the sleeves wider thasn normal so it will accomodate my huge arms lol !, joking aside, making the sleeves wider means the smock has sleeves i can roll up above the elbow, making the smock comfy to wear even in the warm weather we've recently had.

No pics i'm afraid as i'm a stoneage user, & my son who normaly posts for me has just left for an 8 month tour.

Rob

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
e4dd459963dc2dc9bd6b7b32b54e8098.jpg

b1a3e6a7534b0f0d27b75aff5df5bf56.jpg

Here is me in mine!! Original Tahr!!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE