Show us your Pukkoos.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
It's mass produced, but I really like my Roselli Carpenter I must of bought back in 2010.

Its the most comfortable knife I own if I want to knock out a spoon or something like that.

All I did to it when I got in was put a mirror finish on the blade as it had pretty heavy marks from the grinding process, 800 grit Japanese water stone was perfect for it. I also dyed it with some Fiebing's British Tan as its looks raw pig skin when you first get it.

As you can see its holding a great edge, Ive only really had to put it to stones a hand full of times as a good strop tends to get it back to a razor edge.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Or, if you want something more tailored to your individual needs, you could choose a blade from somewhere like English Handmade Knives or Brisa ( no connection with either other than as a satisfied customer), then either have a go at putting a handle on yourself or look for someone to do it for you (eg our own Stew on here, who has just done a fine job with a Dave Budd blade for me)

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
OK so this isn't to Alf's standards but here is my very first forged knife its not pretty and I know its flaws but its a start :)

Its made out of a mystery steel but the heat treat worked.

soldierpmr-albums-random-tat-picture18867-image.jpg

I cant see it at the minute but it looked good I could help with the handle though.

I have been looking for a puuko for quite some time but do not know who makes the best ones. There are some truly beautiful models shown here so, without wishing to hijack the thread, can anyone recommend me a good puuko? I am looking for a simply-handled one, ideally with a generous handle to cope with my long fingers; blade between 9 and 11cm; something that will be a user for many, many years to come... Any thoughts or suggestions would be more than gratefully received!

Many thanks.

Richard

This sort of thing any good?

Mattson 120 finished 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I bought the small one first from a sales thread on BB then Orderd the other one which is my perfect Tommy pukko, 4" blade nickel parts and birch bark disc handle.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Is that the UHC steel version or the lower carbon one? It looks a lovely knife. What's the handle like in terms of 'girth'? I used to have a Jarvenpaa puuko but the handle on it was hopeless: far too thin which made using it unnecessarily tiring. I do like the blade shape on that though. Many thanks for sharing it!

Richard

It's mass produced, but I really like my Roselli Carpenter I must of bought back in 2010.

Its the most comfortable knife I own if I want to knock out a spoon or something like that.

All I did to it when I got in was put a mirror finish on the blade as it had pretty heavy marks from the grinding process, 800 grit Japanese water stone was perfect for it. I also dyed it with some Fiebing's British Tan as its looks raw pig skin when you first get it.

As you can see its holding a great edge, Ive only really had to put it to stones a hand full of times as a good strop tends to get it back to a razor edge.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Now that is a thing of beauty! In terms of blade shape and sheath, it ticks the boxes perfectly. I love the curly birch and ?antler handle but, ideally, would prefer just the brass bolster and curly birch - I hate to be fussy but I really am after something simple and undemonstrative that will be a complete user, without any nod to 'ceremonial'. That said, something like that does tempt me...

Many thanks for sharing it!

Richard

This sort of thing any good?

Mattson 120 finished 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Now that is a thing of beauty! In terms of blade shape and sheath, it ticks the boxes perfectly. I love the curly birch and ?antler handle but, ideally, would prefer just the brass bolster and curly birch - I hate to be fussy but I really am after something simple and undemonstrative that will be a complete user, without any nod to 'ceremonial'. That said, something like that does tempt me...

Many thanks for sharing it!

Richard
That blade is 120 and it is a proper user IMO

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Is that the UHC steel version or the lower carbon one? It looks a lovely knife. What's the handle like in terms of 'girth'? I used to have a Jarvenpaa puuko but the handle on it was hopeless: far too thin which made using it unnecessarily tiring. I do like the blade shape on that though. Many thanks for sharing it!
Richard

Its the lower carbon one, I wanted something I didn't have to worry about if a bit of moisture gets to it. At some point I want a UHC one which I bet is a fantastic bit of steel. I just took a few photos next to a ruler:

Ats a really nice shape in the hand as it nicely tapered, but not too thin. I like a thicker knife and this feels great. I get the feeling they have thought about different grips you'd use and I've never found any that give me hot spots.

A couple more of how thick it is:

It's always been nice and smooth too, all I do every now and then is apply a bit of a bit of linseed oil.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Here's a small one I handled a while ago. This was my second one, and I've only done three in total. It's a 77mm Lauri blade iirc, handled with maple - again iirc!

By chance it fits well into a Condor sheath I had going spare, and I've stuck a bit of cord around it to make it a neck knife.

I've always wondered whether the proportions are a bit off, but it's comfortable enough to use I guess.

0aae4cb4433286056a5cb1382b3cd33a.jpg

c408af8a56f642504088f7a8d12c68a7.jpg

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A blast from the past! This is a very early knife I handled up.

The blade is by Dennis H (Brisa owner) and has a mosaic pin inset through the blade.

The handle is Birch with a reconstituted stone spacer. It was the first and only time I've used rec. stone. I still have the off cut from this one but I've never had the right project to use it on, plus it's not the nicest material to use so would need a fair bit of motivation to use it again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE