Show us your Kukri's!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I'm curious to see the different styles and types of kukri's that people have, and also how useful they are for British bushcraft type tasks. Also just for a bit of blade drooling! Also, out of interest, where abouts did you get them?

Thanks

Harry :)

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
bloomin love my kukri is has been with me through all tasks for years and will be coming to norway with me too

cimg2535v.jpg

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I posted pics of one i have, back on the 16-5-11, but don't know how to get them back up. Ialso have another, but do find the handles a little bit on the short side. The one in the pics will soon be making its way to a BB member, on loan so he can display it as part of his collection.

Rob

I posted pics of one i have, back on the 16-5-11, but don't know how to get them back up. Ialso have another, but do find the handles a little bit on the short side. The one in the pics will soon be making its way to a BB member, on loan so he can display it as part of his collection.

Rob

My first one was a std size with normal Gurka handle refurb from a surplus shop £10 yes to small

my replacement a decade or so later was a Kukri House one a model which was supposed to be Designed by a Black watch sgt (maybe maybe not ??? ) but is a larger blade and a much larger handle to fit european hands and a Lanyard loop definitely a different beast due to size and continued to serve me as a main chopper with a locking SAK to cover everything else

here is the large one wit ha few other blades for a thread a long time back

Dsc_5108.jpg

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
This is my Bahadur from the Kukri House, it came with a rubbish sheath so my wife made me a new one. Its a good big knife and quite cheap with squaddie discount. used it to rough out a few bow staves and I did take it on a canoe trip instead of an axe ( I regretted not taking the axe) I see it as a do it all tool, but personally prefer a small knife and a good hatchet.
bahadur006.jpg

bahadur003.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
These are all awesome examples, keep 'em coming! :)

Yarrow, that looks kind of like a hybrid between a kukri and a parang? It looks unusual compared to the more standard kukri shapes anyway, really like it though as it has less of a highly defined curve in the blade. Love the sheath too, looks very practical in terms of having everything you might need.

Palace, love the idea of the sex wax coating on the handle, have there been any adverse effects from putting it on? It seems like a brilliant idea!

Cheers

Last edited:

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I have a small collection and don't have access to them all at the moment but here is a sample for your perusal:

9622578371_35fdf35c4d.jpg

Top left: Himalayan Imports Sirupati, below a WW2 era 'tourist' khukri, below a modern British issue one. Top right a modern Sirupati that I got from the Gurkhas when I was on tour, below that a tiny 'Bilton' Khukri from Himalayan Imports again. I also have a wartime one with an aluminium handle (quite rare, part of a batch ordered by an Indian prince for his guard) and a modern version of the massive ones made for western soldiers during the war (18 inches long and pretty heavy).

They are great knives and all serve well. The Sirupati come from an area which has more foliage and jungle than the others and so has a longer more gracile blade for hacking through brush. The more pronounced curves with bigger drops are more traditional and do better for chopping wood etc. I rather like the one on the top right, though I haven't used it much the balance is great and the blade is heavy enough for pretty much any job without being too much to carry comfortably. For a while I carried a knackered old Khukri used during the Malay campaign, battered and slightly bent it could do anything I needed but unfortunately it was pinched from my kit.

Anyhow, I hope that is of interest to folks. The best UK supplier I reckon is the BKCG site though I'm a big fan of 'Himalayan Imports' too as you can probably tell.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mine came from a very kind donor on British Blades who traded me his Khukri in return for a write up of my experiences with it - which is duplicated here somewhere.

I must admit that it has become a firm favourite, though I really need to get the sheath recovered.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
These are all awesome examples, keep 'em coming! :)

Yarrow, that looks kind of like a hybrid between a kukri and a parang? It looks unusual compared to the more standard kukri shapes anyway, really like it though as it has less of a highly defined curve in the blade. Love the sheath too, looks very practical in terms of having everything you might need.

Palace, love the idea of the sex wax coating on the handle, have there been any adverse effects from putting it on? It seems like a brilliant idea!

None whatsoever. really good grip have done all my sharp things including parangs, machete & large knives, I excluded kitchen knives; I have only waxed the handles on the axes my grandchildren use since as yet there is no need for them to use a swing/slip grip.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
None whatsoever. really good grip have done all my sharp things including parangs, machete & large knives, I excluded kitchen knives; I have only waxed the handles on the axes my grandchildren use since as yet there is no need for them to use a swing/slip grip.

Oh well thats very cool then, I don't know why that isn't used more then??

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Oh well thats very cool then, I don't know why that isn't used more then??

I only thought of it for this application because my 18 year old son went surfboarding in France & he mentioned Sex Wax as the anti slip surface on a surfboard.(thinking grandchildren & safety) I went on to their website where most of the treatments relate to various water temperatures, multiple layers of wax etc, far to complicated for me.

Then I saw the drum stick version, I thought hot clammy dingy clubs, sweaty hands, one layer of wax, sounded perfect, having used it, works well; simply warm the handle rub on allow to cool, it does wear off but simply reapply with the block on site, no need to warm once applied.

Providing the smell of coconut is not offensive to you it's ok, when I use the tools I am in old clothes/combats never bothered to wipe hands a little must come off but not noticeable. You can see the waxy effect in the photo #9

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That sounds fantastic, I just don't know why other people haven't considered using something like that before as there must be so many instances when those kind of tools are used in wet environments and having that kind of coating on the handles could massively improve safety and the usability of them.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE