Show me your bed roll/swag bag

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey,
With the temperature dropping I'm going to be leaving the hammock at home, with that in mind I'm going to try modifying my Czech army bed roll for cold weather use. I've got various sleeping mats, blankets and sleeping bags to do it with but I'd like to see other peoples set ups, if anyone out there has made or modded their bed roll?

Anyone use the Czech army bed roll, any thoughts on it?

Last edited:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi I got the Czech army bedroll and polish sleep mat combo from the same company. I have only used it once in the back yard and a couple of times in the caravan. I must say I love it. I will warn you though with the polish sleep mat it is a very bulky item and not for strapping to your rucksack. Its more out of the back of the car job. although take out the polish sleep mat then that would be a different story if not still a bit wide. Itried mine out when it was a fair bit warmer and don't know how it will fair in this cold weather. I bought this item as a cheap version of an Austrailian swag and it does everything it says on the tin at a fraction of the price. Out the back of the car, slap it on the ground, hook up a tarp, job done.

Many thanks

Rick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi I got the Czech army bedroll and polish sleep mat combo from the same company. I have only used it once in the back yard and a couple of times in the caravan. I must say I love it. I will warn you though with the polish sleep mat it is a very bulky item and not for strapping to your rucksack. Its more out of the back of the car job. although take out the polish sleep mat then that would be a different story if not still a bit wide. Itried mine out when it was a fair bit warmer and don't know how it will fair in this cold weather. I bought this item as a cheap version of an Austrailian swag and it does everything it says on the tin at a fraction of the price. Out the back of the car, slap it on the ground, hook up a tarp, job done.

Many thanks

Rick

I've been looking at those thick Polish mats for a while, I'll be interested to hear how it performs over the winter.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have just thrown one out whilst clearing my garage out.
It was comfy and reasonably warm but just so so heavy.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I've been looking at those thick Polish mats for a while, I'll be interested to hear how it performs over the winter.

Not had it out in the cold, but I must say they would be fine as the bottom of the polish mat is PVC so this would stop the mat from becoming wet. for the money its a bargin, I am thing of getting some old leather belts and seeing how tight I can strap these mats up.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Heres one of my posts from a while back.
I thought i would put this up to show as there are a lot of people who like to use a swag or bedroll ,I purchased this fabulous bedroll from ebay a few years back , it is made by the Famous Woods bag and canvas from Canada (unfortunately gone now)I have never saw a bedroll as good ,The outer is made of a cotton,canvas and has a down filled quilt attached to it ,There is an inner wool blanket which attaches to it by press studs ,This is as warm as it gets.
I bought one of the polish bed roll that Knifefan put up a link for ,i have showed it inside the bedroll but would probably put it outside.
Does anybody have any other kit from Woods bag and canvas or even heard of them?
Oh and i won this on the bay for the princely sum of £9.99 lol.
Picture3604.jpg
Picture3605.jpg

Picture3607.jpg
Picture3608.jpg

Picture3609.jpg

Picture3606.jpg

Picture3610.jpg

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I went to m/mart this morning and had a look at the polish mats, as stated they are huge bulky things, not for carrying but do look comfy and warm. There about the size of a thick memory foam mattress topper

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Rickyamos - I've had the czech roll for a while but never got round to using it, those polish mats look great but I'm going to try and not spending any money. This is definatly car kit, I wouldn't fancy carrying all that weight any distance.

Gill - That Woods bag looks great, the centre opening definately appeals to me think you got quite a find there. Have you had any issues with condensation? Although with it being canvas I imagine it breathes quite well...

I'm thinking a closed cell mat, my thermarest trail-lite and an extra blanket for the mattress then a couple of rectangular bags for me to sleep in with the buttoned in blanket and nylon outer on top as a wind break. Plus a tarp set up us a roof and reflector for the fire, should be pretty toastie I reckon.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Rickyamos - I've had the czech roll for a while but never got round to using it, those polish mats look great but I'm going to try and not spending any money. This is definatly car kit, I wouldn't fancy carrying all that weight any distance.

Gill - That Woods bag looks great, the centre opening definately appeals to me think you got quite a find there. Have you had any issues with condensation? Although with it being canvas I imagine it breathes quite well...

I'm thinking a closed cell mat, my thermarest trail-lite and an extra blanket for the mattress then a couple of rectangular bags for me to sleep in with the buttoned in blanket and nylon outer on top as a wind break. Plus a tarp set up us a roof and reflector for the fire, should be pretty toastie I reckon.

No conden at all buddy i,ve never been cold in it !That is a polish matt in it ,Defo for car camping.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I use a Saul swag. I don't have photos myself, but you can look them up on their website.

I've slept in this swag in Australian winters, with a Snugpak jungle sleeping bag, (i.e. summer weight), and my clothes on and been plenty warm enough. I don't know what the temperatures were, but it was cold enough to often have frost formed on the top of the swags when we woke up. A lot of the potential heat loss is avoided by the 75mm thick (from memory) mattress underneath you. Also, in the case of this particular model of swag, there are not 1 but 2 layers of canvas on top.

Definitely for car camping or limited distance hiking though - they're not light.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I gave it a go on saturday night!

In the end I went for a closed cell multimat with my thermarest trail lite on top, followed by a lightweight summer bag inside a 3 season bag plus a house hold pillow for that decadent touch :). I was too warm despite it being around 2oC.
Really pleased with the bed roll for car camping, very comfy.

DSC_0680.jpg

Plus I have to show off our ''Fire o' Meat''; trout, lamb, steak and bannock :D.

meatfire.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE