Shovels?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Carry a small garden shovel all the time. Can be used to support the tarp and makes a great improvised frying pan. Weighs in at around 2Lb. No digging sticks availible out here!!

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Totally up to it mate its a copy of a Russian special forces shovel google up what those guys do with the originals, the cold steel is supposed to be more heavy duty. I love mine so many uses.

Excellent. Yes I did see the Russian You tube training footage, whole new meaning to "you dig". Any idea of the weight as finding the same problem as Vulpes below with a weight issue in my pack. I can't seem to get over the - what if I end up needing my... etc.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I have 2 folding shovels. One I have kept in the car for years, the other I took once out on a wild camp and found that I forced myself to use it to dig a completely unnecessary hole, just to justify me carrying it :) I have now switched to using a robust plastic trowel which weighs almost nothing and haven't looked back.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've seen those. They do look quite good. I carried a trowel on my mapping project soley for digging a poop hole. It got used regularly.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A folding shovel is essential camp kit, the idea of a digging stick is barbaric, one should try and maintain ones standards when at camp. Some of you will be drinking beer from the can next:rolleyes:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I carry a German army one in the car, it is heavy but unlike some I have had in the past, it will dig and not get bent. That is what you need in an emergency.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Folding shovel in the land rover which ends up being used to dig the biggers out who are stuck in my way but never thought to pack a shovel themselves.
i will take one for longer trips if im not moving around much but generaly manage without and i have a folding snow shovel for shelter building in winter which im already looking forward to

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
All the shovel fans should watch this; a real bobby dazzler
:eek:

[video=youtube;b60OZhrTB6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o[/video]

Where can I get one?

:lmao:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Folding shovel in the land rover which ends up being used to dig the biggers out who are stuck in my way but never thought to pack a shovel themselves.
i will take one for longer trips if im not moving around much but generaly manage without and i have a folding snow shovel for shelter building in winter which im already looking forward to

When I used to drive a landie, I didn't bother with a folding shovel, a full size spade was de rigeur. Why compromise with a folder when you have room for the real thing?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
When I used to drive a landie, I didn't bother with a folding shovel, a full size spade was de rigeur. Why compromise with a folder when you have room for the real thing?

To be honest mate iv got both in there, both ex mod but theres usualy two or three of us in the landie and i end up with the folder :)

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
I take a folding MOD spade with me but it does take up room and adds weight to my pack. Having said that, it's not as if I am on exercise or something where weight is going to slow me down! If I'm out on a trek I take my time and rest when required so not to much of an issue.... It's not as if I'm carrying the kitchen sink! LOL. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
When weight is an issue, I take a folding trowel with me; when it's less of a concern, I use a NATO trench tool thing which is heavy but works well. It's always good to use a dig stick but that does depend on one being available when the urge arises. Carrying the lightweight folding trowel means that when things start moving, you're ready for action.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
mmm , i saw ray mears cook with a shovel, and theres nothing wrong with him, is there?

Would like a cold steel hatchet trowell, not a shovel axe i anyone knows of anything, just not justifiable unless it was half the weight, then it would be on terms with a saw trowell combo with all the fun of the original

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I've got a full size shovel in the boot of both my cars (7 seater and daewoo). Always comes in handy when you need it and it isn't noticed when you don't need it. Learned the lesson to keep them in the cars from the bad snow over the past few years

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
When I'm out with my group of kids I take a surplus Swedish Army shovel a.k.a short, light, attack-shovel.
When I'm out alone a use a temporary digging stick.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
This is the only time I take one out. Folding shovels have broken for a pastime, this is nice and solid.

05122011795-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE