Should sheep be allowed in a churchyard?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Went over Broadwindsor last night and decided to have a wander up the churchyard to have a look - lot of relatives buried there and where I got christened - I know times are hard and money is tight, but whose stupid bloody idea was it to let sheep keep the grass down? They've knocked over countless headstones, crapped everywhere and eaten all the flowers that aren't made of plastic. Can't believe what a mess it is. Does this go on elsewhere? They've been fenced in with electric fencing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's appallingly disrespectful - I hate grave violation - be it of recent graves, for "land re-use" or old graves for "archaeology". Grave sites should be inviolate - however old they are.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They did the same thing by me. Everybody went mad at the destruction and the sheep started disappearing. Great year for community BBQ's was 2009.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's appallingly disrespectful - I hate grave violation - be it of recent graves, for "land re-use" or old graves for "archaeology". Grave sites should be inviolate - however old they are.

Quite. I was bloody mad, still am. A lot of the stones don't have family around to put 'em right again. I just can't believe it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, that's true. Most of the old ones here have been knocked over by the council. They give them a good powerful shove with the foot. Not surprising most go over.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If it weren't for archaeology all we would know about our past would be myths and the more recent histories.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do the sheep do all the damage? or is it a case of old Grave stones falling over? Purely my own personal view is why anyone, living or dead would want their dead flesh buried. Just burn it up when your dead and again, just my opinion.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I really wouldn't mind sheep grazing the graveyard where my parents, grandparents, great grandparents and other family are buried. Urinating on war memorials ( by people I guess) has nothing to do with it.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Paul, as you know i live in a backwater too, and to be honest if i had a wander in my local graveyard and found sheep grazing, i too would have been flabbergasted! I personally don't have any respect for any religion, but i have always had respect for the departed.

I am sure you will sort it.

Ivan...

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The Churchyard of our Wiltshire village was tidied up and the headstones placed all round the perimeter. Looked OK and nobody complained.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I really wouldn't mind sheep grazing the graveyard where my parents, grandparents, great grandparents and other family are buried. Urinating on war memorials ( by people I guess) has nothing to do with it.

Each to their own. I'm not having flowers ate and sheep mess on my folks' graves.
Some people have dogs in their house and sleeping on their bed. I think that's mental but others think it's normal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE