Should i worry about Nalgene?

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Does anyone else use Nalgene bottles to drink or store food in? Are the concerns about BPA really anything to worry about?

I was going to buy one for my Maxpedition Mini Rollypolly. I'm not a huge fan of drinking out of plastic as it starts to taste a bit funny after awhile. Was wondering about stainless steel?

Thanks for any suggestions
Oh and feel free to tell me to stop being a worrying little girl ;o)

Ben

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Nalgene is just the name of the company. They make bottles from many different materials. The concerns with BPA concern their use of Lexan (polycarbonate).

Newer Nalgene bottles are all BPA-free. I have some of the older Lexan ones but, as I only use them to store cold water, I have no concerns with the safety of the bottles. I've had the snip anyway.. :p

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I only use mine for a pee bottle now - beware the evil plastic - get steel to drink from - or non BPA plastics...

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i use sigg bottles and now ive noticed they make a wide mouth version as well
which is nice

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I went through a stage of worrying about plastics, Teflon, aluminium, etc...till i realised how little the intake is compared to the huge amounts you breath in or consume in daily life!
no, don't worry about nalgene!
If you eat and drank everything from it for the rest of your life, yeah use something else, but for the odd trip, or cuppa it shouldn't make any difference to your life.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If a car company has been making a car that is potentially hazardous, they do a massive recall and replace the hazardous element. However, Nalgene have been selling potentially hazardous products for years (at twice the price they should be), and now there is evidence that the product is hazardous they expect you to replace your Nalgene bottle with a new BPA free one ! Ker-ching.....How to screw up and make twice as much money !

NS

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
If a car company has been making a car that is potentially hazardous, they do a massive recall and replace the hazardous element. However, Nalgene have been selling potentially hazardous products for years (at twice the price they should be), and now there is evidence that the product is hazardous they expect you to replace your Nalgene bottle with a new BPA free one ! Ker-ching.....How to screw up and make twice as much money !

Like it :D

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I use a cheapo( literally, it was from Poundland!) Alu bottle most of the time, and a hydration bladder in my pack, no concerns about the plastic.....

but then again, I eat stuff I've dropped on the floor too- 5 second rule chaps! :D

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
5 seconds pah..... i use adleast 10...lol...............

i use coke bottles for more water ie 2 L and army issue 1 litre as they are both quite nails and wont split when stood on say on walked on......job done.........

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This is all about risk assessment. There are much bigger changes you can make in your daily life to reduce the chances of illness and disease. So, I reiterate, no need to worry.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I went through a stage of worrying about plastics, Teflon, aluminium, etc...till i realised how little the intake is compared to the huge amounts you breath in or consume in daily life!
no, don't worry about nalgene!
If you eat and drank everything from it for the rest of your life, yeah use something else, but for the odd trip, or cuppa it shouldn't make any difference to your life.

Prolonged respiration of air will eventually lead to death....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE