Should I take the Plunge?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Following his trip to Michigan as part of a Cumbria Scouts contingent , my son is desperate to become an Explorer Scout as soon as possible.
The problem is that his current Scouts do not have an Explorer section.
There is not much interest amongst the other parent helpers but lots from the Scouts who would be eligible to join.
My son's solution is simple: I should up my commitment from very regular parent helper and leader of bushcraft type sessions and become the leader of a brand new Explorer Scouts group.
I am reasonably confident that I could handle the activities and make it fun , educational and exciting for them but I'm not sure that it would be healthy to lead a group containing my own son.I'm also worried that I don't have enough time to commit fully to it.
Has anyone been in this position or a similar one? I need some advice.
Cheers , Simon

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
~27% of leaders are parents of youth members already in the movement, the way to get around having your son as a member is to ensure that another leader deals with your son and that your son understands fully that at Explorers you are a leader, not his dad and likewise that going to dad because you don't like a leader or whatever doesn't work. With regards to time...."It's only an hour and a half a week"....:lmao: you commit as much time as you are able to and your team fills in the rest.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I don't want to come across discouraging here but in the Explorer age group personally I think this can be a difficult thing for both parties. The first reaction of outside parties, both youth / adult peers and less involved is usually of favouritism, the reality is normally the opposite and your kids actually have a much more difficult time at a point where they need their own space to develop.

The flip side of this is that you can have a much more meaningful relationship and shared experiences that never come the way of some familial relationships.

My son had to endure me as a cub leader, then I deliberately stayed in cubs and tried to help only occasionally at scouts (but you end up stepping up more often than Xyz's parents who do bog all to help) and when he was an Explorer although I did something with them as I was DC but he probably wished I was invisible at times but we both moved on and actually his close peers understood and never gave him grief about - they probably sympathised. At 19 he now wants to help me and have his own space in the role he chose a DofE leader and Queens Scout in both scouting and schools.

I don't know your group / district circumstances, and I admit am a strong believer in district ESUs but here is not the time or place to debate that, so I would give the Scout Information Centre a ring on 0845 300 1818 and ask them for the contact details for your local District Explorer Scout Commissioner or District Commissioner who I would imagine should be keen to talk to anyone willing, suitable and able to help. They are open Saturday am!

There that was a ramble and probably no help at all.

Peter

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You will find the time; I have seen many units successfully run by parents; I would assume that there will be many more Explorers coming up in the future needing a unit to join.
I was at first a non-uniformed "helper", then an ASL, then, when it was needed, a VSL and did 15 years with a Warrant. I only quit when Ventures were done away with and the Explorers decided to meet on a night I could not do due to church committments... I miss Scouting!
Simple answer - go for it!:)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
You will find the time; I have seen many units successfully run by parents; I would assume that there will be many more Explorers coming up in the future needing a unit to join.
I was at first a non-uniformed "helper", then an ASL, then, when it was needed, a VSL and did 15 years with a Warrant. I only quit when Ventures were done away with and the Explorers decided to meet on a night I could not do due to church committments... I miss Scouting!
Simple answer - go for it!:)

If you miss it, get back into it :) surely there is a group near you that meets on days you can do? it might not be explorers or network but whatever the age-group, they're bound to benefit from your knowledge.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I started a new Unit back in April of this year with 12 Scouts who were ready to move up...one of them my daughter,
she had me as her Scout Leader too.

It has never been a problem for us...I treat her exactly the same as the other kids, with one huge difference, she has access to all the gear that I've accumulated over the years, so is often the best equipped, warmest and driest Explorer.

As for activities, I just run an old fashioned program with plenty of practical, hands on stuff. It must work, as we have gone from 12 members to 26 and now operate a waiting list.

My advice would be go for it...it's well worth it.

Simon

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
simon

I think you should go for it as being a Scout Leader is great fun.

Though I find it hard to believe there is not a ESU already. Unfortunately there is a lot of bull**** and politics in Scouting and some SL's (I am a SL) really dont help the process of moving on to Explorers because the Scouts are leaving the group. PM if you want some info

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Thanks for your help folks.
I am 90% sure that I am going to pursue this path following not only the advice from here but also some chats with local Scout leaders and a couple of offers of real help from friends , one of whom has instructor qualifications in canoeing and climbing and is a ML too.
My son has adopted a fairly mature position about the whole thing and says he will understand if I choose not to take it on although he would rather I did.
I shall investigate further and if I decide to go ahead I shall post a thread here by way of thanks.
Cheers , Simon

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
do it! I wish I could with my Son's Cub's but I am 6000 miles away from him :(

I did it many years ago as ASL in the Scouts, very rewading but yes a lot of work, need to build yourself a good support team to spread the load

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I was very concious that me being the Beaver Leader affected my sons enjoyment, we had a rule that as soon as our scarfs went on it wasn't father and son any more.

The only difficulty was if he misbehaved not at the time, just in the car on the way home it was hard not bringing it up.

Was embarasing when he won the first game I ran though..........

Hi Simon
i think it's admirable that you are even thinking about it.

I just typed a really long reply and the phone ate it!! :(

Go for it - my son is a scout in my troop no problems, just remember to turn as much of a blind eye to your daughter as you do to the other kids. - my young leader keeps me in check when I've been a bit harsh. Having a good team is the key to success.

Dont be drawn into the adult politics - remember you are there for the kids.

Andy

Ps - John, I think you should at least make an offer to help at your local group even if it's only occasionally. (hoping you are near Maidstone ;). )

I started a new Unit back in April of this year with 12 Scouts who were ready to move up...one of them my daughter,
she had me as her Scout Leader too.

It has never been a problem for us...I treat her exactly the same as the other kids, with one huge difference, she has access to all the gear that I've accumulated over the years, so is often the best equipped, warmest and driest Explorer.

As for activities, I just run an old fashioned program with plenty of practical, hands on stuff. It must work, as we have gone from 12 members to 26 and now operate a waiting list.

My advice would be go for it...it's well worth it.

Simon

Have you jacked being a SL then Simon?

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
How you interact with your own kids is key to thier experience that of other kids.

When I started as ASL in the Troop my sone was in the Troop and his best mate was the SL's son. They were both a pain in the butt to thier dads so we always dealt with each others sons on activities and discipline which worked for us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE