Should I buy a nice expensive watch ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I've always said that for my 40th I would treat myself to a nice watch, something like an Omega Speedmaster, but then I got thinking.....
What are you actually paying all that money for ? Does it keep time any better than a £100 watch, do the lumes shine long and bright , etc etc etc.
What's the point in spending 2.5k on a watch when it looses just as many seconds per month as a cheap watch ?
You could argue that why do people spend thousands on diamonds and gold when it has no use other than looking good and making you feel nice. Surely though with expensive watches they are actually meant to do something or than look good ? Or is the aspect of telling the time actually a secondary aspect of what an expensive watch is about ?
I'm not trying to knock expensive watches, I'm just trying to justify buying one really .

Paul

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've always resisted treating myself to a really good watch, I could never justify it either. I've been wearing the same Accurist our lass bought me for my 21st for the last 14 years, only had to change the battery twice too.

I've been close to buying a Breitling a couple of times when we've done well on the bonus at work. I got an Uzi Protector which I wear for trips, £40 on ebay and it's got the tritium hands which work really well.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Every watch i,ve worn has ended up broken -one way or the other ??? For that kind of money it would stay in its box in my opinion !!!! :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Keep the money and buy a cheap watch, the more money you don't spend on expensive nick knacks the closer you will be to being someone who doesn't need to wear a watch. :)

(I have owned a Rolex Sea Dweller since 1983, I haven't worn it or any other watch since 2004.)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I dont know your financial status , but as soon as you fall on hard times it will be the first to go . ask me how i know .....

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Whatever you get, its only as good as those little springy pins that hold the strap on. Break one of those (and it's easily enough done) and it doesn't matter whether its Omega or Home Bargains...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have owned a Rolex Sea Dweller since 1983, I haven't worn it or any other watch since 2004

Interesting, as I have not worn a watch for 20 years or so. I think of them as being men's jewelry, which I am also not a fan of myself. I understand that wearing something like a Rolex can make you feel better, make people think you lots of money etc..

I would buy something that you really want or have always wanted to own but would not normally think of spending that sort of money on; something like a beautiful wood canoe, a trip to see the northern lights, buy some courses etc.. If that's an expensive watch then good for you, as long as you use it & it makes you smile every time you get it out.

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Buy the watch and enjoy it, your only 40 once.I have a Speedmaster circa 1970, wear it all the time, still going strong and keeps good time.I don't know what the the new ones are like but my old mechanical wind up jobby will probably get handed down to my son, the same way I got it.

Gailainne

Life Member
Hmmm difficult question that, I have a Rolex oyster chronograph that I still wear for dressy occasions, it used to be my main user, (bought it in Saudia Arabia for my 25th, a loong time ago). Now I use a timex titanium E compass great watch, the tritium on the face works really well as does the light, the compass is a bit of a pain to set, £80, really good buy.

End of the day, your celebrating a major birthday, do what pleases you.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I dont wear a watch much because of work requirements, when I do its my MWC one I got as a birthday present, so the "occasion" associated with the watch does make it special, but it wasnt that expensive, and I got that style mainly for the ease of reading the dial, fading eyesight etc.
IMO a reasonable priced reliable watch that you are given or buy yourself, for a special occasion, will mean just as much to you as a jewelled one that cost the earth...

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I bought a Rolex over 30 years ago and have worn it day and night ever since. They are over £3,000 now but I paid about £60 in Dubai whilst working there (and tax on the way back). As a chronometer I have rated it and know the corrections to apply and it keeps perfect time i.e. the slight gain is constant no matter what the treatment or temperatures it is exposed to. As a professional diver in the past, I have used it to 100+m in sea water and numerous chamber dives with a number of gasses. Every ten years or so I get it serviced but it is not expensive but I am on my second metal link strap.

Is it worth it? to me, yes, it has proved to be a reliable friend and has taken everything that life has thrown at me, dirt, oil, welding spatter (that saw off the first strap), high magnetic flux, high and low temperatures, vibration and so on and on. Everything.

I believe if I can take it so can the watch, and it still looks good enough for people to comment on.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Paul, I bought an Omega Speedmaster in the late 60's when I was stationed at RAF Tengha in Singapore, after a couple of days I noticed there was an eyelash under the crystal, on the face I actually took it to the Rolex dealers first to see if they'd swop me it, for a more expensive one of theirs.So they could blag Omega off. No chance , not even telling them I might have been on the moon when it packed up.Omega were just going to service it, but I insisted that, only by then, a week old I wanted a replacement. Done.It kept great time for a wind up, but one day in the late 70's when I "went down the road" after a motorbike smash, I only had the bracelet and the case left I'd wiped the crystal and inards out along the road.I've had the Argos 10 year battery Timex expeditions for awhile but treated myself to a military G10 last year and for £60 I'm very pleased way I look at things a platinum coffin with diamonds in the lid will be no use to you !

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I have an explorer II, it's bombproof, winds itself, is very comfortable and entirely reliable, Should I ever find myself lost without a compass I know with certainty that the most reliable tool for navigation I have is my mechanical watch. Forget batteries and chronographs. Plus, thanks to Rolex's insane pricing policy and strange, worldwide popularity it's worth twice as much now as when I bought it should that kind of thing bother you.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got a nice Timex my wife bought me a couple of years ago. Essential for teaching (no mobiles and you can't trust classroom clocks) and it keeps good time!

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Buy it !!!..................because you want it, if you dont then you dont really want it........its your money, do what you want with it, I have a seamaster quartz, damn fine watch, i also have a brietling avenger skylander chrono in black steel, i wanted this one more than anything after it was launched, so now i have one ! I now want a rolex, but am going to have to wait for that. Luminox are nice, my worker is a sieko divers.......i love watches, my only vice. ha ha along with knives, axes, torches blah blah blah.............................................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE