Should I become a Carpenter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Listen young un,I've not got time to read through the whole of this thread, so here's my teaspoonful of "wisdom": Go for the civil engineering career son, and learn your carpentry as a hobby. A professional civil engineer will be far more comfortably off and be in a far better position to enjoy life, when they get to their 40's onwards, than any carpenter I know of. I've seen too many rusty white vans or Japanese pick ups (not all white but mostly) with "So&So Carpenters and Joiners" with lads who while very highly skilled and able are still struggling to make a comfortable living. Hillbill and Nuggets are both absolutely correct. The other thing about medium to heavy, labour intensive work, is that you will be physically buxxered by the time you're 50, your hands, knees and back will be goosed and you'll struggle to keep going and eventually you'll end up not being to work or do much in the way of recreation at all if you're not careful.

There will be loads of folk who will say: "Oh brilliant, go for it son, I've been a carpenter for x years and loved every minute." Fine, excellent, well done, when are they in hospital for the new knee? or the Carpal tunnel op? How do they decide whether to pay for a new set of tyres for the van or a new heating boiler or washing machine etc?

No Charlie, go for the professional qualification, take up carpentry as a hobby.

sincere best wishes

Steve (Now aged 52, trained numerous apprentices in the paper industry and wish I'd been given similar advice at your age;))

The one way to get a rock solid gaurentee I would not listen to a word you say, when I was younger, was to address me as "son".

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The one way to get a rock solid gaurentee I would not listen to a word you say, when I was younger, was to address me as "son".

You're probably right!:eek:

Never bothered me mind you! Unless it was from someone my own age:confused: I'm not going to edit it though, as it just serves as another reminder that I'm becoming my Dad:rolleyes:

cheers;)

Steve

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Forgive me for not reading all of the thread but I'm short on time.

Right - from what I've read you're getting sage advice mate. Stick with the A-levels. And in all honesty I'd strongly suggest you at least consider going to university for a civil engineering course. Or a history course or a Latin course - basically look at university with an open mind. Grab that Gov loan and crack on.

You WILL have an excellent time at uni. You'll make life long friends and have experiences you'd look back on with fond memories for years to come.

As said education gives you options. You can work as a civil engineer and still do carpentry as a hobby.

You can still do the carpentry as a hobby throughout this time. And frankly the sooner you start practicing it the better you will be if and when the time comes for you to go full time. - if not then you have the option of working at a job that pays the bills and can still enjoy your time off.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE