Should I become a Carpenter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. I had an horrendous time at school, and didn't do A level, so that pretty much ruled it out.
If I'd got the money, I would go and train as a civil engineer, and I'm 37.
In not much more time than it takes to train as a carpenter, or a mechanic (as I did), you could get a degree, so you may as well do it. A good Civil engineering degree can take you anywhere, not just into civils, it's the mathematical content that counts towards so many other careers.
If your really desperate to go into carpentry afterwards, you will have no problem. I haven't got anything qualifying me to be a carpenter, nor any other building trade, I just got on and did it and learned from the people I worked with.
If you like putting roofs on in a howling gale with snow filling your ears up, go ahead. Given the choice, I'd rather be telling someone else what to do.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I recently read a book by a guy who is a philosophy professer at one of the prestige American universities and also has a motorcycle repair business. Always being a handy type he found himself doing odd jobs, becoming qualified as an electrician while studying philosophy. He found that in the downturn, all his friends who saw themselves being hotshot lawyers couldn't find work and when they did it wasn't as glamourous or easy as they expected - long hours, uncertain future and especially finding their jobs being outsourced to India.

One of his conclusions was to learn a useful trade that cannot be done somewhere else. As he noted, rewiring someone's house can't be done by someone in another country but much office-type work can.

He was also unconventional in that people were telling him to concentrate on his studies, not to spread himself into the other things. He found the opposite helped. By having several strings to his bow, he could follow the work that was in fashion.

There's nothing to stop someone qualifying as a carpenter and an electrician and a gas engineer. Nothing to stop someone doing lifelong learning; adult education. It may not be either/or

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do your engineering degree then play with wood after. Your still only a boy but down the line when you want to buy a house the engineering degree may well give you a nicer place to live...reality bite for you.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
id echo what everyone else has said. Engineering is such a wide sector and there will always be demand. Many companies are screaming for graduates. Work hard though and make yourself stand out. Im a chartered surveyor and some of the graduates ive interviewed in the past have been shockingly bad but there were some absolutely stand out applicants who had clearly put in the extra to have a better understanding of their subject.

During the recession government money has been targeted at civils projects as a way to stimulate the economy. There are a raft of things to come like HS2, Nuclear expansion and no doubt the green dollar isnt going to go away any time soon so maybe add wind, wave etc. Good engineers will never be without work.

Carpentry is a wonderful skill and i dont see it leaving the residential sector any time soon given the low embodied energy and green credentials of the material. Commercial sector is very different though now and seems to revolve around hi tech materials, composites , glass etc etc.

good luck in your studies mate. hope it all works out well for you

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck and didn't know where else to turn...
I am currently studying A levels in my final year of sixth form, and everyone was expecting me to become a civil engineer; .

The clue is in the above sentence, it doesn't matter what others expect, what do you want? I wasted my time at polytechnic studying engineering and have nothing but regrets. I have a well paid job but I have to spend 20 days a month away from home. If I'd joined the forces I could have retired 9 years ago, as things stand I will have to work for another 18 years minimum. If I'd got a trade I would be working from home doing something that I enjoy and probably be semi-retired by now.

However, if you are expecting to get A grades in maths and the sciences, if you want (more than anything else) to study for three years after gaining your honours degree to obtain professional qualifications, if you want to work away from home for probably all of your working life, if you want to be burning the midnight oil studying while your fellow students are out on the lash then studying engineering could be for you. If you rise to the top of the tree in engineering you'll be on a mediocre to fair wage for a professional and you'll be able to reflect on how you've wasted your life working in a soulless vacuum of joy.

If you are going to study a subject that is not your hobby and is not your reason for living then you may as well study a subject that pays well and that aint engineering. Study law or dentistry instead.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
What's the difference between a joiner and a carpenter?

A joiner works with wood, and a carpenter pents cars.

Sorry

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
`mousey thompson` had a passion for wood and his trade mark -a carved mouse -was to show that he was as poor as a church mouse !!!

its like artists they only became rich after they died !! :)

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Military service is actually a very good option that I didn't think about. While it might sound awful, think about how "free" you'll be if you get the military to pay for your training instead of busting your hump to earn the cash to pay off a tuition. In America, we do a 20 year tour to earn full retirement benefits. I could have retired four years ago and been pursuing any hobby/passion that I wanted......

Yes, you do "pay" for the military education by sacrificing certain freedoms. But, don't think you won't be making sacrifices at a civilian job. You might not have to salute the bosses, but you'd better do whatever you can to keep them on your good side or you'll be looking for work most rikkytick! And if you choose a technical field in the military, the chances of you seeing any combat are rather slim.

Definitely something that you need to consider. Time will pass regardless of which direction you travel, and twenty years will be gone before you know it. Never thought I'd be agreeing with my parents and grandparents, but like a lot of kids, I ignored their advice and have been paying for it ever since.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Imagedude and Vaughn pretty much sum up my view as well. I've been working in civil engineering for 20 years and spent 2/3rds working away from my family and the rest stressing in a management role. It's the reason I'm selling up and moving to Ireland.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'm with Imagedude and co. on this. Why spend half of your life doing something you don't enjoy? Money is important but not the only thing that matters. The ability to earn is based more on personality and entrepreneurial spirit than your choice of degree anyway.

Besides, the OP is just finishing his A levels. What better time to try things out and see what he likes? Why go straight from one school to another?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Currently working as a self employed carpenter, its an OK living but I doubt I'm ever going to buy a Ferrari.
I do however enjoy what I do for a living and as its a large part of my day that's a good thing.

I'll maybe come back to this when I have a bit more time.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
You are young; take the chance now to follow your heart whilst you can.

There is a market for skilled craftsmen in the maintenance of historic buildings and estates; The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings would be worth contacting for guidance. Try to get a broad range of skills under your belt and study some basic architecture to learn how wood frame buildings work.

You've nothing to lose but a lot to regret if you don't give it a go.

Very best of luck and keep us posted.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Stick with the civil engineering as this could be your fall back position, but whilst studying at Uni, carry on with your passion the carpentry. During the summer breaks and other holidays go off and do carpentry courses or get work with local chippys doing restoration work. Now a days the more strings to your bow the better.

Jun 20, 2011
Swansea
I served an apprenticeship as a carpenter and joiner for four years, then realised I was only just scratching the surface of the trade. I worked in joiners shops, historic houses, building sites, civil sites. I did everything from fine joinery to shuttering, you learn to take work from wherever it comes. I never had many periods out of work until the inevitable injuries start taking their toll. You never earn a fortune but don't earn bad money either. I have thou roughly enjoyed my life as a carpenter. As I hit 40 I changed career and became a Probation Officer, another job I love. Because I came late to the career I will not gain promotion easily, but I've been doing it now for 12 years. In both jobs I would probably be earning around £30,000 a year. Do what you want to do or you will always regret it, if it doesn't work out change and reinvent yourself, be flexible in everything you do. We rarely end up in the jobs we start in. If you are honest reliable and open you will always do well. Good luck.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Some very good advice here. Follow your interests, don't do something because it is expected of you. Getting a degree is good simply because some professions require it (for example, I'd rather teach but don't have a degree so can't do that).

The only thing I'd add is *don't* go into computer programming or IT thinking it will earn you loads. That's simply not true anymore, in general IT is increasingly being transferred to India. Yes there are jobs in IT in the UK but they are either drudge work with mediocre pay or require high-end qualifications or experience. My employers don't even interview people unless they have a first (I got a job here before that policy was introduced).

rancid badger

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck and didn't know where else to turn...
I am currently studying A levels in my final year of sixth form, and everyone was expecting me to become a civil engineer; however, I have decided that is not what I want to do. I have decided I would like to become a Carpenter.
I have a few questions:
Where and how can I get an apprenticeship?

I would like to start off in some form of Green Oak Framing, cus wow, they're beautiful. How could I do this, and what are the current employment prospects like? Also, is there much work in this area in the UK?

I would then perhaps like to move into some form of Cabinetry when i'm older, as I'm not sure I would be able to perform such a physical job at an older age - but, as I understand, the amount of work in the area of the field is pretty dire at the moment, any more information on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a fair amount of experience in carpentry considering my age, making an electric guitar, and carving a lot of small things, as well as being proficient with a lathe.

Money does not really matter to me, otherwise I would become an engineer.

Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!
Charlie.

Listen young un,I've not got time to read through the whole of this thread, so here's my teaspoonful of "wisdom": Go for the civil engineering career son, and learn your carpentry as a hobby. A professional civil engineer will be far more comfortably off and be in a far better position to enjoy life, when they get to their 40's onwards, than any carpenter I know of. I've seen too many rusty white vans or Japanese pick ups (not all white but mostly) with "So&So Carpenters and Joiners" with lads who while very highly skilled and able are still struggling to make a comfortable living. Hillbill and Nuggets are both absolutely correct. The other thing about medium to heavy, labour intensive work, is that you will be physically buxxered by the time you're 50, your hands, knees and back will be goosed and you'll struggle to keep going and eventually you'll end up not being to work or do much in the way of recreation at all if you're not careful.

There will be loads of folk who will say: "Oh brilliant, go for it son, I've been a carpenter for x years and loved every minute." Fine, excellent, well done, when are they in hospital for the new knee? or the Carpal tunnel op? How do they decide whether to pay for a new set of tyres for the van or a new heating boiler or washing machine etc?

No Charlie, go for the professional qualification, take up carpentry as a hobby.

sincere best wishes

Steve (Now aged 52, trained numerous apprentices in the paper industry and wish I'd been given similar advice at your age;))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE