Shorts in the cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not all.
Every cell is a bag, a double layer of complex fatty molecules and some proteins.
As the temperature goes down, the fatty molecules begin to line up with each other
to go from quite fluid to semi solid. Crappy, cheap counterfeit olive oils do this. You can see it in the fridge.

Do you recall your fingers ever stiffening in the cold? You are turning solid. Literally.
All kinds of systems depending on transfer through cell membranes are coming to a gooey, viscous halt.
Nervous system functions are compromised as well as the stiffening muscles.

Here's the real killer. In hypothermia, there's some separation between peripheral blood and body core blood.
I can't recall the triggers, sorry.
But, if there a sudden exchange and the cold peripheral blood encloses internal body organs,
the temperature change, the shock, can cause them to suddenly stop. Such as your heart.

The Nazi knew this. Hayward was well aware of the hazard. He had learned that bats can do this in reverse,
pumping out heat and warming from a hibernation temperature of, say, 4C to normal in a matter of minutes.
= = =
Apologies all. I've seen a few brave Aussia bushwalkers in shorts in the rain and they nearly paid for it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Shorts in the "cold." Define "cold." I don't take the flannel sheets off the bed for cotton all year.
We might see +47C in the shade in the afternoon but when the sun goes down. . . . 'nuther story.

Trolls cannot comprehend the UV flux needed to over come their reaction energy of activation dG^0' barriers.
That's how we can loaf along on Carbon and not Silicon. The tide floats everyone's boats.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
47C+ ... ga'an. I know it gets parched in the interior but that's going it :lol:

As to cold, I'll do -20C in shorts ... if there's no wind. Won't be standing around reading the paper though :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not know if it is genetic, or climate, but very few ‘locals’ here in the Caribbean have Arthritis. Seems to be more common in cold/wet countries like UK.
In Sweden lots of people get it, but it seems ( visual, non scientific) less occurence than in UK.

Maybe people dress much warmer in the cold season in Sweden. No sane person would venture out in -20 in shorts. Even the drunks dress warm.

Our son had to be dressed in shorts in his prep school in UK, even wintertime. I protested very strongly, and he was allowed proper trousers at the end.

Yes, many trolls are Silicon ( not silicone) based, they turn to stone when exposed to sun/ day light.

We have plenty of those critters in Scandihooligan land! Plenty! They do not export well, so you in UK ( or US, Canada) have to do without!
:)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It depends on one's mileage I suppose ... I remember watching a bunch of mad fools manhandling a sled over crevasses in the arctic. All stripped to the waist :)

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
When you pass your pilots training they give you a set of wings. I think the post office give postmen (and post ladies) a pair of shorts. And having gained the shorts it is a matter of honour to wear them irrespective of the weather and when the rest of us wimps are drowned under a heap of cold weather gear.:emoji_snowman: :biggrin::biggrin:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE