Short notice travelling - trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I am increasingly asked by work to travel to jobs on overnighters at quite short notice and I'd like to find some trousers that I can roll up or fold up that will look decent when unpacked. The idea being to keep a bag handy that I can just throw in the van and go.
I know Irons are often available in hotels but not always and after a hard day I don't want to go hunting one.

Any recommendations?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a good garment bag and good hangers.
Sling the rig over your shoulder as you waltz into the hotel.

I needed suits 2 days a month for 6 years of flights. No big deal.

Reactions: 5teep

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m old enough to have been one of their first customers back in the day and still buy their kit albeit in their now regular DFS-like sales.. :)

I had a windproof smock years ago, the kanga pouch was good for a bottle of Guinness and a sandwich. :) That top took a bruising over the the time I had it and always looked good after being stuffed in a bag.

Reactions: beachlover

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
As soon as I saw your thread title I was going to suggest Rohan. Lol. I have a couple of sets of their Fusion Chinos. The ones they sell now are slightly different from the ones I have. The Fusions and their Grand Tour Chinos sound exactly what you need. I have travelled with mine, rolled up, and they have come out looking fine. If you are caught in rain, they dry fast, or if you need to wash them for some reason while you are away, light weight, pack down well, tough.

A friend of mine put me on to the Rohan gear with comments about his having to various trade shows in Europe, and then wanting to be able to go for walks in the local countryside. He swore by Rohan for offering double duty clothing.

I am also a fan of their Core and Ultra Silver base layers. The old Ultra Silver T-shirt and long trousers were great for packing as extra insulation, or very compact sleepwear. Sadly though, I don't get on with synthetic shirts all that much, so still have to iron cotton for that.

Reactions: 5teep

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have been very impressed buy the cheaper (around £30 a pair) Craighoppers that Go Outdoors have been selling for the last two years. I wear them day in day out, when not at work.
They worse I have happen is buttons falling off, I have never worn a pair through. They have a good selection of zipped pockets, some have zip off legs and look fine after removing from a suitcase as will

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rohan, hard to beat their 'classic' bags, but that said, the Craghoppers Himself's been wearing are pretty good. I can't say that I quite agree with Leaky5 on their longevity, I know Himself is hard-ish on his but they wear done in a couple of months. They fade and the stitching breaks down. But, they do have a hard life.
He's actually had better luck with the ones from Mountain Warehouse.....and they've always got a deal on :) so an awful lot cheaper. They're crisper looking somehow too.

M

Reactions: tiger stacker

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Slighty off topic…..whatever trousers you buy ensure the material isn't too thin around the crotch area…..no one likes to discover split threading or holes appearing in a very visible area.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
On that note, the lined Craghoppers lining is carp. It might be warm but it shreds and frays to holes before the breeks are done.

M

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
In the end I decided that buying Rohan to sit in a bag and be worn not very often was daft, I got two pairs of Craghoppers (C65 and Kiwi) for the price of one pair of Bags. Both are unlined, very light weight and look almost identical except the Kiwi pair has shed loads of pockets 7(8) versus the C65's 4. They'll do nicely.

Reactions: beachlover

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Rohan, hard to beat their 'classic' bags, but that said, the Craghoppers Himself's been wearing are pretty good. I can't say that I quite agree with Leaky5 on their longevity, I know Himself is hard-ish on his but they wear done in a couple of months. They fade and the stitching breaks down. But, they do have a hard life.
He's actually had better luck with the ones from Mountain Warehouse.....and they've always got a deal on :) so an awful lot cheaper. They're crisper looking somehow too.

M
I swore by a green pair of mountain wear house as shorts and everyday trousers…. softer than the tnf trousers i wore out

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I used to stock up twice a year at TNF factory shop at Port Glasgow for my working clothes. The shirts were superb and I still have a load of them, but the polo shirts faded, shredded and looked pretty kicked pretty quickly. The trousers lasted and lasted but never, ever, looked tidy. Sunproof, mudproof, breathable, showerproof and I looked like I'd slept in them :rolleyes:
Their fleeces have lasted really well too. Twenty years later and I'm still using a couple of them.
The craghopper's ladies trousers had a totally ridiculous number of pockets. Hidden pockets behind other pockets kind of thing. My last pair had something like fourteen pockets ! and the waist is a bumply unflattering thing too.
The men's ones though are tidy enough, but the mountain warehouse ones look pressed and don't fade near so quickly.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE