Shore plant ID, please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very interesting, thanks for the link, more of a North American sub-species which is why I've never heard of it before.

You're also on the East coast. Fife is drier than the rest of the country. Half my family came from Clackmannanshire and Fife. When my Grandmother went through to visit her sisters she took plants and herbs that grew easily here and swapped them for ones that didn't thrive in Lanarkshire.

I think it is an Umbelliferae namely Wild parsnip (Pastinaca sativa).

I don't think I've ever seen that one. Interesting. I know that some of the original cultivated carrots were white though. The Romans grew white and purple ones.

cheers,
Toddy

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Somebody came up with Sea Radish (Raphanus raphanistrum subsp. maritimus) which I think is correct, ticks all the right boxes - common along the drift line and shingle in the west. So a crucifer & not an umbellifer!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
My first reaction to was Sea Radish. I have a lot of it growing by me.

Some better photos would certainly help though :)

If you're feeling a little adventurous, the leaves tase a lot like wasabi if it's Sea Radish ;)

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall

Although it is related to the mustards, being a member of the cabbage family (it also has a very similar seed pod), it does look very similar to our mystery plant. The leaves are odd-pinnate, small and narrow towards the stem, then growing larger and ending with a single (sometimes tri-lobed) leaf at the top. They tend to be rough in texture and toothed.

And like I say, they taste very much like wasabi :D

I'm doing some filming for my wild food group this weekend (now we have some good weather), and Sea radish is on the agenda, so I'll post a link to it when it's done :D

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Last edited:

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Although it is related to the mustards, being a member of the cabbage family (it also has a very similar seed pod), it does look very similar to our mystery plant. The leaves are odd-pinnate, small and narrow towards the stem, then growing larger and ending with a single (sometimes tri-lobed) leaf at the top. They tend to be rough in texture and toothed.

And like I say, they taste very much like wasabi :D

I'm doing some filming for my wild food group this weekend (now we have some good weather), and Sea radish is on the agenda, so I'll post a link to it when it's done :D

Great stuff!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Excellent :)
What do the roots taste like ?
I can't find any information about those, only the leaves.

cheers,
Toddy

I've not tried the roots, and not heard of them being used either, but I might give them a go tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :D

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
The leaf shape clinches it for me and the correct habitat.

PIC_0767.jpg

and

Radish-Sea-1.jpg

Lyrate pinnatifid - it's called where the terminal lobe is larger than the others.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Okay, we went out and did some filming today, including Sea Radish, which I'll include a link for once it's published. However, I did get the chance to try the roots, which I've not tasted before.

Surprisingly, they taste like radish :D

You can separate the outer part of the root, from the central core (xylem?), much like you can with a carrot. The outer part tastes exactly like domesticated radish, the central core is hotter and actually has less flavour, but both are quite palatable. The texture was a little fibrous, but not woody. I chose quite a small specimen (the rosette was no more than a foot across).

This is definitely worth a try :)

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
The root was about a half inch diameter. I didn't dig out the entire root, just cut off the top couple of inches, so I don't know what the length was, but based on the taper, I would guess at around eight usable inches. It was a small specimen though with a twelve inche rosette, we saw Radish rosettes almost four foot across today!

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Very interesting, I've never seen it on the coast here in the East.

I'll do a little research in a bit and see if I can find out the main areas it is established in the UK. It's really worth trying if you can find it, very good flavour (if you like hot things), and certainly adds a bit of 'zing' to your wild food repertoire :)

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Okay, according to the information I can find, it is widespread on stabilised shingle, sand dunes and coastal grassland, but commonest in the South and West. It is predominant on the West coast of Scotland, but can also be found on the Northern Isles.

As far as I can tell, it pretty much grows anywhere in the British Isles, where soil conditions are suitable. Near me it grows mainly on the grasslands just prior to the sand dunes, although I have found it growing on verges up to a mile or so inland, although these always tend to be very small specimens (3"-6").

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Cheers for that! First impressions are that it certainly could be a Sea Radish, however our specimen, although planted 'out the back' has lost all it's leaves and is buried under a load of snow and ice just now, so can't confirm..

In the future are we going to see more of you cooking up and making various lovely recipes with what you find, perhaps much like your woodlice video? That would be nice to see, although I admit slightly more tricky.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE