Shop warning.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
Just called in at mcavoys gun shop at standish. They let me in and even thou the shop was busy I looked around at the guns till the counter cleared. Then I stood at the counter for a good 10 mins while 2 of the sales staff chatted to customers while 3 others walked around behind the counter. Not one f them came over to me or even asked me to wait. Wether I was going to buy a tin of pellets or spend a lot on a new gun they will never know because I walked out. Would say their customer Servise is very poor and would recommend anyone to stay away from them. They will never get my trade again.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Assertiveness fail.

Find what you want then fix them rooted to the spot with a Paddington stare whilst saying "My good chap, I'm in need of some assistance here, do you want my guineas or not".

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I once had the pleasure of seeing the response of one of the high-ups of Exxon Mobil when told by the barman in a hotel "Could you just wait while I finish this?". Ten fiery minutes later he had his drink, the barman had a very red face and all the customers had had a practical lesson in assertiveness.

I appreciate you feel snubbed, but do they even realise you were in the shop, and do you have your pellets?

Z

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Reminds me of the other day when ordering a takeaway. We dont do a lot of ordering food on the phone but was tempted by a pizza delivery leaflet we had through the post so I called the number,, ring,, answer "ye?" "is that the pizza place?" "ye" "so you deliver to my area" "ye" me "sorry wrong number", phone down.

Cooked up chicken pesto pasta, disaster averted.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So, what were in there to buy?

Ever been in a restaurant where the waiter doesn't seem to meet your eye? Or the opposite, a restaurant where the waiter is a bit in your face?

If you require service, then ask, but I don't think you should start a slagging thread here because you were waiting for someone to attend to you when all you have to do is ask.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
So, what were in there to buy?

Ever been in a restaurant where the waiter doesn't seem to meet your eye? Or the opposite, a restaurant where the waiter is a bit in your face?

If you require service, then ask, but I don't think you should start a slagging thread here because you were waiting for someone to attend to you when all you have to do is ask.

mmmmm sorry, i dont agree with you, he was stood at an empty counter for 10 mins whilst sales staff who were not dealing with customers walked around and ignored him. Why should he have to ask sales staff to serve him, i wouldn't. You dont walk into a sweet shop and have to ask to be served, or a butchers shop or any other shop that i know of. If your standing by the counter its because you want serving, dont forget its you whos giving them your money, there not doing you any favours, its the other way around, theres no way i'd stand for that just as i wouldnt in any other shop, bar or restaurant.
they either want your money or they dont, simple as that.

just my opinion, im not saying im right, but thats how i feel.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to just wait in those sort of occasions, but now I will just go up to one and say "excuse me, can I get some service/help/advise here" delete as appropriate.Got to use a loud, assertive voice. I only manage it half the time, the other half I wait or use an in-assertive voice. It depends if I'm in a mood or not. If I'm spoiling for a scrap I'll get very assertive at times.
Oh! And don't spin me a line neither if I'm in a mood. I'll only give you so much rope as you try conning me that this expensive (and higher bonus for you) item is perfect for me when one half the price is better. I'll know what you're doing and will sure let you know it once you've finished your sales pitch. Both barrels!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
mmmmm sorry, i dont agree with you, he was stood at an empty counter for 10 mins whilst sales staff who were not dealing with customers walked around and ignored him. Why should he have to ask sales staff to serve him, i wouldn't. You dont walk into a sweet shop and have to ask to be served, or a butchers shop or any other shop that i know of. If your standing by the counter its because you want serving, dont forget its you whos giving them your money, there not doing you any favours, its the other way around, theres no way i'd stand for that just as i wouldnt in any other shop, bar or restaurant.
they either want your money or they dont, simple as that.

just my opinion, im not saying im right, but thats how i feel.

Yep. Essentially a customer is the Employer (the boss) and the shop owner & staff are the Employees (the subordinates) But as the video in post #8 shows, money talks, BS walks. The quickest way to get service is to walk in wearing expensive clothing and jewelry with large bills in your hand.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sorry Santaman but shopping is a simple process, I go in to buy something or get information and not hang around so just make eye contact and follow up with "excuse me can you ...." Job done and I'm out of the store with the goods or information I wanted. No use just standing there like a limp stick of celery, life's just too short for that nonsense.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry Santaman but shopping is a simple process, I go in to buy something or get information and not hang around so just make eye contact and follow up with "excuse me can you ...." Job done and I'm out of the store with the goods or information I wanted. No use just standing there like a limp stick of celery, life's just too short for that nonsense.

Not sure where we're disagreeing here?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...They will never get my trade again..."

If you feel this bad about it and have a gmail email and thus a google account, find the place on google maps and review it, anyone looking for the shop on their smart phone will read about your negative experience and be forewarned.

I spent my mid to late twenties in a retail environment, it seemed obvious that if someone wandered into the shop they should be acknowledged with a friendly hello, even if you were attending to someone else or if the place was busy, something along the lines of "if you need any help, someone will be with you soon".

However those were the days when retailing was a profession rather than low paid work with a high staff turnover.

It isn't often that I will walk out of a shop without trying to collar someone, however in common with most folks in the UK I generally do not complain but always vote with my feet and find somewhere else to take my business.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Gun shops are notorious for being a bit cliquey. It maybe comes from the fact that they know they are the only gun shop in the area.

I've been in a few over the years where the staff are chatting/brewing with regulars and won't even look at you. If I need something I'll speak up, but if I can go elsewhere I will.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Gun shops are notorious for being a bit cliquey. It maybe comes from the fact that they know they are the only gun shop in the area......

LOL. They'd hate the competition here. Every pawn shop and Walmart sells guns and ammo. Then there's over a dozen dedicated gun/sporting goods shops (some with shooting ranges) within a half hour's drive. And at least one surplus store with a firearms license and hundreds of private individuals with dealer's licenses. Not to mention Bass Pro and the AAFES (our version of NAFFI) which is nice as they don't charge sales tax.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The opposite is just as bad for me. I absolutely hate the pounced on as you walk in the door approach. I don't walk into a shop to be told what to buy, I'll have done my research before I go in and want a simple transaction when I'm ready and not a sales pitch, the power sell is a real annoyance of mine.

In the case of the above though I'd have just gone up to someone and ask if i could be served when it was convenient...

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Its just the fact that hes stood by the counter and the sales staff walking aound ignore him. I wouldnt be happy with that But then i have a choice of 4 different gunshops. I suppose it might be a different story if i never had the choice.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Spot on:

[video=youtube;jT5rMvo3Clc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5rMvo3Clc[/video]

Just read about this and was reminded of this thread...

Oprah Winfrey walks into a 'handbag' store in Zurich and asks an assistant "Excuse me, may I see the bag right above your head?" and the assistant responds, "No. It's too expensive". When Winfrey insisted she did want to see the bag the shop assistant allegedly replied: "No, no you don’t want to see that one, you want to see this one because that one will cost too much. You will not be able to afford that."

Oprah Winfrey has around about 2.6 billion US to play around with.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE