Shoot it or watch it??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shoot it or watch it????

• Total voters

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've always known they were vermin. I used to only watch them but one year when they has expanded in number our wild bird boxes were attacked and the birds and eggs killed/destroyed. The boxes are now screwed down and I shoot the squirrels on sight in the garden. Up to 3 so far this week. (It's kind of the neighbour to put food out for them to bury in my garden!)

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have never thought it mutually exclusive between shooting and watching game animals. I have done both all my life. Man, left to his own, hunts and eats meat. In order to hunt and eat meat you have to watch and watch out for animals. I'm fine with that.

Here in Pennsylvania we have loads of grays. I used to hunt them as a kid in a huge forest behind my house just about every day during the season. It was great fun. Out of the season (hunting season is the Fall) I would just watch them. In fact the only ones I've ever killed out of season were pest animals that had invaded structures. Here they are not a problem animal as long as they stay in the woods. Mac

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I only shot rats in the past but would like to taste woodpigeon after reading about it. I wouldn't kill anything for the fun of it, I've heard squirrels are tasty but being akin to the rat, freaks me.
icon9.gif

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
shoot it then eat it keep the skin but first find its drea and poke it then kill whats in it bloody vermin red squirell now i could watch alll day sorry just my personal opinion

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
shoot, gather, shoot more of em, eat.
if its red its happy to go free but the greys are so prolifant its worth shooting to eat.

Every time I see a grey I think about the air rifle I'm saving up for and various kinds of trap - I also think about food.

I do get a kick out of watching them - but I'd not bat an eyelid about shooting one for the pot or otherwise - give me reds any day. The damage the greys do gets to me, I doubt I'll love to see the day the greys are gone and the reds repopulate the lost lands, but I'll play my part in making it happen.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Shoot it then eat it.
otherwise just watch it.

if i want to shoot something for fun, well thats what target or consoles are for.
pete

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I'm a vegetarian! Which do you think I'd rather do?

I fully agree with Pablo: watch and learn. I like to see any wildlife.

I agree that they're a problem for our indigenous types, but it's not their fault! We probably forced the HS Neanderthals into extinction and have certainly done so for many, many other species. Should we then shoot humans?

Claudiasboris

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I usually watch it but when I had my slingshot I would go and try to hunt grey squirrels, although I never succeeded. I think for alot of people, at least the ones that grew up with hunting, there was a time where you just wanted to shoot something and get your first kill. I went through that (though definately didn't grow up with hunting) and would go after everything, even sparrows with my bb guns. I was so caught up in it that I didn't even think, what the heck would I do with it if I had of killed one of those sparrows. Now I wouldn't kill anything unless I intended to eat it. Once I get new bands for my slingshots I'll probably go hunting again but that's the thing, squirrels can be eaten, sparrows can't. I still enjoy watching more than killing and wouldn't slaughter every squirrel in town or anything.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I tend to watch them when I'm out walking the dog and learn where they feed, come to ground and generally gather (little heathens!) and I enjoy doing so. When out with the gun I shoot any that a get a clean, guaranteed shot at. I can also relate to wanting to shoot anything that stops still long enough when starting out, not long until I realised that there's more satisfaction to be had from hunting a specific animal and being able to get a clean, humane kill every time :)

I don't know where I sit on the moral ground of killing to thin the grey population out. I'm definitely an animal lover and that's why I'll only pull the trigger when it's a guaranteed kill, but I can't deny that I'd like to see reds in my area, likely or not! On a related note, taking the Explorers to Brownsea Island in July :)

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
I'm a vegetarian! Which do you think I'd rather do?

I fully agree with Pablo: watch and learn. I like to see any wildlife.

I agree that they're a problem for our indigenous types, but it's not their fault! We probably forced the HS Neanderthals into extinction and have certainly done so for many, many other species. Should we then shoot humans?

Claudiasboris

shooting humans is slightly illegal and therefore not up for moral debate wheras shooting tree rats isnt.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE