Shocking story on BBC News

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Colin,

The original post, first one in this thread both railed about the pointless, cruel and stupid actions of three teenagers in killing a fawn and then proceeded to, at least in appearance, display a wish by the OP to meet said teenagers 'down a dark alley' - I find it a little difficult to believe he meant to meet them to teach them the finer points of modern dance. This I found somewhat ironic, wishing a lack of cruelty in once sentence and a potential death sentence for said cruelty in the next.

Has the OP removed the first post then? I can still see it although the title, which was the original link between the nazi comments and this thread has now been changed.

Be under no illusion, I think of the actions of the teenagers in killing the fawn as deserving of our contempt, and proper punishment should be meted out for it.

However, I don't believe beating them to a pulp in a dark alley or inflicting some form of physical/corporal/capital punishment on them would be in any way helpful to the situation nor indicative of a civilized society.

That may be your take on what he said, but from what I read he never said once he was going to beat them to a pulp he may by his own admission implied it but unlike the lads who killed the deer he never did it or i would think never would, it was a knee jerk reaction to a very harrowing story

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
As discussed in 'Not the nine o'clock news' a fair few years ago....

The only answer is 'Off with their b......s'.

Sorry.no link...

But as I get older and wiser, I see that nothing short of a good thrashing will suffice.

I was once very liberal in view,indeed still am in many ways, but some things deserve a good dose of real 'summary justice'.

I can bet more of the kids my age learnt such as opposed to those given a social worker.

I've been there there on the front line,before and after public service.:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more.

A length of knotted rope says a good deal more than 'Could you tell me about your mother?'

Pete

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
durulz said:
Many countries have corporal and capital punishment. Yet they still have crime

So you think that criminal prosecution is only for deterrence and not about exacting justice?

All such punitive measures do is create resentment and show you get your own way with violence

And giving the wee loves a free Safari in Africa and a lifelong subscription to the Guardian newspaper shows them that violence doesn't pay? LOL! These sickos can "resent" all they like, so long as they are scared to display that resentment criminally for fear of more than a sociology class being meted out as punishment I'm fine with that.

The purpose of state is to protect its subjects and citizens, not harm them

You abrogate your right to that protection when you break the social contract and use the umbrella of protection provided by the state that prevents people who are tougher and more ruthless than you from abusing you, as a safe haven from which to launch sickening and cowardly attacks on creatures that are weaker and more vulnerable than you are.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
You abrogate your right to that protection when you break the social contract and use the umbrella of protection provided by the state that prevents people who are tougher and more ruthless than you from abusing you, as a safe haven from which to launch sickening and cowardly attacks on creatures that are weaker and more vulnerable than you are.

caliban,

Well said that man!!!!!!, thats exactly how i feel on the subject, there once was a time when innocent people used to get beatings from corrupt police (not all but the bad apples ect) and this had to change, but as usual with being PC, we go to far the other way, the victims never seem to count any more, be it a oap or a little fawn, its seems to be more about the morons and there rights.

It really amazes me that people can do horrible things in society and then are so quick to claim that their human rights are being violated, surely we all should have human rights but when you abuse others rights be them human/animal then surely as Caliban said you cant hide under that umbrella......

All the best

Colin

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
It really amazes me that people can do horrible things in society and then are so quick to claim that their human rights are being violated, surely we all should have human rights but when you abuse others rights be them human/animal then surely as Caliban said you cant hide under that umbrella......

If only people would realise that along with rights go responsibilities. We should never had had a human rights act without a complementary human responsibilities act, and a clear law showing how one effects the other and how a failure to live up to the human responsibilities abrogates the rights.

I think its stems from the problem of European law being clumisly fitted into an English one and because of the binding nature of judicial Precedents in the United Kingdom, but don'e get me started on that.

Sorry I drifted off thread - it was a terrible crime and the persons responsible should be tirelessly hunted down and penalised to the maximum extent that the law allows.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Back when I was at university a girl I shared a house with told me of an incident when she was in school. So this must have been no later than 1994. A guy in her class came into school and bragged about having strangled a cat with its own tail. I have since wondered whether such a thing is actually possible, but in any case it was a stupid thing to brag about because it impressed his classmates less than he expected. Instead, he got beaten up.

I can't help but think that punishment at the hands of his peers would have a far greater salutory effect than anything that might have eventually been handed down from on-high.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I can't help but think that punishment at the hands of his peers would have a far greater salutory effect than anything that might have eventually been handed down from on-high.

I'm sure you're right - but doesn't that kind of stance empower the lynch mob attitude? And what happens to our concept of 'justice' then?

This was a despicable and abhorrent crime. What is interesting is the gulf dividing the two schools of thought about what should happen to the perpetrators. It seems that the violence of feeling is matched only by the savagery meted out on the poor, innocent fawn.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland

Works for me!

Many countries have corporal and capital punishment. Yet they still have crime.
That said, it's pretty uncommon for the subject of an execution to reoffend.

The purpose of state is to protect its subjects and citizens, not harm them.
What about protecting the law-abiding citizens? Or does that not come into it? Some crooks can be rehabilitated, and some are, but random acts of utter cruelty and inhumanity deserve worse punishment than a pathetically short prison sentence. If you want it in less confrontational terms, it's been observed and proven time and time again that violent criminals tend to work their way up through crimes, gradually increasing the severity of their crimes. The more they get away with, the more destructive they become. You might be OK with the risk that their next target, or a target down the line, is one of your friends, or family members, or hell, even just your dog - but I ain't. Criminals in this country know they'll get a cushy ride even if they do get convicted. There are people out there who have upwards of 50 convictions, can you honestly say that they can be rehabilitated?

Pete

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I'm sure you're right - but doesn't that kind of stance empower the lynch mob attitude? And what happens to our concept of 'justice' then?

Tiley, i have a feeling most people dont actually want to do nasty things for real to these evil people, its just really an angry frustration that when ever you read or hear about these things there doesnt really seem to be any real justice.

How often to we see someone killing or raping and they get a 10 year sentence, and we all know they will probably be out in 5 years, or an animal like this innocent fawn being tortured to death ( welcome to the world, little one ) and the kids get off with 20 hours community service -

This isnt justice and hence why, we the people arnt happy with the law as it stands, we all know that the real reason is that there isnt the space in jails, so these animals get off with all kind of sick stunts that sicken the MAJORITY of good decent people.

How do we change such things, well we dont, im afraid as a post earlier said, these things have always happened and always will, all we can do is make it understood that hurting an animal is not funny and not accepted in any civilized society, in that way we can maybe persuade the immature not to act in this manner, but im afraid, as human beings, there will always be a sick, unhealthy element that will do these things for the pure pleasure of it.

An interesting question would be, "If you saw this happening to the fawn, would you intervene, even at your own risk?"

I for one would, i know there has been a point made about meeting violence with violence and the irony in that, but as a society it is our duty to defend the innocent and weak from the evil doers of this world, as the famous saying goes -

Evil can only take hold when the good turn there back and ignore it

OK, im not quite sure thats a famous phrase, but you get my point, it will be interesting to see how many of us would intervene, try to be honest in this, there is no shame in admitting you would just walk on, i know many of us have families we have to put first ect ect..

All the best

Colin....

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
[QUOTE=coln18;610833
it's just really an angry frustration that when ever you read or hear about these things there doesnt really seem to be any real justice.

Everyone is entitled to be outraged by such atrocities. Francis Bacon, in his essay "On Revenge" declared that was "a wild kind of justice", suggesting that there were always going to be occasions when actions are the only suitable punishments and meeting violence with violence can feel justified, even redemptive in the sense that the group is acting on behalf of the silent majority.

This isnt justice ... these animals get off with all kind of sick stunts that sicken the MAJORITY of good decent people.

I would count myself in that number on this occasion. However, if the lynch mob's 'justice' becomes the norm in emotive issues the whole time, we start down the road of abandoning justice in its broader sense. Yes, the law can be an bottom and, yes, it is sickening to think of the perpetrators of heinous and despicable crimes getting off so lightly but what is the solution? Stiffer sentences? Reintroducing the death penalty? Or might education produce the answer over the longer term? I make no claims to have a solution; I do not state that my position occupies the moral high ground. All I am trying to do is elicit a considered, rational and, yes, just response to the disgusting behaviour of these young people.

An interesting question would be, "If you saw this happening to the fawn, would you intervene, even at your own risk?"

Yes, I would - without hesitation.

there has been a point made about meeting violence with violence and the irony in that, but as a society it is our duty to defend the innocent and weak from the evil doers of this world.

Again, a good point, persuasively made. However, I think I would feel happier acting on my own, rather than in a group, no matter what the scenario simply because I have a deep-seated fear of the possibility and power of 'mob rule'. For all its shortcomings - and they are numerous - I try to hold on to a faith in the due process of law where a felony has been committed. Sentencing is inadequate in any number of cases but the process whereby a decision is reached by twelve members of the public after due consideration has to be better than an emotionally driven twitch reaction to a felony. If you see something occurring that you consider to be wrong, then step in and defend that innocent party or victim; after the event, I think it is wiser to let the ineeficient process grind its way to a decision which may not be the justice that you would want but does represent a form of it.

I know this sounds limp and all-too-placatory and I remain revolted by the crime that started this thread - so I apologise, unreservedly for not being more red-blooded about it. :(

Richard

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
No need to be sorry for your post Tiley, its quite obvious that your reply was well thought out and well made, i agree fullly with your replies, once the act has been commited there is no place for mob justice, even though at times we humans can act with best intentions, but when emotions run high, this is when society must fall back on the law and trust and hope that justice will be served for the people.

It is also good to read a reply from someone open to debate who doesnt let emotions run riot and who clearly isnt out for a fight or a wind up...

All the best COLIN.....

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Sorry but I'm not buying any of that. What's "human rights" anyway? We've had human rights protection in this country for hundreds of years, longer than almost any country in the world, it's called the English Common Law. What's referred to as "human rights" in the present was a massive subversive reformation of our ancient legal system in favour of criminals. Violence is a deterrent, there were very low rates of recidivism from those who had been subjected to the discipline of the birch. That's a plain fact. If the threat of violence didn't work, why would nightclubs operating under the free market not employ mediators instead of bouncers? As for getting less liberal as you get older, that's got nothing to do with age, it's to do with having accumulated much more experience of how things actually work. As for acting within the law, we are not arguing about being allowed to take vigilante action, but are arguing about what "within the law" should actually encompass. These sick scumbags should be punished "within the law" as it was before the daydreaming utopians got their hands on it and changed it without any democratic consent, and that would mean they would have been perfectly legally beaten until they squealed.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
good points, but whats ancient english common law got to do with a boy who stays in edinburgh (he he), im sure back then we picts ruled the world - didnt we? and it was scottish common law (in other words do what you like!)

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Ha, ha! Sorry guys I've put my soapbox away. I do feel strongly about this, but I never intended to sound so confrontational, and it's just my obstinate opinion, worth no more than that of any of the people who feel as strongly in the other direction. I've been given my Horrlicks and bubble wrap so you'll hear no more from me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE