Shock cord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't think so.
Some on here do though. It would potentially stop the tarp getting ripped in very strong winds and I guess thats why others use it. My DD has been through some 70mph gusts though, and not flinched. The tarp is made of the same fabric as the hammock and is strong stuff.
I much prefer a taut tarp, it blocks the wind better. Any shock cord added will obviously make the shelter move more in the wind, and for me, this would be a bad thing.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
Thanks Teepee, have to admit that I have added it to a lightweight poncho as I was worried that the eyelets would pull through. Will leave the tarp as is.

Cheers mate

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
It's as much for your pegs and lines as it is for your tarp. A strong gust might launch a peg a good distance.

I've got spare shockcord so I'll be adding some. I do like to tinker tho' :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used it on my DD and I'm now using similar tarp tensioners on my Superfly and Ogee, I think it's a good idea but I do spend quite a lot of time on the Scottish west coast so it's nice to have when the winds come in.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It can help stabilise the tarp in bad weather.
If the weather changes for the worse it means you don't need to adjust the tarp tension.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
Hmmm, I do like to dither. Maybe add some but only use it if the wind gets silly. Guess it's down to trial and error :confused: OK assuming I use it, what sort of lengths are best..

TIA

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're just putting a loop in then a piece about 6-8" should do you, fold it in half and tie with an over hand knot.

On my silnylon tarps I use a variation of this, I use a single length with a loop in one end which is larksheaded on to my tarp tie out, and then at full stretch I tie a clove hitch around the shock cord with my guy line. I'll do some pics tomorrow if it's not very clear.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try and get 100% stretch too as it's soft enough to give a bit in the wind.

If you have a 5" length and can stretch it 10" or more then that's perfect

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
If you're just putting a loop in then a piece about 6-8" should do you, fold it in half and tie with an over hand knot.

On my silnylon tarps I use a variation of this, I use a single length with a loop in one end which is larksheaded on to my tarp tie out, and then at full stretch I tie a clove hitch around the shock cord with my guy line. I'll do some pics tomorrow if it's not very clear.

Please Rich, if you don't mind

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE