Shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Generally summer and winter i wear a icebreaker t-shirt, these are wool but pretty good even in the summer.

I have tried ULLSFORTE stuff but think it way over prices and not that good either, a army norgy under a ranger shirt would be better than their 200gm under a 400gm and half the price!

ANother good base layer - again Merino wool - is advantage survival gear, not as good as icebreaker but still pretty good.

Personally I aviod synthetic t-shirts like the plage while cotton ones are best saved for the heat of summer.

jakunen

Native
My normal bas layer is either a US or British army cotton t-shirt, as I don't 'normally' do much in the cold (prefer a galss of whiskey in hand by log fire indoors), but I'm looking into Merino wool/Smartwool as it sounds like its the canine's tender parts of you choice.

I used to use silk, but currently don't have any. Must get some more...

For my mind, I'd rather pay a bit extra for something that I know will keep me warm than curse myself for not spending the money and freezing in something inadequate but cheap.

Having said that I have a SwannDri Ranger winging its way over from New Zealand at a very reasonable price...

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
H/H do a good synthetic / woool mix Lifa base layer now, it is quite abit thicker than the traditional one but tons better. It is warmer, holds a lot more water before feeling wet, stays warm (relatively) when wet and is not much more expensive than the normal Lifa. It seems to hold off the smells well too.

I wear ine for running / walking now it is cold, you have to be carefull though the wool can cause the dreaded Nipple rub (as my left side will happily testify.... oh the blood...... :yikes: )

I also found that as an alternative to the ulfrotte stuff on RM's web site, Blacks now do a range of 100% pure merino wool base layers in several styles and thicknesses, but like you say they are not cheap, even less so coming from Blacks!!!

I have to admit, for all the technical fabrics i have, I tend to end up wearing cotton t's, 10 quid for 3, if it gets wet, i change it.... dry it by the fire, and its good to go for another day.....

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I think many of you miss the point, cotton only kills when getting wet and they usually get wet from sweat, and that means that if you are sweating you are having too much clothes on you or are working/moving to fast. People that are living in extreme cold knows that as soon they start to sweat they are in trouble so they take it slow or they take off clothes.

If you are travelling through a very windy open landscape on a sunny day you will probably start to sweat a lot but when you stop for a break keep a jacket or shirt easy accesible so you can take it on to keep you warm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE