Shirts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Squidders said:
cotton kills? that's a very funny statement!

Be careful or the government will be banning cotton for under 18s!

:rolmao: It does kill though. First time I went to Norway, I went up in the mountains in a cotton T shirt and fleece. I sweated into the shirt, and then got so cold it was incredible. Never again!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The clothes only does 30% the rest is knowledge. The swedish army and many other used cotton in all their clothes, when I went in to the army in the late 90´s we had cotton long johns and we survived without any problems even in the cold winter.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Squidders said:
Isn't the idea to wear just enough to not be cold but not so much that you sweat buckets?

Cotton doesn't kill, come on.

When you're walking hard with 60lb on your back you sweat, it's unavoidable. Then when you stop you get very cold, as the climate is cold but mainly that your cotton is waterlogged because it soaks up a very large proportion of water it's in, which then evaporates and makes you very cold. You are caught between the two extremes and constantly have to keep changing your clothes when you stop and go... it might not kill, but it can certainly make you very cold indeed, even on a day that seems warm.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've always thought that "cotton kills" was a bit simplistic, but it does at least get the point across. Viking is quite right, I believe, with the view that knowledge of how to use a fabric is important. One of my favourite undershirts is an L.L. Bean River Driver shirt, the old two-layer Duofold design where a thin inner of cotton is attached to a mixed (wool/cotton/synthetic) outer layer, but I would not wear it all of the time. For serious cold I prefer all wool or synthetics (unless I'm wearing my Buffalo, in which case I don't need an undershirt), not least because they are much more forgiving if you screw up or the unexpected happens. I've been bone-chillingly cold (dangerously so) and have no particular wish to repeat the experience.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, I wouldn't call a hard slog with 60lbs bushcraft, I would call that trekking or something... I guess we got our wires crossed.

I was referring to general use bushcraft, spill fish guts on it, have it smell of camp fire, use it to dry dishes and abuse it to hell and back without caring less cotton T-shirts.

In that scenario, may I recommend something technical? if you're in cold climates working at near maximum capacity over extended periods you want a base layer that simply wicks moisture away, followed by an insulating layer or two and a shell garment. I favour lowe alpine for wicking layers as they're cheaper than the HH stuff and seem to generate less static electricity.

I would also prefer a long sleved shirt with no pockets or seams to rub you.

Joe

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Brynje or Ullfrotte.
Cotton as base layer doesn´t make sense to me. Only in very warm climate I wear cotton mesh (which is pefect in the heat).

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I usually use a Lowe Alpine dry zone long sleeve shirt as a base layer I could not believe the difference after wearing cotton. I chopped wood for almost an hour and I didn't get a sweat problem at all, my cotton shirt would be wringing wet after that.
I quote
"Faster-wicking zones are mapped seamlessly over body ‘hot spots’ giving enhanced comfort."

Not everyones cup of tea but I really noticed a difference.
Next layer is usually an arktis antartica merino wool shirt or a Gore windstopper N2S shirt depending on conditions. If I need pockets I also take an issue soldier 95 DPM shirt.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Around the woods - cheap 3 pack of cotton T shirts from the huntin' and fishin' bit of any Decathlon store. 2 shades of green and one khaki. Works out at only a few quid each.

I don't get on well with wool so in the hills I like lowe alpine dryflow T shirts and fleece/pertex.

I've done the sweat buckets into a cotton baselayer on a freezing cold day and know just how cold you can get when you stop.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Our weather is so mild, that from March through December, you will find me wearing nothing but cotton. A short or longsleeved T has been my usual base layer, but lately I've been wearing a longsleeved Henley.

For the other two months when it rains and gets cold, I am a wool fanatic. I've been wearing wool for years and really like the merino Henley as my base layer (it doesn't get cold enough to need to layer too much). I also wear a good heavy Wigwam merino hiking sock.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Arctic Hobo is spot on with his ideas on cotton but only in certain circumstances, if I was trekking in cold climates I'd never dream of wearing a cotton base layer - I wear a HH which is perfect (albeit a little "shocking" when you take them off....mmmm, love that static hair do!).

But, let us not forget that the Famous Norwegen army shirt is made of......cotton and not the wool you would expect.
I also like the british army Vest ECW (extream cold weather) which I think is made of cotton but I can't be sure (I'll look at the label tonight) but I'd still choose the HH if I'm on the move.

If I'm messig about in the woods then I tend to go with Squidders that you can't beat a cheap as chips cotton t-shirt. Covered with a cotton britsh army og shirt (dpm if I'm stalking) if it's a bit nippy or my swanni if it's spring/fall.

I also have a buffalo mountain shirt and can't speak highly enough of them, I had my last one stolen while working training instructors on an outdoor centre and found out how much I missed it...I went and bought another within the week. you don't wear anything under them and they can be zipped open all over the place so you don't get hot in them, they keep you warm when wet too....only down side if they burn easy and catch campfire sparks which leave little holes that your mates look at suspicously! I stick my og smock over the top if I'm by a camp fire for long.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Cotton has its downsides, but then so do synthetics, so it's horses for courses!

When I'm walking with a heavy pack I usually wear a synthetic wicking base layer (with built in mosquito repellency!), with a supplex nylon shirt over the top (Air Land & Sea). The shirt has mesh covered vents in the back, loads of pockets, adjustable cuffs and button secured roll-up sleeves. I run warm, so tend not to wear anything else on top of that while on the move, just adding a fleece when I stop, unless it's raining of course. I've found that this synthetic layering principle massively improves the sweat problem, and vitually eliminates clamminess. My back still gets wet, but after 10 minutes with my fleece on at rest, I'm a lot more comfortable. My cotton layering used to stay wet for hours. As Squidders says though, this isn't that relevant whilst pottering about in the woods.

Also synthetics smell horrible, especially after a few days, so you need to rinse them out when you can. At least they dry quickly.

When I get to camp I like to change into cotton, particularly to sleep in, as it smells less and feels more comfortable on the skin. Wool generally makes me itch and is too warm, but I am getting some Ullfrotte long johns for Christmas, so we'll see if the non-itch claims are justified!

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
I have a long-sleeved HH that I've used for over ten years, and it's still going. Over that if I'm working then an old synthetic fleece (mine are Gelert). If I'm after warmth (e.g. flighting duck or winter mountaintops) I go for an old cashmere or merino wool layer. (Aldi do great merino jumpers if you find them!) Both are very warm and also thin, which is good if you're using bow or gun as you don't get that 'Michelin Man' feeling.

The synthetics are easy to clean and they dry quickly, and they sure don't hold sweat like cotton can.

Sin é.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE