Shelter Choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I spend as much of the summer as possible camping from my open canoe. My old dome tent has finally given up the ghost - my problem is that I cant decide what to replace it with.
The options I have come up with are:

1. A new tent - possibly The North Face Mountain Marathon http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/The-North-Face-Mountain-Marathon---AW05.html

2. A tarp and a bivi bag - lots of options

3. An Expedition Asym Hammock from Hennessy http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wce=99011001&wci=product

Use would be limited to river and lake side in the UK and Ireland.
Protection from midgies etc very important
Weight is not really an issue within reason.
Expense not really an issue except that I dont like spending money that I dont need to.
Speed of set up and striking camp is pretty important - alot of places I camp are a bit marginal in terms of permission :cool: . As long as Im only there between dusk and early morning then there is never a problem.
If anybody could take the time to tell me which route they would go and why Id really appreciate it and it might just help me to make up my mind.
No matter how I look at it they all have pros and cons

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would go for the tent, because of the insect mesh and comfort factor, I know what its like being beside the water (used to do a lot of fishing). Some bivi's have insect mesh, I know, and will be quicker to set up and pack away, so may be best if you are sleeping on someone else's land and need a quick getaway. With a hammock, you do need to hang it somewhere. As weight is not an issue in a canoe, why not take all three..................Jon

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I've been backpacking and camping with a hammock for three or four years now. There's no doubt that the Hennessy Hammock is a great piece of gear when you want something light, fast, and integrated.

However...

My favorite hammock of all time is the Expedition Model Mosquito Hammock.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

It doesn't include a tarp, so you'd have to add that to your expenses. But I don't think it can be beat otherwise.

Bear

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
You could try Golite Hex 3 4-Season Shelter Forest Green this is on my wish list.

It is very versatile piece of kit that has lots of options for pitching.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
About 15 years ago, I quit using nylon tents. We used canvas when I was young and I always liked them. I got tired of waking up clammy in a nylon tent. When I canoe with the family we use a 15 pound canvas tent - which I also use for winter camping (I have an eight pound wood stove which heats the tent nicely).

For my solo camping, I use an oiled Egyptian cotton diamond fly and make sure I bring a 12' X 12' square of mosquito net.

For years, I've used a 7' X 7' tarp for the diamond fly, but after getting drenched in a terrible storm two years ago, upped the size to 10' X 10'.

The diamond fly is light, versatile, and gives me a much better chance of saving my food pack from bears.

PG

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I'd love to see a picture of your setup, it sounds great!
how much does the fly weigh? and where did you buy the oiled egyptian cotton?

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
wentworth said:
I'd love to see a picture of your setup, it sounds great!
how much does the fly weigh? and where did you buy the oiled egyptian cotton?

Not sure if I have a photo. I'm not much of a photographer - especially when I'm out alone (if I'm with the Mrs - we use the tent).

My original diamond fly was purchased from Panther Primitives. The one I use now - I bought the material at a fur trade gathering for $10 a yard (it usually goes for about $20) and sewed it up at home.

I'll see if I can come up with a photo (how do you post them to the site?).

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE