Sheath making question!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Making a new sheath for my Damascus steel knife with ebony handle I have just finished.

What mm leather do you use for the Ferro rod holder, the main sheath is 3mm veg tan.

Cheers

Jay

Last edited:

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Yes Mate medium/large sized ones! Also do people favour certain stitching for the Belt loop on the back face of the sheath ie Square, round or shield shape. Just wonder what has the least amount of stress and longevity!

Cheers

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Hamish Scived down, is that like shaving it down slightly??? Just I have my wright & sons bush knife sheath to copy from, Looking at that its about 1.5mm thick on the fire steel loop and 3mm on the main sheath. Any ideas on the Stitching of the belt loop???

Thanks for your help

Jay

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
yeah just slicing some of it off the underside has worked for me. but i suppose you could use thinner stuff. its your sheath, do it how you like :) as for the belt loop...again it doesnt really matter as long as the stitching it tight and sturdy you cant go wrong

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....i like my sheaths to be made of one piece of leather, 3.5mm+, and by doing that when the holder part is folded round the end of it goes inside to form part of the welt....and its also extremely sturdy and being of thick leather it strays 'grippy' on the steel....if you use thinner leather....say 1.5mm (x2=3mm to equal the welt thickness) then i would think it prone to loosening....me personally, i would use the same leather as the sheath and, using a skiver, thin the two ends of the steel holder piece until theyre halved.....as dreadhead mentioned. as for belt loop....mix it up m8....i do it slightly different on each batch i make,....bit of uniqueness....do the stitching in a circle or a star, whatever!

have fun

a

ps....i use artificial sinew and i triple-stitch the beltloop to the sheath body....its the one place you dont ever want the stitching to fail

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just cut the leather so that the firesteel holder is attached to it before any sewing is done. The you just fold it over and it becomes part of the welt. No skiving needed. :)

Like this
P1010305.jpg

P1010306.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Last edited:

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Angst I will do mate, Hill Bill do you still have a welt fitted between the join on the main part of the sheath below the ferro holder?? Trying to get a stitch groover to no real joy, can i use anything else to do it??? Great looking knife and Sheath btw. Camel bone???

Jay

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes Jay, the welt is fitted below the firsteel loop :)

You will struggle without a stitch groover as it follows the edge of the sheath.

Some here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...able+stitch+groover&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Angst I will do mate, Hill Bill do you still have a welt fitted between the join on the main part of the sheath below the ferro holder?? Trying to get a stitch groover to no real joy, can i use anything else to do it??? Great looking knife and Sheath btw. Camel bone???

The handle on the knife is Bone Corian with stainless bolsters front and rear. :) Thanks.:)

Jay

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
oi hillbill! using pictures......thats cheating! show-off! lol

yup twas what i was trying to say with my thousands of words....

am just putting finishes touches to my new sheath which has a stone holder too for first time....luckylees multicarry drives me nuts so ive had a go...nightmare job....respek' to the man lee

ok...stitching next.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE