Sharpening question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone can help,

I'm trying to achieve the razor edge on a Stewart Marsh woody clone in RWL/34 that it had when I first purchased it.
I'm using a 1000/6000 water stone and using a permanent marker to make sure I'm keeping the bevel flat against the stone.
10 stokes one way, then the other and then alternate on the 1000 and then repeat on the 6000 as in Rays bushcraft videos.
I'm just not getting an decent edge on it at all. I must of tried about 5-6 times to sharpen the knife using the same technique and wondered if anyone had any tips.
I understand that RWL/34 is harder to sharpen and also rockwell terms and wondered if I should be using a different grade stone or something I am missing altogether.

A Frustated,

Nicolas

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It takes some time to do but keep on with it you will get there in the end, not used RW/34 before but steels do vary, and some take a while to get sharp, stropping with paste gets good results for the final touch and gets a sharp knife even sharper.

Good luck.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Instead of doing 10 strokes on one side, then 10 on the other, I'd suggest trying a different way. Using your coarse stone, keep sharpening one side only, until you can feel a burr form on the opposite side. Then repeat for the opposite side. At this point, you know you have brought the grind down the the very edge on both sides. Repeat with finer and finer stones, then strop off whatever remaining burr edge you have left.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE