knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CanopySoup

Jul 6, 2022
South wales
morning,
so, I wanted a knife, I'm now slipping into research so I can purchase the perfect knife for me. I have a tbs boar, which is nice but definitely too thick, I would prefer something a little smaller and maybe around 3mm not 4.
I have been speaking to some custom knife makers and after digging I have decided I would like RWL 34 or AEBL.
n690co is on my boar knife, is there much difference in the other 2 steels?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
N690 is from my experience, is a good throw around steel, but always found it lacking in edge retention and getting that hair whittling edge.

RWL34 / CPM154, is a balanced steel, think of it as a stainless version of O1, takes an edge really well, holds it for a while, but really easy to touch up and get back to that hair whittling edge again.

I have no experience with AEB-L, but I believe it is the same as 13c26, of which I do have. I experience of 13c26 and 14c28n is again a balanced steel, and very similar to RWL34, but I find loses its edge quicker. I have also experienced chipping of the edge with 13c26.

I would go for RWL34 / 154CM personally out of the listed.

Edit: had a little read of the below link, and confirms my findings and experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murf and CanopySoup

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I have a couple of knives in AEB-L and find them to be excellent - very good edge holding and easy to sharpen. I have not done a side-by-side comparison with the N690 knife I own and it wouldn't be particularly accurate as the blade shapes are noticeably different.

RWL34 is a good, tried and tested stainless option but, thus far, I would say that AEB-L is probably that little bit better.

Of course, a huge amount depends on the blade shape and geometry and how it has been made - those are probably considerations above and beyond the legion types of steel available.

Reactions: CanopySoup

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
AEBL is much better for woodworking knives. Consider AEBL if you are after a scandi grind knife. AEBL takes much sharper edge easier than RWL34 and the edge in AEBL with the same geometry would be much more durable than a edge in RWL34. These two improved aspects (i.e taking keener edge and being more durable) of AEBL over RWL 34 makes it ideal for woodworking scandi grind knives.

You can think of AEBL as the stainless brother of 52100 and if you look at greenwood working community, you will see that 52100 is the prefered steel for top end tool makers.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
There you go, I need to get myself an AEB-L blade. As stated above 52100 is a brilliant tool steel, but if going non stainless, I would consider M2 and M4 tool steels. I have both and vanadis 23 (M3 tool steel), brilliant hard use carvers and bushcraft blade steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE