Sharpening help needed near Leeds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Hello,

I'm looking for someone who can teach me how to sharpen knives on Japanese Waterstones
I've looked at loads of articles and watched as many videos as I can on the net.
I just cant get an razor edge on RWL/34 blade with scandi grind and I was hoping someone can teach me.
I live in Leeds and can travel in a car a reasonable distance and in exchange I can offer either my expertise in Debt/Financial departments, an accompanied overnighter in 30 acres of private woodland about 1 hour drive from Leeds or a few pints in a pub!

I'm 34 have a small family and a reasonably nice person to know!

Either post on here or send me a private message

Regards,

Nicolas

Apr 12, 2010
Where the love is
just a thought, have you tried stropping on a leather belt after the stones?

100 on each side and then 50 alternate strokes should do it.

I dont use water stones and i can slice paper with mine after stropping but not before.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're still stuck in a couple of weeks I should have a free weekend so I'll bob round and we'll make an afternoon of it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
IIRC Japanese waterstones and RWL34 are not a good combination.

Try diamond or for short term success wet and dry mounted on MDF or something, there is some stainless element of the RWL which holds itself to itself more and it nees something else, I use Spyderco stones on RWL and it still takes ages.

Use polishing paste on a strop and you should be good.

Best of luck.

Mosnan

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2008
Leeds
Thanks for the offers of help - i'll try the ideas posted here and get back to you if i still cant get it sharp!

Nicolas

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Hi have you tried a DC4 sharpening stone, if you haven't got 1 you're welcome to pop down to chesterfield and use mine, also if you don't have a strop i can show you how to obtain one from natures larder, and if you do decide to pop down i really don't expect you to give me anything in return, would love to teach someone something for the first time other than my friends.

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi have you tried a DC4 sharpening stone, if you haven't got 1 you're welcome to pop down to chesterfield and use mine, also if you don't have a strop i can show you how to obtain one from natures larder, and if you do decide to pop down i really don't expect you to give me anything in return, would love to teach someone something for the first time other than my friends.

Wow, just the type of guys I'm looking for, wisdom, practice and the willingness to share. Anyone thinking of moving down south.

Whilst I'm on the subject, if anyone is Gatwick bound, I can suggest a way to get free parking. A cab from mine to the airport is about £10 or less. Not got masses of room on our road, but it is quiet and as safe as parking on your own street.

If anyone is interested, PM me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE