Sharpening a spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
help needed!!!

got myself a nice spoon knife from svante djärv, but managed to dull it on an plum wood spoon.

and now i tried to resharpen it for 6 or 7 hours and still didn´t manage to get it more sharp than dull, dull, dull.......

slowely i get prepared to throw it into a corner...

any tips how to sharpen it correctely?

tried sandpaper on a piece of wood, tried the lansky rods, tried it on bank stones..... i seem to sharpen to the edge (says the magic marker) but....

otherwise will be in GB in the last two weeks in september, a week in london and one in cambridgeshire

anyone who could show me the ropes?

greetings from a frustrated austrian

belabear

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
My brothers got the same problem as you. We dont have a clue either. My mum managed to wash it so now its rusty and dull.
Thanks
Jacob

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I don't own any spoon knives yet, but this guy seems to know his onions:

[video=youtube;V0dasPRCdmk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0dasPRCdmk&feature=g-user-u[/video]

Tune in from about 3:40

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep, Ben Orford is a great teacher, his videos are brilliant. I also own one of his spoon knvies and it is also brilliant!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Wow, those Ben Orford videos are the business! My next knife is going to be a spoon knife.. now definitely a Ben Orford one. Top notch :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just ordered one... ;)

my neighbour is rather jealous of mine after I showed him my mediocre spoons and bowls yesterday! lucky for me though, he works in the furniture wood industry so he can get hold of nice off cuts of decent wood! I've only sharpened mine once and I've done hours of carving with it and it's still cutting nicely even on seasoned plumb!

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
OK i´ll give ben´s method another try on the weekend and let my frustration grow a little more ;o)
if there would be any chance of somebody showing me how to do it in september it would be great
cheers
belabear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE