Sharpening a convex grind knife

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
127
0
51
Leeds, England
I am awaiting delivery of a FallKniven F1 laminated stainless knife. It has a convex grind on it which i am sure will be harder to maintain than the flat, single bevel Ben Orford knife WS style knife that I have.

Any tips??

G:
 
In the field it is quite possible to use very fine nail files to strop the edge, the wood gives slightly and keeps the edge in line.

A mouse pad and wet and dry paper works very very well.

My personal fav is to take a rough backed leather belt, put Flitz on it and slack belt strop the edge. This is very good for touch ups and finishing.

To be brutaly honest though, I am very happy with a convex blade profile and a normal V edge bevel.
 
600 is plenty fine, imo. Depends on how polished you want the edge. I typically go down to 400 or 600 though, then strop with the green stuff.
 
Yeah 600 is good for cutting, and i sharpen to about that in field. But at home i like to polish edge as i feel this edge stays sharper for longer
 
Hoodoo is an absolutely genius and so is his sandpaper hone. Okay, now that the ego stroking is completete, here's what I say:

Sometimes I start on a 200 or 250 grit stone

Then I move up to say, a 400

And finish up on a 1000.

Then I strop. And repeat.

And...voila scary sharp!
 
So.. Hyperthetically im too lazy to build a squidgy honer and try and just use my water stones.. I try to rock the blade but being a noobie I just end up sharpening the F1 like a flat blade ..

What would be the outcome.. Still get a good edge or would i ruin it ?
 
I've had great success with a dead-simple version of the Hoodoo Hone. It's for those of us too unskilled or too lazy to get up to much in the shop.

Many hobby stores and even Home Depot stores have a wide selection of precut, prefinished boards. I pick one around two inches wide and 1/4-inch thick. (Plywood boards like this are the best, I think.)

Then I do the math to figure out how long the hone should be to accommodate an even division of a sheet of abrasive. My last one was for the field, and was 5-1/2 inches long (half of an 11-inch long sheet).

I cut the board with a little X-Acto back saw blade. Using an X-Acto knife, I cut the mouse pad (craft stores also sell sheets of thin foam) to width, and 1-1/2 inches shorter than the board.

Finally, I glue the foam to the board using rubber cement.

The cut abrasive strips are held in place with two binder clips. The 3/4-inch bit of bare wood at either end makes the paper fold over the foam just right.

When not in use, the clips hold the paper on the bottom of the board for storage.

Bear
 
tedmagnum said:
So.. Hyperthetically im too lazy to build a squidgy honer and try and just use my water stones.. I try to rock the blade but being a noobie I just end up sharpening the F1 like a flat blade ..

What would be the outcome.. Still get a good edge or would i ruin it ?

Personally, I see not much difference in a full convex edge or one with a tiny secondary bevel.
But then maybe I am only heretic.
 
oetzi said:
Personally, I see not much difference in a full convex edge or one with a tiny secondary bevel.
But then maybe I am only heretic.

There will be no difference in shaving or anything like that, only in chopping or slicing things thicker than the bevel... It is the transition between the bevel and the rest of the blade that causes binding...
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE