Share Your Good Vegetarian Recipes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Sounds good but I think you'll need another name for it. Quesadillos by definition need cheese (queso) Of course if we're talking about lacto-vegetarian you could add the cheese.
I would automatically add the mozzarella, as I love cheese, but of course leaving it out makes it suitable for vegans, or even adding a vegan cheese instead (but I think that might a little far fetched for this forum ;))

~Patrick

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Red beans (kidney beans) and rice. It's usually served with a side of sausage but it's quit good without it also.

Ingredients:
1 each 16 ounce package of dried red beans
Salt & black pepper to taste
Ground cayenne pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon or to taste)
Garlic powder to taste (optional)
1 each 16 ounce can of tomatoes (optional)

Soak dried red beans in water overnight. Drain and place in a large stew pot. Add enough water to cover plus about another inch. Bring to a rapid boil then reduce heat to simmer. Add seasonings (and tomatoes if desired), cover and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour (until beans are tender) checking occasionally and adding hot water if needed. It should produce a rather thick, starchy gravy like broth. Ladle into a bowl and add a dollop of cooked rice and serve with a crusty French roll (or cornbread) Great food for warming up in cold weather!

Tip: adding a small amount of veg oil to the water can help reduce boil overs.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Potato cakes, fried bread, garlic mushrooms, veggie kebabs, fruit kebabs, bannock, french toast, a really cheesy omlette, welsh rarebit, filled pitta breads, falafels.

None of them very special in their own right, but being cooked over a campfire seems to transform them.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I just test drove the HFW recipe for My Tea..

Very nice indeed!! Didn't feel I 'missed' the meat at all!!

Try It.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am so going to try that out! Thanks, ~Patrick

Glad you liked it - the desert apple needs to be stewed into the sauce till it disappears. Its the sweetness you need to combat the chocolate bitterness.

Should have written that originally :eek:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Spam reported

I suppose that seeing the thread title it should have been "non meat based canned food reported"

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I live with my vegetarian girlfriend so I know all about cooking for veggies :) Cooking round the campfire is a little different but I'll give you a few things to think about

Chilli is fantastic - plenty of kidney beans and vegetarian mince if you fancy going the extra hog. Soups - leek and potato is great - just fry up some onion, leek and garlic, chuck in a few potatoes and stock then let simmer for 20-30 mins.
Bannocks are great for serving with most 'wet' dishes like soup.
Tofu is really good but hard to use in the bush as it needs to be kept cold - something for the first nights meal maybe, but definitely not for the second night. It doesn't need any cooking and can be eaten raw so just chuck cubes of it in pasta sauces, soups, chillis before you start simmering and fajitas are good too but if you're not putting it in a sauce then fry it first to get rid of the excess water. Oh, and make sure the packet isn't punctured as you will get water all over your pack. Like I said, something for the first day :)

If you need some more inspiration then I can try and come up with some more stuff. As I said before, cooking for veggies round the campfire can be a little more tricky but it is certainly possible and there are tons of recipes out there.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
British Red,

What, no Quorn????? Not even a smidgin of Tofu???? I fear, without one of these ingredients, you may have not "kicked it up a notch"!:lmao::) :lmao:

ATB,

Gordy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
even the simple stuff is tasty corn on the cob roasted, jacket potatoes and jacket sweet potatoes. Kebabs of peppers onions mushrooms then put into pitta breads with cream cheese and one of my old favourites was baked leeks with an egg cracked in with black pepper...

also bannock breads made with raisins in it are tasty but i also agree you cant beat a good vegetable curry made with pataks vindaloo paste mixed fifty fifty with a carton of passata

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red,

What, no Quorn????? Not even a smidgin of Tofu???? I fear, without one of these ingredients, you may have not "kicked it up a notch"!:lmao::) :lmao:

ATB,

Gordy

I've never understood of making vegetables pretend to be meat. Why not just learn to cook veg? :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nettle saag, if you can get or make succesfully saag paneer.
fry chopped onion with various indian spices or vindaloo/kashermi masala, add one cup of nettle tops, with two cups other greens suggest spinach. cover with water, cook until pureed. add grilled paneer/tofu. eat with chapati or pitta or tortilla.

I eat meat but I will use TVP for long trips in the summer. it is pretty rank as a food source, unless mixed with some strong tasting other stuff.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Being as we're in the midst of Holiday meals (for us over here; Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year) this one came to mind (it's a traditional side dish here over the holidays):

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:

-2 cans (25 ounce cans) of green beans
-1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
-1 can of french fried onion rings
-Salt & pepper to taste

Reserve enough of the onion rings for a topping and stir the remaining ingredients together (do not dilute the condensed soup) Next pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with the reserved onion rings then bake heated through and crusted on top (about 30 minutes at 350f degrees)

Obviously this can be made much, much better if you use home made ingreients rather than canned but the original recipe here started from one found on one of the canned ingredients back in the 1940s or 50s (Cambell's Condensed Soup) And if you make it from home made ingredients remember to make mushroom gravy rather than mushroom soup. Also if making from home made, you can use Gluten Free ingredients to make the onion ring batter and gravy making the dish suitable for Celiacs (as we did for my daughter)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE