Shangri-La 3 versus Luxe Mini Peak: which to choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Stop confusing me! Well I have a DD tarp which has served me through thick and thin. What is the benefit of the Trailstar?

Thanks for the link by the way. I love those pics. So serene.

The more I look at the Trailstar the more I like it. I love my DD but the Trailstar is lighter with more pitching options. If money were no object I'd buy the silnylon version tomorrow.

:lmao:I do apologise! It's not an easy choice you're having to make though.

A couple more links to help you decide/confuse you further:

Thread re the mini peak 2 here.

Have you seen the Sil mini peak?

Excellent Trailstar review

Great write up here featuring the Scarp in some inclement weather.

As for the Trailstar, If you're used to tarping the Trailstar may suit you well, it goes up in no time at all, can be pitched at different heights, handles the wind like nothing else i've ever used and I guess one big advantage over the others here is the weight (no inner etc), around 600g. Disadvantages compared to the other options you're looking at would be the cost, especially as it doesn't come with any kind of inner/floor (and they're not cheap), less headroom than the luxe or SL3, plus there is the open door so you can't really shut yourself in.

1.3kg seems heavy to me for such a small shelter. thats about the same my SL5 with pole (outer only).

Just had a look and the Scarp is about 1.3kg, the luxe 1.48kg, and the SL3 1.97kg (inc all the inners etc), I think the Scarp can be used fly only like the other shelters/tents mentioned so that would drop the weight a little for trips where you didn't think the inner would be needed. I've read nothing but good about the Scarp 1, if I was looking for a single person tent-tent the Scarp would be the one I'd have... I think!

Not to side track this thread but have you used the SL5 much? Tempting for me and the Mrs :) Just wondered if it remains stable in the breeze due to it's larger size?

Matt

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
:lmao:I do apologise! It's not an easy choice you're having to make though.

A couple more links to help you decide/confuse you further:

Thread re the mini peak 2 here.

Have you seen the Sil mini peak?

Excellent Trailstar review

Great write up here featuring the Scarp in some inclement weather.

As for the Trailstar, If you're used to tarping the Trailstar may suit you well, it goes up in no time at all, can be pitched at different heights, handles the wind like nothing else i've ever used and I guess one big advantage over the others here is the weight (no inner etc), around 600g. Disadvantages compared to the other options you're looking at would be the cost, especially as it doesn't come with any kind of inner/floor (and they're not cheap), less headroom than the luxe or SL3, plus there is the open door so you can't really shut yourself in.

Just had a look and the Scarp is about 1.3kg, the luxe 1.48kg, and the SL3 1.97kg (inc all the inners etc), I think the Scarp can be used fly only like the other shelters/tents mentioned so that would drop the weight a little for trips where you didn't think the inner would be needed. I've read nothing but good about the Scarp 1, if I was looking for a single person tent-tent the Scarp would be the one I'd have... I think!

Not to side track this thread but have you used the SL5 much? Tempting for me and the Mrs :) Just wondered if it remains stable in the breeze due to it's larger size?

Matt

Matt, thanks so much for the additional info/confusers! I was laying in bed last night thinking about things and decided that as I often hike and camp with friends it might be worth going for the Luxe Mini Peak as it sleeps two. I'm also hoping to persuade my new girlfriend to come camping which would mean sharing a tent.

The Scarp Tent wouldn't offer that option. I'll have to save my pennies for that. Taking the Mini Peak means being able to split the outer and inner between us for extra weight savings per ruck sack. I already have a DD tarp so as much as my heart lusts for a Trailstar I can't really justify it and the weight saving is negligible.

I think I've just about made up my mind now...

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I finally bought and used the Mini Peak II last weekend on a paddle and camp along the River Wye from Mordiford to Ross-on-Wye. Two nights including rain on the second night and the tent was excellent. I've used a very basic DD tarp for the last five years but finally caved in and bought the MPII ahead of a trip to Corsica to tackle the GR20. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to my trusty tarp after using the MPII. It is easier to erect. So easy I could smugly offer my fellow campers a hand because it was up in less than five minutes while they were still struggling to thread telescopic poles through bits of tent. An outward bound instructor who is a rep from Cotswold Outdoor came over to inspect it which made me swell with pride. She was impressed at the design.

I had bags of space in the porch for my kit and the inner nest is big enough for my large Neo Air mattress with room to spare. I've always struggled to sleep well using my tarp. With the MPII it became apparent it was for psychological reasons. For a big softy like me being exposed to the elements filled my sleep with uneasiness. With a zipped inner between me and the world I could rest easier. Silly I know.

For £120 I think I've got a bargain. I bought it from Backpackinglight.co.uk. Ordered before 1pm on the Tuesday, arrived on the Wednesday (with a packet of wine gums). I'll let you all know how the GR20 goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE