Sewing kit

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Having made a few moleskine covers with varying success I wanted to try something different and smaller. After a recent incident whilst away with work it came to me, a sewing kit. It's a little over engineered and heavy duty for what it is but it was fun to make and cast my mind back to the days of a make and mend when it wasn't spent in a pub in Pompey or Guzz.

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

It measures 130mm x 55mm. I have about 5 needles in it pretty heavy duty, linen thread, black and brown and I have some waxed dental floss in for particularly hardy sewing.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A much underrated part of an outdoor man's equipment.

Possibly the most underrated piece of outdoor equipment. :)

Nice work SCOMAN, you should maybe add a small ball of woolen yarn for darning
your socks or woolen thermals if you use them.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Possibly the most underrated piece of outdoor equipment. :)

Nice work SCOMAN, you should maybe add a small ball of woolen yarn for darning
your socks or woolen thermals if you use them.

Yes it's noticeable that most people either don't carry one or keep it tucked away these days, in many cultures it was so important that it became a treasured item.

Antler_Needlecase.jpg
Bog_Oak_Awl.jpg

This is based on a Saami kit.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Yes it's noticeable that most people either don't carry one or keep it tucked away these days, in many cultures it was so important that it became a treasured item.

Those are lovely. :)

This one belongs to my wife.
sami_sewing_kit.png

In Nessmuk's 'Woodcraft and Camping' he describes his ditty bag sewing kit...

"...three darning needles and a few common sewing needles; a dozen buttons; sewing silk; thread, and a small ball of strong yarn for darning socks; sticking salve; a bit of shoemaker's wax..."

...and Horace Kephart mentions his "pocket repair kit' in 'Camping and Woodcraft'.

"...fitted into a quite small wallet. A pair of tiny, sharp-pointed scissors for trimming dressings, rigging tackle, and so on; pointed tweezers that can be used as dressing forceps, to remove splinters, and in manipulating gut for flies or leaders; some dental floss for emergency repairs on rods and the like; some I-inch adhesive plaster; a needle or two, waxed linen thread on card, spare buttons, safety pins; one or two large rubber bands; a spare shoe lace; some strong twine; two feet of copper snare wire..."

:)

Last edited:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have been one the lookout for a Sami sewing kit for a while, any ideas where I gan get one from?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I don't know about Sandbenders but it is a beauty..."

It is antler and all the way from snowy Sweden. :)

For long distance trips this is the sewing kit that comes with me...
sewing_kit.jpg

It contains...

- a thimble.
- several needles in several sizes.
- some buttons.
- a reel of strong linen thread.
- a couple of scalpel blades
- a needle threader (makes life easier if one is cold and wet).
- a short length of wire.
- white thread wound around a headless matchstick and wrapped in clingfilm.
- woolen yarn wound around a headless matchstick and wrapped in clingfilm.
- some gaffa tape.

Or for a more basic kit, two meters of waxed cord and a needle both sealed in a plastic straw to keep them clean and dry.

needle.jpg

needle-1.jpg

Last edited:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I've been thinking about the Scandinavian kits for a while now and I'm very tempted to make one, just need to get some bone first... hello local butcher!

I have a material one I made a while ago. It's not pretty but it does the job, it's also big enough to stop getting lost, I'm awful for losing things.

Wayland's kit is beautiful in piccies but in real life it is stunning, which in turn makes me want one even more lol!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You are looking at a culture that is often described as "bone age" because they favoured the materials that they had available, rather than trading for expensive metal.

Add to the reason given above that they preferred to hang things on their belts where they were readily available rather than use pockets and you have a good part of your answer.

Crank Cuffin

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2005
Bognor Regis

Antler_Needlecase.jpg
Bog_Oak_Awl.jpg

This is based on a Saami kit.

That is a lovely selection of beautiful and useful kit.
Could we see more of the belt please? ....... I can feel another project coming on :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE