Settlers Wrench / Scotch Auger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think suggesting a knife would be just as good for making the pegs is trivialising the wooden building craft. The accuracy needed to make the pegs be able to be fitted but season so that the joint is tight, and then repeatedly do it for hundreds of pegs in a timber frame building is not something that could easily be done with a knife.

However, I live in a C16 barn and the hundreds of pegs in here are consistently 8-faced which I suspect allowed them to be tight when driven in (on the corners) then season more tightly later. But, this is in Oak not Pine; other woods may need different pegs.

Nice tool for building camp furniture and the like though; I'd be interested in a GB if a sensibly priced source was found.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think suggesting a knife would be just as good for making the pegs is trivialising the wooden building craft. The accuracy needed to make the pegs be able to be fitted but season so that the joint is tight, and then repeatedly do it for hundreds of pegs in a timber frame building is not something that could easily be done with a knife.

However, I live in a C16 barn and the hundreds of pegs in here are consistently 8-faced which I suspect allowed them to be tight when driven in (on the corners) then season more tightly later. But, this is in Oak not Pine; other woods may need different pegs.

Nice tool for building camp furniture and the like though; I'd be interested in a GB if a sensibly priced source was found.

Sorry, can't respond to this as it wouldn't be about the GB. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There is a difference in loads if the pegs are just keeping the log wall straight or carrying other loads when connecting beams at ends. That probably will reflect on the shape and material of the pegs.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Is it only me that thinks the auger bit needs to be longer? It would only go through plank like materials at that length. I think I would want something capable of going through an 8" log.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ah, then what is it's main purpose? Even the beams in our barn are thicker than the tool in the photo looks long.

Have a look at the video in post 15.
It’s for making tenons on the end of poles and holes for them to sit in not for making pegs to pin separate mortise and tenons together.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have a look at the video in post 15.
It’s for making tenons on the end of poles and holes for them to sit in not for making pegs to pin separate mortise and tenons together.

Sorry, yes I was watching the video as you responded - all makes sense now :)

Two thoughts though:

1) if it was longer it could be used for 'through' holes where a wedge is added to tighten the joint
2) yep, a knife would probably be quicker and easier :)

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So far so good, you have a hole and an end of a peg that fits the hole. What are you going to do with those, legs for benches? My imagination is kind of sleepy tonight.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I make greenwood chairs using tenon cutters fitted to my cordless drill and matching augers. The tenon cutter is like a big pencil sharpener but thickens at the base. The spindle part is a tight fit so when you drive them in and the the base bites they stay in place without glue etc. However, as they dry you have to tap them a bit further in sometimes.

Occasionally, for a piece I want to last, I'll put a wedge in from the other side.

You could do exactly the same with this kit by carving a taper on the base of the spindle.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
So for making benches and chairs, where does the "settler" come in I guess I am mainly wondering about that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE