Serrations yes or no

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Would you choose serrations on one of the blades?

• Yes

Votes: 35 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 291 84.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Opinels sounds good, I'll try to get a look at some online. Are the Stanley knives what we call "Box-cutters"? A small knife which uses replaceable razor blades with one end of the blade sticking out the end when extended and the blade covered when retracted? I was under the impression (from other threads) that lock-blades were basiclay considered to be "fixed blades" and either was legal if you had a good excuse. I also gathered (again from other threads) that bushcrafting would normally be considered a "good excuse." If that's not true it's a pity because personally I just think they're safer.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kind of. Stanley knife blades are double ended with notches that fix them inside a screw together metal handle. More modern ones have retractable blades. Used for everything from cutting lino and carpets to stripping wires.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?f...=P&gclid=CL_J09P16aYCFUeApAodtSK57g&source=aw

For an everyday carry, i.e. a pocket knife, a sub 3" non locking folder is considered suitable in most situations. Don't take it to a gig, or into a pub on a Saturday night kind of thing, regardless of how 'legal' it is.
To carry any knife, for any sound *good* reason is acceptable, but *just because* isn't, iimmc.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's kinda that way here too. Different States are slightly different but Florida defines legal as "an ordinary pocketknife" or a knife "normally used for" whatever activity; i.e. a machete would be appropriate for bush clearing or exploring the swamps, a filleting knife would be appropriate for fishing, etc. It's meant to be applied with common sense but during my time as a cop I usually saw the vagueness used as an excuse to make an arrest. Meanwhile the gangs carried hammers and such to avoid hassle. Hopefully one day common sense will return. Even better would be if people simply quit misusing them and we wouldn't need such laws. I'm daydreaming though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maybe, but we'd agree with you :D

Stanley knives are horrible things in a fight; they howk out a chunk of flesh and leave horrendous scars.

Our youth don't carry guns, but there's a problem with knives, or at least there is a perception of restriction being the solutions to a problem with knife crime. Certainly the statistics are very much more knife crime than any other kind of assault among young men :( Makes for problems with youngsters interested in this bushcrafting stuff, at times.

cheers,
Toddy

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Thumbs up for a good Mora knife - cheap as chips, well made, reasonably robust (I've not had one break yet), variety of colours to match your wardrobe (joking!!). I do get paranoid sometimes with the expensive knives I have so my Mora is the star blade for all occasions - why else is the straight carbon edge of a Mora preferred as a first bushcraft knife by so many training courses?

I used to go for the 50/50 edge - best of both worlds I thought, but I now swing to the straight and sharp side. As has been said - keep it proper sharp and it will cut.

I do keep one serrated blade for out in the canoe - a quick rip through line or other entanglements is useful (especially if responsible for others). Good for that but not much else.

kawasemi

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If as we believe (Stanley knives and box-cutters are essentially the same knife) then it pays to remember that was the weapon of choice for the hijackers on the flights in 2001. I agree restriction isn't the answer. It WOULD work perfectly IF we could figure out a way to get violent criminals to obey the restrictions like the rest of us.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Unfortunatly lawmakers always miss one small detail,
People who break the law, tend not to be law abiding, so making a knife illegal with a new law will have limited practical value.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unfortunatly lawmakers always miss one small detail,
People who break the law, tend not to be law abiding, so making a knife illegal with a new law will have limited practical value.

Amen. But it's not just the lawmakers; their constituants tend to miss that too.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Santaman, I have a Buck 110 as well and I find it to be an excellent and extremely robust knife. I like it a lot, but having said that, I also have a Gerber "Gator" (first version) and I prefer to carry it because it is also a fairly good sized and robust knife as well, but has a much more comfortable (albeit not as pretty) handle and is much lighter. Wouldn't want to part with either one of them but if push came to shove I would keep the "gator."

Coincidently, while walking along a river bank, I spied the Buck laying in the sand. I have no idea how long it had been laying there, but the only thing wrong with it was the brass bolsters were in need of a bit of polish and a good cleaning. Everything else was fine. To top it all off, when I got home I rummaged through a box of knife sheaths that I had bought at a garage sale and lo and behold there was a nylon sheath with Buck written on it that was an exact perfect fit. Some days everything just goes right.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, I have a Buck 110 as well and I find it to be an excellent and extremely robust knife. I like it a lot, but having said that, I also have a Gerber "Gator" (first version) and I prefer to carry it because it is also a fairly good sized and robust knife as well, but has a much more comfortable (albeit not as pretty) handle and is much lighter. Wouldn't want to part with either one of them but if push came to shove I would keep the "gator."

Coincidently, while walking along a river bank, I spied the Buck laying in the sand. I have no idea how long it had been laying there, but the only thing wrong with it was the brass bolsters were in need of a bit of polish and a good cleaning. Everything else was fine. To top it all off, when I got home I rummaged through a box of knife sheaths that I had bought at a garage sale and lo and behold there was a nylon sheath with Buck written on it that was an exact perfect fit. Some days everything just goes right.

Gerber makes great knives too. Congradulations on your good luck!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I think coldsteel make the best serrated knives. A friend of mine has the super edge and its a mean little thing.. Bushman all the way for all rounder blade. Using it as a spear is a bonus

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I love serrations, I have them on all my handsaws, bowsaws, laplander & the breadknife and a couple of others in the Kitchen.

Hate them on a knife though, except the Spyderco Atlantic I have which lives on my PFD which I hope never gets used. Just don't get it for anything other than a rescue/rope knife, even on such as my charges where a second serrated blade is provided - it never gets used. I understand the reasoning and even why other users would like them but not for me and besides I can't get my brain around sharpening one!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I personally dislike them and find them annoying on anything other than my bread knife. Probably wouldn't mind a decent serated edge if it wasn't always in the sweet spot of the blade and maybe on the back of a larger knife. Anyone else feel like this?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE