Serrations yes or no

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Would you choose serrations on one of the blades?

• Yes

Votes: 35 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 291 84.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I posted unsure because I'd always assumed, like most on here, that serrations were unnecessary if a knife was kept properly sharp.

However, I've just swapped into my collection a spyderco rescue knife, which i have to say is a wicked cutting tool. If I had to cut my collection down to only 2 knives, one would be a cert (my Fallkniven F1) as a superb all rounder, but the second would be a difficult choice. The serrated Spyderco would certainly be right up there.

Hmmm tricky!

Dom.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i voted no, because 'NO...NEVER, not if it was the last knife on the planet. i absolutely hate serrations' wasnt an alternative.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I keep a knife on me while diving, has a blunt tip, straight edge on one side and partial serrated on the other, the only times I've had to use it is getting snagged on fishing line, I was very thankful! I've also got a CRKT KISS which has a semi serrated edge, this just lives in my toolbox as I find the serrations are great for wire stripping!

I suppose it comes down to how you're going to use your knife, the two I have with serrations are both piratical and justifiable

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I keep a knife on me while diving, has a blunt tip, straight edge on one side and partial serrated on the other, the only times I've had to use it is getting snagged on fishing line, I was very thankful! I've also got a CRKT KISS which has a semi serrated edge, this just lives in my toolbox as I find the serrations are great for wire stripping!

I suppose it comes down to how you're going to use your knife, the two I have with serrations are both piratical and justifiable

Aaaar - them pirates was always practical folks! :D

Oct 10, 2010
Cornwall. UK
I have owned a gerber prodigy for a good time now to give it tests, and ive found that the gerber is as easy to use as my long gone mora for woodscraft like carving cutting and battoning

Some people find them hard to sharpen but i find that when they get a bit blunt i give them a quick sharpen on my lansky multi-sharpener

thanks for reading
Dan

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Brian

Let me start by stating an assumption.

I assume you are talking about serrations on an outdoor knife (after all, IMO they do have a place on a bread knife for the kitchen :D )

Bearing in mind the above assumption, I registered a vote of no.

Why?

After well & truly over 30 years of life outdoors, I haven't used a knife with serrations & somehow managed to get by.

So I really can't see me including one in a only two knife scenario (unless off course we are taking about using it in the kitchen to slice bread :D ).

Kind regards
Mick :D

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
The only knife I have with serrations is my pezl survival knife which I keep on a karabiner attatched to my rope bag, and only use as a safety backup when climbing. All other knives I avoid serrations on as I feel a well kept straight edge performs everything I need

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Not a big fan of serrations. They are a swine to sharpen (even if they do hold an edge well) and if you have a good sharp knife I dont think serrations prove that much more effective in cutting many things.

I certainly agree with you John!

Theo

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
G'day Brian

Let me start by stating an assumption.

I assume you are talking about serrations on an outdoor knife (after all, IMO they do have a place on a bread knife for the kitchen :D )

Bearing in mind the above assumption, I registered a vote of no.

Why?

After well & truly over 30 years of life outdoors, I haven't used a knife with serrations & somehow managed to get by.

So I really can't see me including one in a only two knife scenario (unless off course we are taking about using it in the kitchen to slice bread :D ).

Kind regards
Mick :D

I often cut my bread with a plain edged knife (originally made as a bushy but now relegated to kitchen duties) cuts real bread realy well - better than our serrated bread-knife!
It is rubbish on bread that comes in polybags though!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For me serrations serve no "real" purpose that a sharp plain blade doesn't. I think they're put on knives to make the look "tacticool", you hardly ever see them on a working knife, only military style...

I don't like them but!!!! They are on almost EVERY modern working pocketkbife made today, at least as an option. Don't believe it? Check the websites for all the companies that make "working" blade for toolboxes: Gerber, Buck, Schrade. Only the sportsman's or outdoor related knives don't have serrations. Most working men are uaually cutting plastic, cardboard or building materials such as carpetting, etc. and thinkm of their knives as just another tool (one of there less important and consumable tools) so they don't really have time or inclination to sharpen them; just throw them in the toolbox, pull them out for the next use and repeat for a year or so then replace it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No wire hangers! No serrated knives!!!!

I have a spyderco with a totally serrated blade and I find it virtually worthless for use as a general purpose knife. I would defy anyone to carve out something with it. Unless of course you are "into" deep grooves in everything you carve.

I don't like serrated blades but if I were to choose 2 blades for the rest of my life I don't think carving ability would influence that choice.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's interesting to note where serations originated and what developed next. Man first discovered that by knapping (serating) flint he could make sharp cutting edges; knives and arrowheads. Later he discovered metal and no longer serated his edges as he could now sharpen them without serations. Much later after the industrial revolution he again began serating his cutting edges for things like bread knives and steak knives. In the latter part of the twentieth century he began to serate the blades on his knives meant for rougher uses (toolbox knives) because men no longer had time or skill caring for their knives and the blades were semi disposable due to cost anyway. In short, it made more sense to spend 20 minutes at a job he enjoed for $10-$20/hour than to spend that same time sharpening a knife he could replace for $25 every year. Those of us that still appreciate craftsmanship, pride in our tools (knives) don't agree with this philosophy but you have to admit the simple economic truth.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Not as a rule although they are handy if you're doing a lot of ropework, particularly with big ropes, but then a hacksaw is even better (the ultimate serrated blade?).

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A few years back my wife bought a sailing barge in Holland and hired a professional delivery skipper to help bring it back (we went along as crew).

He sailed many 1000s of miles a year and was a top chap.

The first thing he did when he came aboard was to take a cheap £2 kitchen knife, stick the blade down some hosepipe and stow it near the mast. He explained that he'd found nothing cut rope as fast as the thin cheap veg knives, and being so cheap you wouldn't hesitate to use it (where you might hesitate when cutting down onto metal with an expensive blade).

Sure, he carried a decent sailing knife on his belt as well, but for immediate rough use, the £2 supermarket veg knife was the tool for the job.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't like them but!!!! They are on almost EVERY modern working pocketkbife made today, at least as an option. Don't believe it? Check the websites for all the companies that make "working" blade for toolboxes: Gerber, Buck, Schrade. Only the sportsman's or outdoor related knives don't have serrations. Most working men are uaually cutting plastic, cardboard or building materials such as carpetting, etc. and thinkm of their knives as just another tool (one of there less important and consumable tools) so they don't really have time or inclination to sharpen them; just throw them in the toolbox, pull them out for the next use and repeat for a year or so then replace it.

I think this might be a cultural difference showing up.
Most small at hand working blades for tradesmen here, are of the Stanley knife variety. They come plain and hooked, and I don't think I've ever seen a serrated one. They are just simple sharp disposable cutting blades. There must be at least one in every tool box in the land.

I did once have a saw blade for one though. Daftest piece of soft coprolite ever thought up. It wobbled itself free of the screw three times out of four.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You might be right about the cultural difference. Very few tradesmen here buy knives specificaly designed for tradesmen. When I was a teenager (we won't discuss how long ago that was) there were special "electrician's" knives with a blunt tipped blade meant double as a screwdriver and of course the Exacto knives and Hawkbill knives. As a general rule though I don't remember anyone using them even back then. Wharehousemen always seemed to have "box cutters" with changeable, disposable razor blades (still do) while everyone else carried some sort of pocketknife or lock-blade. In fact the first model that was almost universal here was the Buck 110 Hunter (a lock-blade). It surprised Buck (quite happily) that workmen preferred them even more than hunters. Now they all seem to prefer the cheaper serated pocket knives with a pocket clip. Personally I depise them; although I do still have an affinity for the Buck 110! (It doesn't even have an option for a serrated blade. IMHO it's the closest to a "Do Everything Knife" for an average guy (not for an extended wilderness expedition mind you) I think the lock-blade feature makes such knives inherently safer. It has served me quite well at work, hunting, fishing, camping, canoeing, on horseback, etc; it is light and compact enough to never get in the way or be burdensome or austintacious in public. I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. In fact as I think I said, I prefer non-serrated. It's just that I do understand why others don't agree. After all, most of us on this thread are knife afficianados or we wouldn't be here. Not everyone who uses a knife fits into that category.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a fan of buck knives; seen more than one snap. Wouldn't even consider one for anything I had to rely on tbh.

Opinels have a big following among the pocket knife users though. Most of my friends are traditional craftsfolks, archaeologists, or involved in outdoors leisure, and they seem to prefer those. Joiners, carpetfitters, electricians, plumbers and other tradesmen that I know use Stanley knives.

Fishermen seem to use the Frost Moras to great success, though I know at least one who uses a Spyderco at sea on a pretty much daily basis.

Lots of leatherman's and it's clones around as well.

Innocuous and inoffensive really matters.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lots of Leatherman cropping up here too. Never seen a Stanley knife or ever heard of Opinels. Carried the Buck for years while on the flightline. Actually used it for a bucking bar once to drive rivets and never had it fail me. I've got to admit that was painful though! Popular knives here for fisherman wanting a specialized knife are the various thin bladed filleting knives (like a really flexible, long bladed boning knife) especially the ones made by Rapala. In fact the Cajuns usually keep one hanging (in their sheaths) by the kitchen sink. Oddly enough though that's the recreational fishermen not the proffesionals. All of them UNSERATED of course. Most of the workmen I know (and some of the trades I've tried before enlisting) are electricians, plumbers, loggers, auto mechanics and aircraft mechanics and farmers/ranchers.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah Opinels are a perennial favourite for a lot of folks. Simple, easy sharpened, keep a good edge, and now kind of illegal edc because they have a locking ring :sigh: French made. Wide range. My husband uses the mushrooming one mostly.

Stanley knives are just comfortable to use with easily replaceable blades. Toolbox knives kind of thing.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE