Serious bushcraft picture competition thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Who put up your favorite picture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
heres a few of my first ever ones
sunset.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

enjoy
leon

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
I found this perfectly dry place in a wet, dripping N. Scotland forest. And exactly my size too :) The space was formed by a tree that had toppled over an edge so that the flat root system had closed up a horizontal ledge. The sun shone into it during the mornings and dried the sand even further.
It was my home for four days during a weeklong trip with Extra Survival in September 2005...

my_den.jpg

Anneke

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Now :D

There’s quite a few photos in this thread so I thought we’d narrow things down a little buy polling the names of those that have posted first and then we’ll narrow it down to the pictures. We’ll leave this for a while and then I’ll change the poll to represent the pictures based on the most popular in the poll

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tony said:
Now :D

There’s quite a few photos in this thread so I thought we’d narrow things down a little buy polling the names of those that have posted first and then we’ll narrow it down to the pictures. We’ll leave this for a while and then I’ll change the poll to represent the pictures based on the most popular in the poll

Methinks this is going to be a one horse race.....and deservedly so....

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would have voted for one of mine but the one wayland posted was very good indeed...

Wayland - was this taken by your good self? can you tell us what it was taken with (hardwear, settings etc)? mine never seem to come together like that.

Cheers,

Joe

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Joe.

Yes I did take the shot, the camera was on a tripod with a timer.

I use digital these days. The camera was a Canon D5 with a 17-40 mm lens somewhere at the wide end. ( 21mm it says in the exif data. )

Exposure was 1.3 seconds at f22 to blur the water, no flash, iso 100.

I shoot raw files and convert to 16 bit files for editing, this was converted to two frames and recombined for a high dynamic range in Photoshop otherwise it is not changed in any major way.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:240: Congratulations Gary :240: (Wayland), it looks like you won this one fair and square :You_Rock_

I'll send your details off to Bushcraft Expeditions and they can sort out the workshop with you.

Fantastic Photo :D

Thanks all for taking part, we has some splendid photos to look at and thank to all that took the time to vote :You_Rock_

Jan 29, 2007
SWEDEN
www.jlw.se
Gah!

I must just ask. Have he set a fire on a cliff? That is not allowed here in Sweden. It destroys the cliff, make cracks and such. And leave trails for a very, very long time. But its maybe just looks like that. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
blodsugare said:
Gah!

I must just ask. Have he set a fire on a cliff? That is not allowed here in Sweden. It destroys the cliff, make cracks and such. And leave trails for a very, very long time. But its maybe just looks like that. :)

Fair question. :)

The fire is on a small prepared bed of river sand on top of the rock.

The rock was chosen because it obviously lies under the water when the river is in spate and the fire was quite small. It looks far larger than it was due to the perspective of the 17mm lens.

When the fire burned down, the ash, a few small bits of charcoal and the river sand was all brushed into the water which was already full of rock flour from glaciation upstream.

The wood, including the piece the pot is hanging from, was all driftwood collected from the high water line up and down stream for no more than twenty metres.

When cleared up, It was hard to tell anyone had been there at all. The main sign being the lack of dry driftwood.

I hope this answers the question to your satisfaction. As a landscape photographer I too value the appearance of the locations I use and more often than not, leave them cleaner than when I arrive.

Jan 29, 2007
SWEDEN
www.jlw.se
What a fast, and great answer. :) There is nothing worse when I see young ppl who making Biig fire on cliffs that are great for sun bathing.

:You_Rock_

Wayland said:
Fair question. :)

The fire is on a small prepared bed of river sand on top of the rock.

The rock was chosen because it obviously lies under the water when the river is in spate and the fire was quite small. It looks far larger than it was due to the perspective of the 17mm lens.

When the fire burned down, the ash, a few small bits of charcoal and the river sand was all brushed into the water which was already full of rock flour from glaciation upstream.

The wood, including the piece the pot is hanging from, was all driftwood collected from the high water line up and down stream for no more than twenty metres.

When cleared up, It was hard to tell anyone had been there at all. The main sign being the lack of dry driftwood.

I hope this answers the question to your satisfaction. As a landscape photographer I too value the appearance of the locations I use and more often than not, leave them cleaner than when I arrive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE