Sennybridge (again)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had great four days away with Nigel at our spot near Sennybridge, the weather was very kind to us and Thursday it was very warm. Chinook helicopters were flying the area at tree top level as were Eurofighters, lots of noise from them.

Been using the site for a few years now but never seen this growing before

Arum Maculatum, goes by lots of other names too 'Lords and Ladies' 'Starch Plant' et al. Poison berries the the tuba root is packed with starch so a good 'wild food'

Mix of old and new for cooking

The O2 3G signal has been boosted so getting online was very easy and it was nice to watch 'Alone in the wilderness' on the Android tablet (and Sniper, Game of Thrones)

Raised the parayurt's height and used some Aluminium flexible ducting as a stop gap until I buy a couple of new sections for the wood (coal only this trip) burner.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nigel is a great fella to know and to camp with. He knows his stuff and I was surprised nobody took him up on his offer of some hiking in the Beacons area, you would learn some good navigation and general bushcrafts skill off the guy. I can't hike anymore due to lung problems but if you get the chance to meet him it'll be a good trip I'm sure.

The Butane adaptor worked fine on the stoves but sluggish in the cool of morning (as does all butane) but lanterns worked fine, they only need a dribble of gas and the down heat from the lantern keeps the gas flowing.

I took http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9275070.htm with me and it easily lit the parayurt, two full nights on 4xAA batteries...I bought maybe 2l of liquid fuel home with me I'd normally have used.

The little Primus 210 though is a great classic stove and you can pick them up on ebay for not a lot of coin...put one on your xmas list...easy to light, hot burn and good simmer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Rik, Sennybridge always looks like a cosy camp

That's quite a minimal kitchen setup by your usual standards, just the three stoves, surely not? ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In a sheltered spot you can put one (or two) plastic tarps over the top and unless we had unusually high wind and rain that shelter would stay put.

Stoves wise you don't need a lot in fixed camp so something quick to light in the morning for a brew and after that for us its a matter of rotating you collection a bit as you fancy. The wood (coal) burner will do most cooking including our 'Spanish' 10 egg omelette we had one night :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Parayurt" :D, very practical :D

Looks and sounds like a good jaunt :cool: did you see much that caught your eye beyond the lords and ladies ?

Thanks for the photos and report :)

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Usual Burdock, blackberries, sloe, Cob nuts, Acorns, Trout and Salmon when in season at the site Mary.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great trip report Rik, nice to see you getting out. (For "Good Behaviour"?) Looks like fun and a comfortable and civilised set up with an appropriate amount of stovage!

Have you ever processed any 'Lords and Ladies'? Have always been put off by the calcium oxylate crystals in the root which I know you can process out but have never taken the risk. (That and there's only one plant of it that I've found in about a 10 mile radius round here).

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nice 'camping' campout, Rick! Always a great pleasure to see just which stoves you will bring on your campouts. The canopy has a nomadic feel about it. :You_Rock_

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great trip report Rik, nice to see you getting out. (For "Good Behaviour"?) Looks like fun and a comfortable and civilised set up with an appropriate amount of stovage!

Have you ever processed any 'Lords and Ladies'? Have always been put off by the calcium oxylate crystals in the root which I know you can process out but have never taken the risk. (That and there's only one plant of it that I've found in about a 10 mile radius round here).

Nope, Nigel spotted it to be honest. The tuba goes deep on these so will you get more energy from it than used digging it up?

Stove wise I used gas a lot but the little 210 Primus is a lovely stove. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9275070.htm proved a real winner, lit the whole shelter up and as I said before its frugal on batteries and certainly saved a couple of litres of lamp fuel, well worth getting one or similar. My next camp will be based on a Coleman twin burner 413G and all LED lighting. I love my Vapalux/Coleman lanterns but LED lights have really made them redundant for trips apart from cold weather camps where the heat they produce is welcome.

The Android tablet was good also, tethered to my phone we could log on here, got to read the 'Is this Bushcraft' thread before it was thankfully removed I am however very surprised that one of the contributors did not get a ban for his one post which was a personal attack on the OP.

Back there again in October subject to health. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are a super little stove, no doubt about it and is one of the few stoves I'm keeping as I shed my collection. The coffee press is a double walled one which does a good job, another Wilko bargain at £16.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE