Selfmade billycan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teno

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Argentina
Hello all !!! It's me again...the southamerican menace...!

Just a doubt, anyone has any suggestion on attaching a wire handle to a self made billycan ??? Or just punch two holes and put wire??? (K.I.S.S.)

Thanks!!!!

Marcelo, from Argentina

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I just drilled two holes in the sides.
But rather than use wire, I used some chain. The end links you just open out a bit so they can go through the holes to suspend the can over a fire. Or you take the chain off if you want to use the can on a gas stove or hobo stove or whatever.
I prefer a removable handle to a fixed one.

pwb

Have a look at how 'warthog1981' has bolted on some picture hanging loops and made a removable handle in this thread.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36319

Also how I used that same idea for holding a wire type handle in the same thread.(the wire handle being an idea I got from Wayland's hobo stove )
They make a neat alternative to holes. If I were to do it again I would probably use the smaller type hangers ( on right in picture). Would also mean drilling two less holes :) .

DSC01578Small.jpg

Cheers, Pete.

Teno

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2007
Argentina
Mine is much more humble...

Imagen106-780479.jpg

Imagen107-780560.jpg

Imagen111-773303.jpg

Imagen108-749682.jpg

Imagen109-749771.jpg

Imagen112-773457.jpg

Imagen113-780863.jpg

The piece I like more is the mug, I copy from a Ray Mears Walkabout chapter, from an Astralian explorer.

Both cooking cans have olive oil "patina" according to http://www.dirttime.com/coffeecancookware.html and just punch two holes on each and include two pieces of soft wire. That way, I can manage more the way the handle is placed, depending on situation.

BTW, Why oh why, there is no way to buy the SAK Victorinox Farmer in Argentina?

Marcelo, from Argentina

pwb

Now that's a true Hobo type set of billies :cool: .
Taking what's readily available and using your ingenuity to make a working item.
I can see why you like the mug that folding handle is a great idea.

Cheers, Pete.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Depending on size of pot, I use old bicycle spokes, drill holes smaller than the flanged end, then push through from inside, round and then hooked into the other side. In transit and especially with a hobo stove where pot and base are a tight fit, the handle can be stored inside the pot when its packed

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The bail and the ears are aluminum as well, so it didn't add a lot of weight.

puub, the aluminum rivets work a treat. IIRC, I harvested the aluminum rod from some darning or knitting needles. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Have a look at how 'warthog1981' has bolted on some picture hanging loops and made a removable handle in this thread.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36319

Also how I used that same idea for holding a wire type handle in the same thread.(the wire handle being an idea I got from Wayland's hobo stove )
They make a neat alternative to holes. If I were to do it again I would probably use the smaller type hangers ( on right in picture). Would also mean drilling two less holes :) .

DSC01578Small.jpg

Cheers, Pete.

puub, where did you get those hangers?

pwb

puub, where did you get those hangers?

Bought them at Focus a large D.I.Y chain here in the U.K .
They're called picture ring and plate hangers and are plated brass ,I suppose you screw them to wooden picture frames . They come in half dozen packs for a couple of quid.
If you want some and have difficulty finding them give me a shout.

Pete.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Good info! I'll look for them in the hardware. I have a couple more Ti pots I want to convert to billies and those look to be just the ticket. Awhile back I picked up a spool of heavy duty aluminum wire that I can use for the bail. It would be nice if I could find those in aluminum but I'd take brass.

Great idea!

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
Teno those tin can billys are brilliant!

They are on now on my 'to do' list :)

Have you tried them out yet? How are they ?

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
this is mine (top left)

it's a woolwoths tea/coffee/sugar pot in stainless steel that i drilled 2 holes in and used stainless braided wire and choccy block connectors (thanks Wayland for that idea). I use it loads - resting on embers / logs, suspended from green stick, on stove, etc etc.

100_0718.jpg

Dom.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey Landy,

Is the looped wire fastened into barrel connectors from electrical connection blocks? Cool idea - I wondered how to do that without some special crip gear - brilliant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE