self inflating matt question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
does anyone know if there is a self inflating mattress available that comes in a 3/4 length and isn't too wide, but is 5cm thick when inflated? Or at least thicker than 3cm.

Thanks

R3XXY

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
does anyone know if there is a self inflating mattress available that comes in a 3/4 length and isn't too wide, but is 5cm thick when inflated? Or at least thicker than 3cm.

Thanks

R3XXY

Probably one of the best mattresses you can use...this is also one of the best prices out there....

Check this link

Hope it helps..... :)

PS I am after the 9cm PUP DLX (Integrated pump, not bag pump) if anyone knows of a better price than £106 for a 9cm DLX with integrated pump...please PM me

Tom

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
They're awesome Leonidas thank you. Just need to sell off a few bits and boobs now to fund the purchase.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I'm very tempted by the exped downmats/symats - probably going for the synmat. They seem to be all about warmth and comfort (at the expense of a extra weight over thermarest types mats). Surely going for the 3/4 length defeats the point a bit :)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Yeah Beamdune I just wanted a 3/4 length to keep the pack size down, but don't need to with the Downmat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got one of the Exped down mats, with the self inflating pump, and if it died tomorrow I'd go buy another one :D
It's just, well, as good as it gets, really, I reckon :approve:

It packs down pretty small too. Smaller than any roll mat I have or the other self inflating ones. Not 'exactly' lightweight, but for that warm, yeah, it's warm :), comfort, I'll take the weight.

Not cheap :(, worth it though :D

cheers,
Toddy

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
Probably one of the best mattresses you can use
I bought one of these exped mattresses a couple of years back. I got it from a shop in Keswick that had a "bed" of stones. This was the only one that allowed complete comfort on the "river bed." It is also very warm in use. It is not self inflating though. It comes with a waterproof stuffsac that acts as the pump to get it inflated. Excellent piece of kit.

Nigel.

TrashCanMan

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2009
Basingstoke
I have thermarest prolite 4 3/4 air mattress. Four hundred and something grams, packs up really small and very comfortable if you let it inflate itself and not add any puffs of air.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I have a lot of mats. I still have the closed-cell mat and Thermorest mats that the military issued me. Also thicker civilian Thermorests. And two "Ridge-rests" that my wife and I used for a trek across the Andes, and an ultra-light folding mat.

So it took me a long time to talk myself into spending the money for an Exped Downmat 9 DLX. Especially since they're so heavy.

I haven't used anything else since. It's more comfortable than my bed at home.

Oct 21, 2009
Newcastle (UK)
I am looking for a mat for the Arctic trip and am thinking of an Exped DownMat 9 Pump or the DLX version. Any other recommendations? The DLX is 270 grams heavier, so is it worth it? I'm 193cm so I am thinking about the DLX.

DownMat 9 Pump
Size: 183x52x9 cm / 72x20x3.5“
Weight: 980 g / 34.6 oz
Packsack 17 g / 6 oz
Packed: 24x16 cm / 9x6“
Fill Weight**: 250 g / 9 oz
Temperature: -38°C / -36°F

DownMat 9 Pump DLX
Size: 197x65x9 cm / 77.5x26x3.5“
Weight: 1250 g / 44.1 oz
Packsack 24 g / 0.8 oz
Packed: 27x16 cm / 11x6“
Fill Weight**: 320 g / 11 oz
Temperature: -38°C / -36°F

Last edited:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Seriously?

Cirrca 1kg for a sleeping mat??!!! You could get 3 standard foam rollmat for less money and weight, with as good insulation and comfort.

I have a Termarest Prolite 3 and I love it, comfy and warm, but then its only 400g!

Toddy: I have to ask, when you say you'd carry the weight for comfort, do you walk or drive to your camping spot?

Because you add a chair kit on to that (550g, and another £45) and its just not tenable for a hiker unless you go out knowing the tempreature is going to well well below zero.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
anybody know what lamper's on about ?
who mentioned chairs ?
I presume you won't be driving to the arctic McGarley :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a clue about the chair :dunno:

But as to the mat, put it this way, if I could only take a sleeping bag or the mat, the mat would win. I could sleep in my clothes ontop of it and be warm enough.

Depends where I'm going.
Most of the Meets are less than quarter of a mile from the car. If we're walking around we usually just take enough for the day and back to site at night.

I don't do heavyweight packs if I can help it at all. The fact that I would even consider this mat kind of says an awful lot for it.

I said on another thread that my first camps were still of a time when we scraped out hollows for hips and shoulders, and if you were lucky you had a bit of waterproofed cotton to use as a groundsheet. Eventually we got the blow up airbeds that didn't weight as much as a box spring mattress :rolleyes: and then along came the closed cell mats, and we thought they were brilliant :D Then the self inflating ones :cool: and then the downmat :D :approve:
It's been a continual process of improvement, and as the budget has allowed I've bought what I knew I would use.

These days those first quarter inch thick closed cell mats wouldn't even get used to pad camp chairs to block the wind, but if it's what you have you make them work for you.

cheers,
Toddy

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
I think Lamper is talking about the thermorest chair kit it's a set of straps that hold the thermorest and turn it into a sort of chair. never used one but have been thinking about trying it. Does anyone use one and can comment?

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Excuse my ignorance (I have never even seen one of these inflating mats, never mind lie on one), but I have difficulty imagining how you don't just push through straight to the ground if they are only a few cm thick...
Anyway, what is the cheapest available that is worth buying and is it better than a £10 foam roll up? Cheers.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Now (allegedly) the newer, fancier lightweight thermorests don't self inflate that much. Sensible sized (i.e full length and 3-4cm thick) thermorest types aren't actually that light e.g 4cm Alpkit Regular Airic is 1090g, 3cm Slim Airic is 743g.

Real thermorest mats are damned dear too.

I still can't make my mind up about the Exped mats. Defintely getting one, just can't decide about the width, worried the regular narrower one will feel odd (arms dangling off the sides) when I lay on my back. I tried a bunch of mats in go outdoors at the weekend. The (lack of) width of the pads is noticeable on the thicker ones.

The ground feels at lot harder than it used to and my thin mat doesn't really cut it anymore!

Pete Macfarlane, a serious lightweight hiker and gear tester is swayed by the comfort of the standard synmat 7 http://www.petesy.co.uk/?p=187. Similarly loads of hikers over on outdoorsmagic are raving about them.

Edit: Dozza, try Alpkit for good quality, well priced thermorest clones. They are more comfortable than a 10-12mm foam mat, but not much, especially if you are a side sleeper. A decent pillow (improvised or otherwise) has a big part to play if you sleep on your side.

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I think I'd notice an extra 500g a lot less than I'd notice the affects of not having a good night's rest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE