self inflating matt question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excuse my ignorance (I have never even seen one of these inflating mats, never mind lie on one), but I have difficulty imagining how you don't just push through straight to the ground if they are only a few cm thick...
Anyway, what is the cheapest available that is worth buying and is it better than a £10 foam roll up? Cheers.

Think better quality airbed and you'll get a fair idea. No bumps, no lumps, and mine's warm :D

I bought one of the Lidl's ones for well under £20 and apart from it's weight, and that it's only three quarters length, it is excellent value for money. I think Aldi's do them in season too. Yes, it's better than a roll up closed cell mat.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm waiting for one of those down mats,the 7cm.

Need for comfort and warmth of an evening is a priority nowadays.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have to say Mary has this one by the short and curlies excuse my expression.
For Autumn and winter camping the down mats win hands down the extra weight can be offset by reducing the weight of your doss bag in all fairness. The comfort is astounding
and pack size is excellent too.

McGarley ??? is this a new name or is it Bro? either way welcome to the forum matey.

Andy
ps have a good trip

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I don't really get what the down does though in the exped mats? I understand how it works in a sleeping bag - lofting up and trapping lots of air. Doesn't the insulation come from the trapped air, rather than the down itself? Have I got that wrong? If the exped mats are inflated, isn't the down just floating about inside superfluously?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best I can do is from the product specs.

Product Details:

Heat loss is dramatically reduced by using down insulation inside the Exped Downmat 9 Pump, as demonstrated by EMPA, the Swiss Federal Labaratories for Materials Testing and Research, and field tests by expeditions. The thick cushion of air also provides comfort and smooths out uneven ground. And as down compresses extremely well, Downmats packs smaller than other insulated mats.
Features:

• Both low profile valves (pat. pend) one for inflation and the other for deflation ensure ease of use. As the valves are flat and not on the mat‘s edge they do not protrude and are therefore protected and durable.
  • Light foam blocks at the mat‘s ends prevent down from escaping or migrating between chambers.
  • Laminated polyester fabric is both durable, airtight and humidity resistant. The shell‘s top surface is of brushed polyester fabric that provides excellent slip resistance and comfort next to the skin. Dark colors dry quickly. The seams are high frequency welded for durability.
  • Two loops at the head end can be used to secure the packsack to the mat when used as a pillow.
  • Light and warm: The DownMat 7 Pump has a R-Value of 5.9. At about the same weight a standard 2.5 cm selfinflating mat only has a R-Value of 2.5. Further EMPA tests demonstrated that regular mats lose 3x more heat to cold ground than to the air. The conclusion: use a lighter weight sleeping bag with a DownMat to achieve consistent overall comfort, and still reduce weight and bulk!
  • Exped only uses IDFL-certified goose down, specially treated to eliminate the effects of humidity that may reach the mat‘s interior.
Tech details:

Weight: 980g / 35oz

Size: 183x52x9 cm / 72x20x3.5 inches
Packsack: 170 g / 6 oz
Packed: 24x16 cm / 9x
Fill Weight: 250 g / 9 oz
Temperature: -38C / -36F

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Another vote for the Exped down 9dlx
add a Rab Summit 900 down bag , Rab silk liner Traveller (and a Snugpack waterproof bivi to waterproof the outer shell of the Rab) and you'll be sooo toasty you'll smile yourself silly to sleep!
For the chair- the lightest is of course the Thermarest folding one
but if with a vehicle, I prefer the Decathlon £6.50 one - with really short legs so you don't bend over when cooking on the ground

Last edited:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I don't really get what the down does though in the exped mats? I understand how it works in a sleeping bag - lofting up and trapping lots of air. Doesn't the insulation come from the trapped air, rather than the down itself? Have I got that wrong? If the exped mats are inflated, isn't the down just floating about inside superfluously?

The down reduces air flow within the airbed. Without it you would get convection currents set up to rapidly take you body heat into the cold ground. Airbeds (without the down) are notoriously cold to sleep on because of this.

So its doing exactly the same as the down in the sleeping bag, but blowing the mat up is stopping you flattening the air space when you lie on it.

Graham

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Makes sense to me too; I don't much like airbeds as they are indeed cold but I see how some filler could help.
As for £130-worth, I will be spending a tenner on a rolled up bit of Dutch or NATO foamed rubber for my first foray into all this malarky for my course in May...

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I think Lamper is talking about the thermorest chair kit it's a set of straps that hold the thermorest and turn it into a sort of chair. never used one but have been thinking about trying it. Does anyone use one and can comment?

I have one and its great! I don't like to carry things I don't need and I don't NEED a chair, I could sit on the floor or log or rock or something, but this is GOOD weight. Since getting my chair, I not only enjoy the walk there, but I am very relaxed and enjoy the camp after.

Keeps the wind off your back, and cold off your bum. Packs down to about the size of a foot long tube the size of a small smarties sweets box.

Excuse my ignorance (I have never even seen one of these inflating mats, never mind lie on one), but I have difficulty imagining how you don't just push through straight to the ground if they are only a few cm thick...
Anyway, what is the cheapest available that is worth buying and is it better than a £10 foam roll up? Cheers.

Dozza,

I have both a foam mat and a Thermarest and they are great for different reasons.

Foam Mat
  • Weights nothing
  • hard to break
  • cheap

Thermarest
  • Greater insulation
  • more comfort
  • heavier, but not excessive

The Thermarest works buy inflating the foam in size the sleeve. The foam is arranged in a specific pattern to creat big air pocket around it.

When you close the value and lay on top there are is no where for the air to go. No areas like you bum and shoulder blades are heavier so will compress air in the small of you back and under you knees.

Even like this there is a still a small amount under you bum and back so you are off the ground. The sleeve it also lined with reflective material to help retain the warmth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE