Self inflating mats reliable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lauriek

Jan 30, 2012
Kent
Hi!

I'm currently putting together a woodland camping/bug out kit.

I used to have one of those basic foam mats, but I seem to have lost it. I'm considering replacing it with one of these newfangled self inflating mats, mainly for the reduced packed size.

How are they for reliability? I gather they can puncture, some of them even seem to come with puncture repair kits. How easy do they puncture on say tree roots and stuff you get in the woods? Do the repair kits actually work? And are they the same as actual puncture repair kits?

Any advice on brands/models? I'm ideally looking for something as light as possible, though I realise these are all heavier than the old foam mats. I think I'd probably be after a 3/4 length one in the 25-35mm range..

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi!

I used to have one of those basic foam mats, but I seem to have lost it. I'm considering replacing it with one of these newfangled self inflating mats, mainly for the reduced packed size.

How are they for reliability? I gather they can puncture, some of them even seem to come with puncture repair kits. How easy do they puncture on say tree roots and stuff you get in the woods? Do the repair kits actually work? And are they the same as actual puncture repair kits?

Any advice on brands/models? I'm ideally looking for something as light as possible, though I realise these are all heavier than the old foam mats. I think I'd probably be after a 3/4 length one in the 25-35mm range..

They're not really "newfangled". They have been around for many years.

If it's pack size and weight you're concerned with I wouldn't bother with a self inflating as they are quite bulky. I would highly recommend getting a Thermarest NeoAir, either a Xlite or Xtherm. These are real air mattresses and have the best weight/pack size around and are very comfy (If you don't overfill, should be about 70%).

lauriek

Jan 30, 2012
Kent
That was slightly tongue in cheek, they're new to me! =)

Thanks for the suggestion but tbh I'd be even more concerned about punctures with an actual airbed, it seems like that should be more susceptible to punctures?

Whilst I'd like to reduce pack size and I don't want too much weight I'm most concerned about reliability here...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Nah, they're made to high quality and decent material. Plus you shouldn't really be putting mat straight on floor anyway, You should use in conjunction something like a Tyvek ground sheet. Also checking area for any sharp objects before putting it out is good idea ;)

Thermarest are very reliable.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I have a 20 year old Thermarest that is still absolutely fine. I suspect that some of the newer very lightweight ones are less robust and having looked at the cheaper ones recently, they don't look as well put together.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I took the Alpkit full length mat on the Camino De Santiago walk, probably wild camped about 28 days with no problems. I did find the comfort level some nights better than others but it is a quite thin mat. My mate also used a self inflating mat but unsure what make it was and had no trouble either.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like them and use both but have had 2 punctures with mats of good quality both on ground that is always checked. So although use them still go back to the foam rollmat when hillwaking if packing is possible to carry a foam mat.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I was gifted an older model of the Thermarest which I love, although I tend to use it for car camps, whenever I do any long distance walks I always revert back to a foam mat as they don't puncture and I can use it rolled up as a seat for a brew stop.

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
My last Thermarest lasted me 11 years without the slightest fault. Moved onto an Exped Synmat 7 Ultralight this year for extra warmth (more early/late season stuff than normal) and it has been fantastic! Lighter and much smaller pack size than the Thermarest, having just done a camp in easily minus 5 or more and at no point was I cold, the down bag I have helped but it was much better than my old thermarest. The mat is not self inflating though, their stuff sack/inflation bag is superb though! A mate has a cheap inflating mat from go outdoors (replaced a Thermarest) and raves about it. I think if weight is no issue then any inflating mat will do the job. For lightweight backpacking go Exped!

IfInDoubt

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Up North and Down South

I would avoid these, they are pretty poor quality (or at least hit and miss) they tend to separate and end up with big bubbles in them - like trying to sleep on a half inflated Swiss ball. I carry a thermarest AND a closed cell sleeping mat, may be a bit of overkill but very comfy and when wrapped together not that bulky (and a closed cell mat is negligible weight for most folks surely), the foam one is used as a protective layer if sleeping on rough ground or as an admin layer if on muddy/wet ground and I can't be bothered with a ground sheet

As an aside I did once read a '101 things to do with a roll-mat' article which had some interesting points - flotation aide, neck brace, climbing rope protector plus a few others

lauriek

Jan 30, 2012
Kent
I would avoid these, they are pretty poor quality (or at least hit and miss) they tend to separate and end up with big bubbles in them - like trying to sleep on a half inflated Swiss ball. I carry a thermarest AND a closed cell sleeping mat, may be a bit of overkill but very comfy and when wrapped together not that bulky (and a closed cell mat is negligible weight for most folks surely), the foam one is used as a protective layer if sleeping on rough ground or as an admin layer if on muddy/wet ground and I can't be bothered with a ground sheet

As an aside I did once read a '101 things to do with a roll-mat' article which had some interesting points - flotation aide, neck brace, climbing rope protector plus a few others

Many thanks to all of you for the comments, particularly IfInDoubt, it was this particular one I was looking at due to it's cheapness and relatively compact size. Guess as with most things in life you get what you pay for..

I have lots to think on...

I am put off of the pure airbeds, I dunno entirely why, just not sure I like the concept of what's basically a flash lilo, plus not sure about the whole blowing it up thing!

The main reason I decided to 'upgrade' from a basic closed cell foam matt is the sheer size of the bloody things, I was trying to get everything inside my pack (which is a Dutch army sting with PLCE) - and there's no way in hell one of those is going to go inside with my other stuff. Guess I could just get another one and hang it off the bottom of the pack as I used to do.

I gather the airbeds and self inflaters Are more comfortable than a closed cell matt but not if punctured! ;) I appreciate it's possible to fix a puncture in the wild but I imagine it could be fun trying to locate it without a bath/large bucket to submerge the thing in.

So as I say, lots to think on, thanks all!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi!

Tree roots, the odd stone, Jack Russell's are fine. A brush past a Hawthorn or Rose will give you a lousy night. You'll be unlikely to find the hole and repair it. If you get one, pack it in the middle of your rucksack, then pack around it, it's your most precious and valuable item.

My Multimat is still going strong, the Alpkit was rubbish.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
Took a Thermarest Prolite Plus to Sweden in improvised shelters with spruce bough floors - if pointy branches can't puncture it, I wouldn't worry too much about general woodland camping (esp inside a tent/bivvy).

However, I have used one of these grey NATO folding mats in the UK:
military-sleeping-mats-nato-large.jpg

It's your basic closed cell mat, but it folds up to the size of a magazine (well, half a dozen magazines stacked up) and goes quite nicely inside any multi-day pack. A tenner ont' net.

Wouldn't use it on snow though!

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
After two decades behind the counter I would say, Therm-a-rest is quite ok, Exped very much unreliable.
Forget the Ul ones, you want the heavier Nylon on the outside. The repair-kits work, but you have to find the hole first. If its really tiny, you are lost.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a pair of original thermarests that I have had for 17 or 18 years and not had a single puncture, a lot can be said for clearing the ground well

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
my old therm-a-rest guide lite must be 17 years old now and still going strong....I punctured it with, erm, something hot that that fell out of a roll up
At glastonbury 2003 or 2004. I just put a blob of the repair glue on it and not even thought about it since

I'v often looked at the new ultra light jobs, esp the exped ones...but the old campaigner just seems bombproof in comparison

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE