Self Heating Mug/Meal/Cup ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

No - not personally Although I did look at them in depth some time back.

They used to be offered by Trekmate and then Baro has taken over.
There is a Cup and a Tupperware type thing - I was interested in the Tupperware box thing as I could see it being of more use if stuck in a car or bivvy to warm food.

From what I remember the Cup itself ( not the outer ) doesn't actually heat/hold that much fluid.

I was more put off by the costs of the heat packs - it soon mounts up.
I did wonder if using the Tupperware box if one could utilise one own heating element via the way of using the thermic reaction of quick lime. I never got as far as buying a 25kg bag but if ( IF!! ) it works one could do cheap reheats.

hth

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you add water to quick lime would it not melt the container it was in?
I think from what I remember the bottom outer case was Metal - the inner which had a void airspace between the chemical and inner plastic would i think (?) maybe work.

I was trying to decide if it was possible because only then did it become cost feasible.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It seems a really good idea,i just don't know how to bag the lime as to make it work.
I was wondering if one could use one of those super fine mesh tea leaf holders you get in kitchen type shops?

OIP.jpg

As long as the inner vessel was hermitically sealed within the larger and the larger had a metal bottom - I think it could work. But I am used to not believing everything I think... :)

Reactions: billycoen

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
As long as the inner vessel was hermitically sealed within the larger and the larger had a metal bottom - I think it could work. But I am used to not believing everything I think..
You do realise that if it goes horribly wrong me acting career is kaput...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I haven’t used one, but it seems a very niche product. We have stoves and heat storage. Wood, Butane, Propane, Paraffin, Petrol, Coleman fuel, and vacuum flasks for food and hot water when we don’t. All tried and tested, no muss no fuss.

I suppose if you were in a situation where none of those options could be used, like emergency services then it could be useful. This is their marketing. If that’s you, then go for it.

As a novelty story thing and well aside from this product, my only experience with self heating products was the Nescafé coffee can. In 2002, Nestlé were taking over Cadbury, hoping to introduce the foul Hershey chocolate brand to our markets. In order to distract the British consumer from the horrible things they did to our chocolate, and the baby milk powder scandal (look it up), they introduced the self-heating coffee can but discontinued it the same year.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I haven’t used one, but it seems a very niche product. We have stoves and heat storage. Wood, Butane, Propane, Paraffin, Petrol, Coleman fuel, and vacuum flasks for food and hot water when we don’t. All tried and tested, no muss no fuss.

I suppose if you were in a situation where none of those options could be used, like emergency services then it could be useful. This is their marketing. If that’s you, then go for it.

As a novelty story thing and well aside from this product, my only experience with self heating products was the Nescafé coffee can. In 2002, Nestlé were taking over Cadbury, hoping to introduce the foul Hershey chocolate brand to our markets. In order to distract the British consumer from the horrible things they did to our chocolate, and the baby milk powder scandal (look it up), they introduced the self-heating coffee can but discontinued it the same year.

I remember the Nescafé thing, I recall it wasn’t that effective either and volume of coffee to size of can was all wrong, loads of can and heating stuff but not a huge amount of coffee!

Used properly the flameless ration heater is quite good, and with a zip lock baggie you can heat fluid with it. The ‘speed heater’ ones which I think came out of polish ration packs are excellent - hotter and longer lasting than the American MRE ones

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE